It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User
How bad will it be?

I am getting a little anxious and nervous about my current situation. YES, I am very proud that I am 5 full days off Hydro, but I have never done it this way. I feel like a part of me is missing this time b/c I am not drug free. Using small amounts of codeine and darvocet ( 1-3 8mg codeine tab from 3:00pm - 9:00pm and 1 darvocet before bed) to make the WD's manageable so I can work. That has worked pretty good. I can feel the effects of the Hydro leaving my system, BUT I am still upset that I am poisioning my body.

QUESTION: At those doses (give or take a few)- when I flush them all in one week, which will make a total of 2 weeks on the codeine and darvocet, will the Withdrawals be bad? I hope I dont have to start from scratch again. I am prepared to do that though, if needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: How bad will it be?

Hi FullO

Oh, man, I have this confession to make to you.... I have been avoiding any responses to your posts because I have been edgy and uncomfortable with what you have been doing with the Davocet and Codeine. I think that these two drugs contain the same basic element of the Vicodin and that is what has made me edgy about what you have been doing. I did not respond earlier because your path has to be your path.

However, maybe now is the time to spill my guts here. Chuckles. No, not chuckles, because I do not find it funny really... I laugh when I am nervous. Sorry. In all sincerity, I believe you are going to have a real "feelable" step off coming. I hope, I hope, I am wrong. I really do.

What I think you should do at this point is to get all the supplies from the Home Detox thread that could even possibly apply to you and start with the vitamin and supplement regimen right away. Then sit down now while your thinking is clear and straight and write down on a paper you can keep handy, all the things that have helped you through other withdrawals. ASk Wife to keep a copy also so she can verbally remind you of things like, "Breathe deeply," "the depression is only temporary," things like that. I guess I have a gut feeling of 'prepare for the worst and hope to be surprised by the best."

FullO, Buddy, this has been hard to write. I hope you can read it with acceptance that I write it in love and not in a doomsday perspective. We will all be here for you however it goes.... good, bad, or otherwise. I am posting sporadically, but many others are here for you more consistently.

Stay strong, Friend, because no matter how it goes, it will go and then you will move on in recovery. Take it day by day, minute by minute, always remembering that the goal is there and reachable for you.

Love
reach

Last edited by reachout; 11-08-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Heya

I am sorry if I upset you! Where the heck are you? Where did you go? I am in a bit of torment here, Buddy, waiting for some kind of response from you. Please. Anything... tell me I am off base. I can take that easily. I tried to write in friendship with honestly.. do the same for me.

If my words were too harsh, then give back at me... I don't hand out anything I can not take in return.

I have to go out and take care of a few business errands. I will be back in a few hours. I am thinking of you and hoping all is well.

reach

Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

lisaboston HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle9707 View Post
I am getting a little anxious and nervous about my current situation. YES, I am very proud that I am 5 full days off Hydro, but I have never done it this way. I feel like a part of me is missing this time b/c I am not drug free. Using small amounts of codeine and darvocet ( 1-3 8mg codeine tab from 3:00pm - 9:00pm and 1 darvocet before bed) to make the WD's manageable so I can work. That has worked pretty good. I can feel the effects of the Hydro leaving my system, BUT I am still upset that I am poisioning my body.

QUESTION: At those doses (give or take a few)- when I flush them all in one week, which will make a total of 2 weeks on the codeine and darvocet, will the Withdrawals be bad? I hope I dont have to start from scratch again. I am prepared to do that though, if needed.
taking darvocet and codeine for withdrawl symtoms is in my opinion is ridiculous.Stop cold turkey and feel the full effects of withdrawl and maybe you will think twice before popping another pill in your mouth.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

lisaboston HB User

I Wish You Great Luck And A Comfortable Recovery.

Last edited by lisaboston; 11-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
(female)

cam724 HB User

listen darvocet is MINOR compared to vicodin....u are only taking one a night.....when i went off perc, i used darvocet and tramadol off and on to help with w/d's and they helped tremendously, and when those were gone i was "ok". everyone responds differently, do what works...keep ur head up

Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

deleted...apparently I was wrong...

Last edited by emsmom; 11-08-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
(male)

Lou1 HB User

I think I can reply to this thread with a bit of personal experience. This past spring, I stopped an 8-10 pill per day habit of hydrocodone (10mgs). I was also presribed darvocet, which I took about 6 a day on top of the hydros (I know...bad bad). Well, I was really scared about stopping the hydro, cuz I had been reading all the horror stories of peoples' experiences on this forum. To my surprise, I was able to stop the hydro cold turkey with withdrawals that were uncomfortable, but in no way debilitating.

Several weeks after stopping the hydros, I decided to get off the darvocet as well. I had lowered my daily intake of the darvocet to about 4 a day when I made the jump. I expected a withdrawal no worse than had occurred with the hydro. Well, I was sadly mistaken. The darvocet withdrawal was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I was physically sick as a dog for a week, then I was completely overwhelmed with anxiety....so severe that at day 13 of my detox, I went to the ER, desperate for relief.

To make a long story short....I made it. My doctor worked with me and prescribed clonidine to help with the physical withdrawals and some klonopin to ease the extreme anxiety. I was only on the klonopin for a little over a week....all the while under my doctor's care to make sure I didn;t add another addiction.

