It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
(male)

Danarlicca HB User
liver scan.alcohol

Hi,
My partner is a heavy drinker, he`s 42. Due to bad side and back he went to hospital and had a blood test. The Doc asked him for another blood test. Then Doc said blood was abnormal and need a liver scan. On a scale of 1 to 10, should he be worried?
Thanks.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: liver scan.alcohol

Hello Dan

Any heavy drinker needs to have concerns about the liver. It is one of the organs impacted by heavy alcohol use. A vital organ and yes, of course, there needs to be concern. But of course you already knew that. Smiles.

I believe you are really asking if anyone here thinks that your partner may be dying? Or could die from this?

I am sorry for your pain because whenever we see someone we love, we hurt also. We don't stop loving, we just hurt alongside our partner. I think this would be a good time in your life to start attending some Al-anon meetings to understand your partner's alcoholism. It is a hard thing to face when our partners behave in ways that jeopordize their very lives, and in turn, jeopodize our emtional well-being and happiness. As his partner, you need to take his illness as seriously as he does. No one gets sober alone. And no one heals from the effects of a partner's alcoholism alone. To help him, you need to help you.

No one here can give you a number as to his current health. What I can say, is that if his behaviour continues without change, the final number is going to be 6... 6 feet under. And no one need be a six... there is hope always to get out from under the addiction to alcohol, drugs, food, sex, whatever the base of the issue. It takes so much hard work, life-changing behaviour changes and thinking, but always, always there is the hope it can be done. Many have done it ( myself included) and there is nothing but a renewed chance at a happy healthy life awaiting on the other side of the hard work.

Best wishes to you both
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danarlicca View Post
Hi,
My partner is a heavy drinker, he`s 42. Due to bad side and back he went to hospital and had a blood test. The Doc asked him for another blood test. Then Doc said blood was abnormal and need a liver scan. On a scale of 1 to 10, should he be worried?
Thanks.

Last edited by Phoenix; 11-11-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
(male)

Danarlicca HB User

Thanks Reachout, a really good reply! I`m really scared, my partner says he cannot imagine a life without his alcohol, I`d think he would do suicide, he needs his drink as normal people need to breathe.
My daughter winds him up and says you may as well do yourself in know, she only says it for a laugh, as teens do, but I know how serious he is. help me please...

Last edited by Danarlicca; 11-11-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danarlicca View Post
Thanks, a really good reply! I`m really scared, my partner says he cannot imagine a life without his alcohol

Last edited by Phoenix; 11-11-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

reach is very right in what she just told you(hi reach).if he had blood work done,and the doc wanted another confirmation test and is now wanting to actuallty scan the liver,i really am wondering how much damage and function loss showed up on the labs he did on him.did he say whther this would be a CT or an ultrasound?the US is actually a much better test for actual function as it can check the real blood flow thu certain key areas of the liver,like the portal vein.if he has some level of cirhosis,the US needs to be done just to CHECK that blood flow since the portal vein seems to be the thing that gets hit and changes labs first.once that P vein gets blocked,it causes whats called portal hypertension to occur.this has to be treated and addressed.my son went thru liver failure back in 99-2000(he was only 12),and i too have a kidney and liver disease.i have to have yearly USs and labs done to check my function.

i really am sorry your partner has to go thru this as well as yourself.i would follow up on reaches suggestions and just try and be there for him while this is being assessed.could you possibly find out just what lab work is actually out of range?this would give me a better idea of just where he is at with function?

your partner needs to be obtaining copies of all test results just so he has all the medical info in his own possession.this just comes in very handy,espescially if he should need to go to the ER?.having all that vital info right there in some type of folder really makes things go so much more smoothly for him and ther docs since they would have a 'baseline' of the last testing results to compare to.i did this with my son,and believe me,i was very glad i did.again,i really am sorry for where his alcoholism has landed him right now.the more info you can actually find out,the better info and advice i can give you.but he really DOES need that ultrasound done to check the bloodflow thru that P vein.please keep us posted on how the both of you are doing,K? good luck with this.hopefully things are not as bad as they could be with him.marcia

Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

My daughter winds him up and says you may as well do yourself in know, she only says it for a laugh, as teens do,

Dan,
Please.... your daughter may laugh when saying these words, but they are dead on true. Her laughter following the words is but a cover-up to the anguish your partner's drinking is causing in her life. Addiction is an illness that effects every single person in the addicted one's life in one way or another. I don't know if your daughter cares about Partner at all, but I do believe she cares about you and certainly about herself. And Partner is causing her dad anguish and is stealing time from her and her dad.

It is not easy to see a loved one suffering... just like you suffer watching Partner's actions, your daughter suffers watching you suffer. How could a situation so close to your heart not impact your relationship with your daughter. Ask her outright... I think she may give you a reality check on what Partner's actions are doing to the relationship she has with you. Personally, I think I would abhor the man for causing turmoil in my family if I were her. The issue is so much wider than just Partner's health. Of course his health is a serious matter... so is family, though. Tackle it as a family matter and do your part... get to an Al-Anon meeting. What yoiu will find there are not only people going through what you are and who understand, but also pweople who will have good, solid adice for you and they will offer it with open arms. Attending Al-Anon in no way equates with saying that it is a path to ending the relationship. Although that sometimes may occur, it can also follow a path to restored family. Tackle it headon NOW or there will be no hope for any of you in this. Get proactive. Investigate right now where a meeting is located and get to it.

And talk to your daughter about this. Who wants a dad who lets his life be controlled by another's illness and actions? Set an example to her of how to handle problems by tackling them and not sitting by and just watching disaster in the making. You are the middle man in this situation by default. By necessity, it is yours to do something about.

Best wishes for strength in this
reach

Closed Thread