It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
(male)

lnhguy HB User
Need My Wife To Know What To Expect

Hi I'll cut to the chase. I need my wife to hear from others what to expect from tapering. I've been on narcotics for about ten years along with other meds and for the last 2 years I've beeen abusing the narcotics. Percocet 10/325 5 times a day, Avinza 90 mg 1 daily, soma 350 4 times a day, klonapin .5 mg 4 daily, gabapentin 600 mg 1 daily. For the past 3 months I've been taking my meds as RX no fooling around. Had a real bad back episode and ended having to see another doc in the same office. The next visit to my pcp she informed me that she was going to taper me because she and the doc that I had to go see (who turns out to be the head of the clinic) felt that narcotics don't work for me and that I would have less pain without them. They took me off all the meds except avinza now 180 mg and the soma. Every week the meds will be reduced. Come to find out my pcp said my mistake was that I went to see the other doc and they think its too risky on my part to take the meds I was on. I just want my wife to hear from others what this process is going to be like for me, how I will feel, act, ect...

Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
(male)

TJinPA HB User
Re: Need My Wife To Know What To Expect

Hi Inhguy - well dpending on how much of that stuff you were taking and how high your tolerance levels are you can certainly expect mild discomfort at best. Pretty much full blown W/D's at worst. I sugest you look at the top of this forum for some OTC remidies you can take to help you through this change. Does your wife not believe that you have been taking very powerfull opiate's and that the sudden decrease can/will cause you to go into withdrawls? I think that when you start to manifest physical symtoms of W/D's she will believe you, can't really fake them and who would want to?
Hope this helps TJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnhguy View Post
Hi I'll cut to the chase. I need my wife to hear from others what to expect from tapering. I've been on narcotics for about ten years along with other meds and for the last 2 years I've beeen abusing the narcotics. Percocet 10/325 5 times a day, Avinza 90 mg 1 daily, soma 350 4 times a day, klonapin .5 mg 4 daily, gabapentin 600 mg 1 daily. For the past 3 months I've been taking my meds as RX no fooling around. Had a real bad back episode and ended having to see another doc in the same office. The next visit to my pcp she informed me that she was going to taper me because she and the doc that I had to go see (who turns out to be the head of the clinic) felt that narcotics don't work for me and that I would have less pain without them. They took me off all the meds except avinza now 180 mg and the soma. Every week the meds will be reduced. Come to find out my pcp said my mistake was that I went to see the other doc and they think its too risky on my part to take the meds I was on. I just want my wife to hear from others what this process is going to be like for me, how I will feel, act, ect...
Typically a Dr's perception of taper is not real world reality. If the Dr tapers you at greater then 10% every 3-5 days then you will have mild withdrawal symptoms. Rule of thumb with a taper is to reduce at 5-10% every 3-5 days. Preferably 5% every 5 days would reduce WD symptoms to a very small minimum. 10% will also work but you will feel it a bit more. Anything greater then 10% every 3-5 days will be a tad painful. But its still better then CT thats for sure. Hopefully the PCP will work with you to create a rational taper schedule.

Good luck, see I just can't help but jump in here

Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnhguy View Post
I don't understand how your doc. thinks if you don't take pain meds. you'll have less pain? Anyways,If you stick to the taper plan,you still will have some wd's,but nowere as bad as going cold turkey. I wish you the best,and enjoy the holidays!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
(male)

lnhguy HB User

long acting pain meds have never really worked for me. They make me real groggy and do virtually nothing for my pain. The avinza did not work super sedaited at first. Went back to the doc the third day after they swithched me and the ended up reducing me to 120 of the avinza. Tried it sat. night and was real restless and woke up around 4 a.m. in the morning having withdarwl symptoms and after a little pondering on what to do decided to go back to the 180. At that point I took an extra 30 which brought me up to 150. That night I did not want to take the 180 again (too much) so I took a 90. Keep in mind that this is veterans day weekend. I really did not think that this would be that big of a deal, my doc doesn't get in the office till tuesday and I had an appt with her on Wed. I never called but when I went in the office I had told her what I had done. She was ******. Completely violated everything we had set up- origanal narcotics contract. I know that I have no right for anyone to trust me for the things that I have done in the past but if their is one thing I know is true I was not trying to pull one over on anyone. Now everyone is chalking it up to the addiction with which I was strugling with (still am but I have been taking evrything as rx)and don't believe a word that I say when I tell them what happened. Now I am on the fast track so they said as opposed to the 10% 10-12 week taper. And I have'nt even done anything wrong. After talking with my pcp, wife, and therapist I realize that I have broke many parts of my contract with them but I WAS NOT TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH ANYTHING!!!!!!PERIOD!!!!!!! The Head of the clinic says thay it is a proven fact that in some people pain is actually reduced or completley gone after going off narcotics. I have accepted the taper plan but I told them upfront that I am just willing to see how low I can go. Their have been plenty of times in the past week in a half were I have been in a lot of pain but I have dealt with it.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Agree that tapering has to be done slowly, and with both opiate and benzos being tapered - not just one, and yank you off the other. The gabapentin shouldn't be too bad. I had Soma for spasms, (just 2 at night, so not many), and I just quit taking those, with no side effects at all.

There are non-narcotic adjunct medications (like doxepin, carbamazepine, etc) that can help with different aspects of pain (like how the body perceives it) that might be of some use. Do you have access to a pain management MD who might be helpful with this? It's the pits to have pain, and then be taken off meds, that can cause pain during withdrawl.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
(male)

lnhguy HB User

Last night was my first night on 120mg. I feel like like crap. I don't know what you would call it but it was like seeing someone who you haven't seen in years and couldn't remember their name and it all the sudden came back to you. Their name, were they lived, and time you may have spent together. I've been on narcotics along with other meds to controll my back pain for along time coming on ten years and if someone would ask me what is wrong with your back I really couldn't remember what led me to take pain meds. I am talking about the actual pain. Since the start of my taper I've been having alot of pain, numbness, and tingling in my leg. Yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks, that is why I started on pain meds. I am having a lot of pain and am faced with the choice of taking meds to contrll it or not taking them and trying to control it with more conventional ways, exercise, massages, yoga, streching, ect... I ahve now screwed up with 2 doctors and feel like they is nothing left for me. The first was a PM doc and the 2nd was my pcp. My wife is ****** at me b/c I'm not doing streching exercise to help with it but I just feel like crap and its hard to do anything at this point. What do I do????????

Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

That is a lousy place to be.....physically feeling like crap, and feeling like your docs are not working with you. That does suck. If the meds aren't working, are your docs even willing to consider other meds, or safely getting you off of these, to try something else?
Or, do you need to just keep taking the meds for legitimate back pain? Do you get a 'high' from the meds, or pain relief? There's a big difference between physical dependence, and addiction..... which you're probably well aware of (don't mean to sound condescending). Just some things I thought of when reading your post.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
(male)

lnhguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurowreck View Post
That is a lousy place to be.....physically feeling like crap, and feeling like your docs are not working with you. That does suck. If the meds aren't working, are your docs even willing to consider other meds, or safely getting you off of these, to try something else?
Or, do you need to just keep taking the meds for legitimate back pain? Do you get a 'high' from the meds, or pain relief? There's a big difference between physical dependence, and addiction..... which you're probably well aware of (don't mean to sound condescending). Just some things I thought of when reading your post.
I know that I am getting eveerything that I deserve but I just feel lost on what to do. After the PM doc disaster my pcp took me over at this time which was about 3 mos. ago was when a really admitted to myself that I had a problem and really started working on it. During this time I felt I have made a lot of progress most people would probrably feel it was slim to none but to me it was BIG. I gave the meds to my mother to regulate, seening a therapist evry week, times were I would resist the temptation, started to feel better and I was going to come out of this. Yes I do have back problems I broke(cracked 2 vertabre), and ruptured a disc in 97-98. I think it was between L5-S1. Had surgery. Helped a lot. 2 recent MRI showed bulging in the same area as the surgery and 3 other bulging discs. Arthritis. Possible fascets disease. I know that I ahve a problem with meds but I also have a problem with my back. I am willing to taper and make a lifestyle change but its just so hard to do it when you feel like crap.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

NH -take a deep breath --relax for a second. You are doing what I do all the time. This one day at a time, not anything else. If you have been pooping ( i have a baby) or throwing up and cant keep fluid in you, then you have two choices RIGHT NOW. either take 3-4 immodium (works great and has an ingredient like hydro-so it helps) or find a walk in clinic or ER and tell them that you are tapering off meds for your back and you would like something to help the withdrawals. Let them know you are not asking for opiods, you are just asking for something to take off the edge for a few days. Ativan, valium or some blood pressure meds will help. They will know you are not fibbing due to your BP and pulse. It will be VERY HIGH. that is why we feel bad. I have just sucked it up and dealt with it the last few times, but that is me and you are you. Do what you have to do. We are here for you though --that should help some. I know it did for me.

O

Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

That's a lot to deal with, and you don't deserve lousy treatment- it's not like you asked for this. You're showing a lot of guts by even wanting to get off of the meds that you've been taking.

Take it as slow as you need to- keep in any fluids you can (ginger ale sometimes is good), saltines help with some of the nausea at times, you can ask your MD or pharmacist for some quinine for the leg cramps, but be sure it doesn't interfere with any other meds you're on.

You deserve respect and dignity with your care- it doesn't matter that you're on strong meds- they need to respect that you initiated tapering, and not be giving you grief about it all.... wish I could send you some chicken soup, but well wishes will have to do

Closed Thread