What I now realize in hindsight is that the hydrocodone withdrawal was masked by my taking the darvocet...but my opiate addicted brain reacted severely once I stopped providing some sort of narcotic.

I hope you have an easier time than I did. My best advice to you is to partner with a physician to help you through this.

Good Luck,
Lou

Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
(male)

Lou1 HB User

FullO...

After re-reading my post, I wanted to clarify something. I know my previous post could cause you some anxiety and frighten you. That was NOT my intention at all. I was only trying to build on the post that "Reach" made earlier about really being prepared for the withdrawal that will inevitably strike. BUT....and here is the good news.....you CAN (and will! ) succeed! I am probably the World's biggest wimp when it comes to tolerating pain and sickness, and I MADE IT! Having read a number of your posts under your new nic and the old Meddguy name, I know you are a resilient guy who has all the strength to get through this.
So, I apologise if my earlier post unnerved you in any way. Be prepared for withdrawal after you stop the darvocet, utilizing the suggestions outlined in the Home Detox Remedy thread....but hold onto the knowledge on how wonderful your life will be once those couple of weeks of discomfort pass and you are FREE!

Good luck,
Lou

Old 11-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hi O,
I went cold turkey from a mix of pain killers. Originally said hydro but now thinking back, I was last using oxycontin and morphine. Not huge amounts but a couple to 4 a day. More like 4 a day then 2 when the supply started to dwindle. I survived and even worked through the whole thing. Didn't even realize I was in withdrawal. Took advil, imodium and went to the doctor thinking something was wrong with me. I have to laugh about that now.
Anyway, you've been tapering so long and have not been taking huge amounts of the darvocet and codiene so personally, I think you will be fine.
Won't be fun, but won't be that bad either. Hang in there and post something dam...t!
Hugs,
JB

Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

it will be as bad as your mind makes you believe it to be. i myself think you will have a pretty easy w/d once you quit taking everything.when your time off work comes stop taking everything asap.run bath water as hot as you can stand it and turn heater on in bathroom and sweat as much as you can stand it.this will get the darvo and cod. out your body faster.the faster its out of the body the faster you start to heal back,and you want to feel half decent when you go back to work and i think you will if you do as you say you are going to do.good luck-spark

Old 11-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

hey folks --I am here and I am OK!! REACH --dont worry. Your words are AWAYS taken to heart and not negatively. Lou--thanks for the research, I am a real (unfortunate) veteran.

FIRST--Dont think I dont know what I am doing. I am not fooling myself. I KNOW darn well that I should NOT be feeling good right now. BUT you know what. I can work. That is the most important thing to me. I ran out of HYDRO and can never and WILL never get it again. I have come clean to my DR. made all my records say that I was ALLERGIC to it and now I can not get it EVER again off the net or from my GP. So that is that. As far as the Darvocet and Codeine. It is not right, but I TOTALLY realize what I am doing. I am making it so that I can get through the day. I know my body. I have done this 5 times. At day 5 without hydro, I felt better and that is good. In a week when I quit the the "stupid" cocktail of USELESS opiods, I will feel bad for a few more days, I know that and I will post on here HOW BAD I FEEL and how stupid I was (at 3:45am) BUT in the meantime, I have to feed my family. I am on the road right now and VERY proud of myself. I havent had ANY darovcet today and I have had 3 codeine (8mg). Yes, I will wake up at 3:00am and have to take benedryl to sleep the rest of the night, but that is what I am willing to do, so that I do not go into FULL WD'S and ruin my career.

Please understand. I love you all and your words. We would make the best NA group. I respect and acknowledge your worries. IF ANY of you think that I will make my withdrawl any WORSE by doing what I am doing right now, then I will stop ASAP. But I think that because I could not go CT this time and that I could not taper due to lack of hydro, then I had to use the only resources I had until the 10 day vacation I have at the end of next week.

O

Old 11-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Good morning all --just wanted to let all of you know that I am thinking of you today. The reason I did not post all day till last night was because I am on a 4 day Business Trip. Ya, in the middle of all this. Hotel rooms stink. Nothing better than your own bed.

Just so NO ONE gets confused. Here is what I have been doing.

yesterday. Felt fine all day. Took 1 8mg codeine for car ride (6 hrs). Took 1 at business dinner with clients. Took 2 at 9:00 for bed with simply sleep and that was it. I have only been taking the Darvocet in the middle of the night to get back to sleep at 3:00am. I did not need it last night for the first time. I think you SCARED it out of my mind --That is the reality. I will try and have even less by next weekend.

So, I will ask again --How bad will it be? --after 2 weeks, no hydro, 1-4 8mg codeine and NO DARVOCET.

O

Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

hey full-O

i dont know but it seems to me that you;re getting your body used to less and less opiate and that when you finally do ct it wont be bad at all. you're not holding off anything..... you're doing a true taper i think. less and less and less. your body is now used to 1 -4 8mg codiene ( a much less potent drug than hydro) a day. so, yes, you will have some wd. but nothing like what you would have had going ct off of what you WERE taking.

Take Care O

michelle

Last edited by oh-notagain; 11-09-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Closed Thread