It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Kidney & Liver Damage from Opiates

I have a question. How much is too much? When and how long is it before opiates start destroying your kidneys and liver? For the last year or so I've taken maybe one or two a day. Before that, maybe a couple each month. I've read that you have to take more than the perscribed amount each day to really cause damage. I've had both organs checked in the last year and they've come back normal. Yet, I still worry I'm causing damage. I never take more than the perscribed amont. But I've been taking them long term for years now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Kidney & Liver Damage from Opiates

it isn't actually the 'opiate' part that casues the damage,its the amount of tylenol that is in it.as long as you stay under the 4000mgs per day limit for occasional use or the 3000mg per day chronic(daily) use,things should be okay.but tylenol is the main issue not the opiates.for some people tho whos livers and kidneys don't metabolize well or have other meds they are taking that can also tax the liver can be more susceptable to a certain higher level of damage even within those limits.it is just not that safe little innocuous drug that we have assumed it is all these years.it can casue liver and kidney failure in people who have been taking even the right amounts but for extended periods.i try and avoid tylenol at all costs these days.i put my liver and kidneys at very high risk during my active use years with addiction.i was dang lucky things didn't hit the fan since i didn;t even know i had an inherited type of liver and kidney disease til after i stopped using.

one big thing here about kidney and liver damage is alot depends on your own body physiology or any possible undiagnosed type of underlying kidney or liver disease.i have one particular type of kidney/liver disease that i guess is very common all my life but didn;t actually know it or find out about til i was around 40 years old when my then 12 year old son became gravely ill and went into liver failure.didn;t have a freaking clue that this polycystic kidney disease actually ran in our family.my labs were and still are amazingly well within the normal ranges but my ultrasound looks like absolute hell.you would never actually think my labs and that US could be from the very same person.anytime you really want to know how your liver or kidneys are doing completely,getting an ultrasound along with the standard labs is the best way to really see the whole entire picture.labs alone just wont show some levels of some pretty extensive disease processes only becasue the lab numbers wont change til that real damage hits some "magic' level.having labs and US are really the best possible way to see for sure whats going on within any organ.

if you are only taking a couple of tylenol based narcotics per day,you should be fine.staying under that daily limit is very important.that dose is kind of tied into just how much tylenol your body is capable of metabolizing safely within a 24 hour period.marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread