It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User
Class action law suit

Does anyone know anything about the Class Action law suit against oxicontin? My boss asked me about it today.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
Re: Class action law suit

im from ky and i dont agree with the lawsuit one bit.i think it will be throwed out of court before it even gets started.same ole thing everybody wants to blame someone else for something they themselves have done.i hope oxy wins this one.the ones that suffer are the pain patients that really need this medication and because of me and other addicts it has made it almost impossible for them to get this med.i know i will catch heck for feeling like this but thats just the way it is.-spark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

i dont blame you spark. i feel the same way. pharma came up with a wonderful, time released drug that works great for pain patients. then we come along and screw that all up for them... its too bad that its now so hard for them to get. not everyone abuses their meds. i blame ME for abusing my meds, not the company that made them. Thats assinine !

michelle

Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i didint mean you personelly mechelle,i was talking in general terms here.not directed at any one person.hope you didnt take it the wrong way.-spark

Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-o-cet View Post
i didint mean you personelly mechelle,i was talking in general terms here.not directed at any one person.hope you didnt take it the wrong way.-spark
Oh no !!! LOL i didnt think you were talking to me personally at all. i was just agreeing with your statement !!!

michelle

Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

cool,had me worried for a little bit.glad you are laughing at me.good luck-spark

Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi All,

I've never posted on this board. I'm usually on the pain and kidney board. I take Oxycontin 160 mg twice/daily and Actiq (fentanyl) for breakthrough pain. These drugs are a GODSEND to me. My kidneys are the source of my pain, or should I say kidney since I had the left one removed a year ago. I live in horrible, excruciating pain everyday. I feel so bad for the people who have been caught up in the illegal use of OC and I hope and pray OC is NEVER taken off the market.

My only remaining kidney is failing (I'm only 36) and I'm not expected to live more than 2 more years. If it is pulled from the market, I hope to God I'm dead by then. Again, I'm so sorry for the hell these people have been through with OC and the illegitimate use of it. Just please keep in mind how many pain patients it helps, ya know?? God bless and take care!!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i agree with ya,us addicts have done it to ourselves.you will never hear me blame the pills,dr,drug store,or anybody but myself for my addiction to opiate pills.it is cause of people like me and others that make it hard for you to get the pain medicine that you need,and i apologize for it.hope you have a pain-free day and night-spark

Old 11-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

I think the main issue for me is that they did not accurately research and relay (because they did not do the proper research) on some of the side effects of the drug and some of the aspects of its addictive qualities. I was reading about it and this site posted some of the original inserts that came with the med, and they basically told people only about half of the side effects (actually they showed all the inserts up until present compared side to side and they kept adding more and more each time they released a new one) they also told docs that the WDs were minimal with the taper plan they recommended which was 30% every 3 days, getting off in less than 1 weeks with no additional drugs needed. As most of us know, that is not realistic at all. They also did not account for the people who were on it long periods of time. Now, they know that every one is different and taper schedules are a little more realistic. The reason they are in trouble is not because people got addicted, it is because they released the drug before they really knew the long term affects and did not properly warn or prepare anyone. They had a doc talking about how she had told all of her patients what she was told by the manufacturers drug reps and couldn't believe what was happening to her patients. One of the side effects they didn't mention earlier I guess was Anorexia when you stop. People just stop eating. They also did not stress the psychological dependency. THe point is, they are in trouble for not properly warning people about the severity of the dependency and when people started having to spend thousands of dollars in office visits, other meds, treatments facitilities etc. that is when it became an issue. The insurance companies are also ticked because of the increase in treatments for people on the med. What is crazy is that there are people were getting and taking the drug illegally trying to get on the class action suit. They claim would never had used if they new!

I was on this med legitamately and granted, I stayed on it longer than I should have and take some accountability for those actions however, I was told for a long time that this drug was no big deal and not to worry about the addiction. I mean, look at what we are going through to get off of it. The only reason that we are in this position is because our docs prescribed based on what they believed was a responsible treatment and maybe treatment would have been different had they known how bad it could be don't you think? We also would have maybe chosen something else. Addiction is hard no matter what, but the psychological part that comes with this drug was completely underestimated I think.

I was also on Phen-fen so I am not exactly pro pharmecudical companies. I don't trust that they have our best interest at heart. Maybe all this information I read is al BS too. How do any of us know anymore what the real story is???

BTW I think it is awesome whoever said that they take responsiblilty for making it hard for people to get the med who really need it. (I think that is what I read) I just thought that was such an honorable thing to say!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

IT WAS ME:-SPARK

Old 11-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

mini59 HB User

Unfortunately, lots of people find out about intense adverse effects AFTER they've been put on lots of different medications. I'm not saying it's right, but there could conceivably be class action lawsuits on tons of drugs. How could people not be aware of the potential for abuse with Oxy?? It's like, duh- it's a heavy duty narcotic!

I was on Effexor for 20 years and no one warned me about the hellacious withdrawals I would encounter from that (even with a taper). All you have to do now is google Effexor withdrawal to see that there are millions of ****** off people everywhere. There are many doctors around who still have no clue that there IS such a thing as withdrawal from SSRIs! Withdrawal from narcotics? Well, of course....but from an anti-depressant?? Who knew? Certainly not all the millions of people suffering right now. I must say, Effexor worked really well for me-and at that time I needed it. I consider it almost a trade-off. It got me out of some dark times, and for that I'm thankful. Yes, withdrawal was horrific, but I wouldn't jump in a class action lawsuit because of it.

K.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

excellent point and post mini,hope all is well with you today.its like you said,even tho the company had some people not tell everything about it,if you were prescribed oxy for any kind of pain,it should have just been common knowledge that dependency was a certinity.the very first time a person did any kind of addictive behavior with oxy,they should have gone to the dr and made it known right then and there,rather than just keep takin larger and larger doses of it and buyin it off the street.i dont know,i just cant hold the company liable here at all.if you really think about it,they are not liable for our addiction.just the thoughts of a burned out drug addict.good luck-spark

Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

mini59 HB User

Hey spark- thanks! I just wanted to jump in because I totally agree with what you said. We're such a libelous country. If I get hooked on a narcotic, you're damned right- I have no one to blame but myself. BTW, this is coming from someone (me) who had a relatively short flirtation with Vicodin, then Tramadol. I went through a period of about several months of drug seeking behavior after getting a sub for V's after an operation. Oooh, I liked it too much and I knew, pretty much right off the bat, that I was asking for trouble. But I kept going to different docs about my phantom sciatica pain....then I ordered stuff off the web. I withdrew from them, plunged back into a deep depression coupled with anxiety, went to the doc, who put me on low doses of Zoloft and Xanax (which I take really sparingly), and now I feel like I'm coming out of it again. I am thankful that my flirtation was brief. It took reading and lurking on this board and others to open my eyes to the hell that most definitely would have awaited me, had I continued. It scared the daylights outta me.

I am due for another operation next week and hmmm....will I be able to take the V's "as directed" or only as needed? God, I hope so. I'll remember all the things I have read here, that's for sure !

K.

Last edited by mini59; 11-17-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Thank you Spark! It's soooo hard to live in this type of pain. It totally drains you! I don't know what I would do without my meds. Well, yes, I do. I would probably kill myself. Anyway, thanks again for your honesty!

Closed Thread