It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
(male)

mark33 HB User
Vics making me depressed and scared

Hi everyone. I started with the vics about 2 years ago. Most of that time I was taking 2 or 3 750s maybe once or twice a week. Now for the past few weeks I've been taking 5 of them every other day. I starting to get really scared. I need to stop but I want to do it myself without getting a doctor involved. I don't want to upset my wife and family. My question is am I too far gone to do it on my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Vics making me depressed and scared

Hello Mark

Buddy, I am glad you are recognizing you are in jeopardy here. I can share with you a synopsis of my own experience. I started on pain meds a long time ago and somewhere as the years went by, I crossed the line from legitimate use to misuse and abuse of them to treat emotional pain and not physical pain. I never even understood that I had.

Last year, with other issues in play also, my use of narcotics peaked in a full and total breakdown. I went into a depression that I could not fathom ever pulling out of. It was only with a lot of medical help and counseling and support from family, friends and God that I am off the drugs and able to share with you today. For me, it took a full year to withdraw.

The opiates, like Vicoden, actually cause depression in two ways.. first, by theirchemical make up alone, they act on the brain in a way that causes depression with long term use. ( two years, even at a fairly low dose, is long term. Secondly, once our bodies become accustomed to taking them, we go through "mini withdrawals" constantly when a dose is skipped.

You need to withdraw and in my opinion, to try and do it on your own is fruitless. Much of your fear is being caused because you are hiding it (we have all been there). If you think your wife may be suspicious now( and don't fool yourself into thinking she has no idea something is amiss).ait until you try to hide withdrawal. It is just not possible.

You need to face the fear and step into it bravely. It is unbelievable the weight that is lifted when wespill our guts to out mates and a doctor. That fear is then removed and then we can get busy with getting the drugs out of us and moving forward into living without them.

There is a great thread at the top of this board.. Sample home Detox... it gives great, solid advice for preparing for a detox. I employed much of it... in conjunction with working with a doctor and my family. Please don't try to make this a solo journey. Support is just vital for success. And work on the underlying problems of why you have abused drugs needs to be done in order not to fall right back into using again.

Wishing you the best
reachout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
(male)

mark33 HB User

Thanks Reachout for your advice. I really appreciate it. I told my wife and she understood and is very supportive. I'm on the morning of day 2 and i am not experiencing any physical symptoms such as the acute anxiety I experienced yesterday. I just have an intense craving. This is more psychological than physical.

Thanks again.
Mark33

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Mark

I am so very happy that you have shared with Wife. A big step and I am sure it was a difficult one to take. But it is done, the hiding is over, and now you can move forward. Good for you!

Mark, the intense craving is physical as well as psychological! The brain is sending out signals that in essence are saying, "hey! Where is my dose of Vicoden??!!" It is going to take a bit of time for the brain to start producing again naturally what you were giving it synthetically. You might also experience some back pain and muscle pain. That is the body searching for any remnants of the drug that might be in you. It searches for a while until it finally gives up and the brain triggers the body to produce everything naturally again.

There may be some depression as the body and brain withdraw. Again, the ehaling comes with time. The brain will again begin to produce the natural 'feel good' chemicals that we need. You can help the process along greatly with some exercise... even if you don't feel like it, do it. Take a walk, do some housecleaning (scrub that floor, Man!). This will speed along the process of restoration in the body and brain.

Last bit of advice ( and to me just about the most important), get some live help with this entire issue. Most failure in staying clean comes because we fail to recognize that coming off drugs involves a lot more work than just withdrawal. As hard as withdrawal can be, it is but the first step into really getting clean. There must be aftercare included in any solid plan to get off, stay off and become aware that drugs must always be a well monitored issue for us. Be it NA, AA, private counseling, whatever... there is an absolute need to get to the root of why we abused drugs. And always, always, there IS a root. Please don't neglect this area in your efforts.

Wishing you the very best in this and much happiness as you overcome this. I am glad you have a supportive spouse to work with you. She works with you in love. Now there also needs to be people in your life who will work with you because of experience in addiction.

With all hope
reach

Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
(male)

ahickey1 HB User

Hello, i'm a newbie. I had my left kidney taken out 3 weeks ago. I've been eating 10-12 vics a day. I quit taking them 2 days ago. I can't sleep, i'm sick, got the runs and my body is severly craving more vics. The pain is not too bad anymore but I have this urge to call the doc for a refill. I know where this is headed. My question is, can you really have withdraw symptoms after only 3 weeks of use? How much longer does this last. I've never felt like this. I've gone through 150 vicoden and 50 percocet since the surgery.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

muriel79 HB User

Mark, good for you for telling another what's happening, that you've got a problem with opiates. That's the first step to getting clean.

Detoxing was a walk in the park compared to what came afterwards. I stopped cold turkey because I knew I was incapable of weaning myself off the pills. Yes, I'm an addict. I detoxed in treatment, but there was no magic pill to kill what my body went through.

That's where NA and AA came into the picture. I've learned how to live clean and sober through what I learned at AA and NA. Working and living the 12 Steps of NA and AA help me to this day.

I went to my first 12 Step meeting when I was still detoxing. In rteatment we were offered the option to go and I took it. I've never regretted it.

I knew I needed more help than to try and do it on my own. Also, I didn't know how to do it alone. AA and NA helped provide a road map for helping me get to where I wanted to go.

You mentioned not wanting to tell your doctor, but telling him or her is probably one of the best things you can do. Tell all your healthcare providers you want to get and stay clean. They can red flag your charts so you aren't prescribed anything addictive.

You're feel rough this next five days or so while you detox, but it can be done.

Keep talking to us here and keep hanging in.

I wish you the very best as you undertake this journey of recovery,

Muriel

Closed Thread