It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
(male)

ahickey1 HB User
Vicoden withdraw?

Hello, i'm a newbie. I had my left kidney taken out 3 weeks ago. I've been eating 10-12 vics a day. I quit taking them 2 days ago. I can't sleep, i'm sick, got the runs and my body is severly craving more vics. The pain is not too bad anymore but I have this urge to call the doc for a refill. I know where this is headed. My question is, can you really have withdraw symptoms after only 3 weeks of use? How much longer does this last. I've never felt like this. I've gone through 150 vicoden and 50 percocet since the surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User
Re: Vicoden withdraw?

Heya Hickey.... Sure, you can have the w/d's after just a few weeks. Try this.... Drink a cup or two of coffee every day for a month, and then just STOP. See what happens to your body. The human body is absolutely amazing....

But wow!! You have eaten a bunch of pills....maybe just a tad toooo much. If the pain isn't all that bad, maybe it's time to stop. Actually not maybe - but definately. Sure, it'll be tough for a few days - but after that short of a period of time, you'll feel like crap for a couple of days, then you'll be done.

SO worth it.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how you're making out.

tat*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hello Hickey,

So you haven't had anything for 2 days? Guess what? Only one more day of those icky feelings, and the worst is over. Stay with it, try to get outside and get some fresh air. Check out the second post on this board "Home Sample Detox" - it has alot of suggestions to help ease the withdrawal symptons.

Please please please DO NOT call for a refill. You're right - this is heading in the WRONG direction. You do NOT want to become like so many of on this board have become.

Stay with us, talk it out, ask for suggestions. There are alot of wonderful people on this board, with ALOT of knowledge.

Good luck, and hope all is well

Soncerely,
emsmom

Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

Emsmom is SO right!! I must have missed the fact that you've already been without for two days.... You're pretty-much gonna be DONE in a day or two. CONGRATULATIONS!! =)

tat*

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
(male)

ahickey1 HB User

I gotta say I feel truley sorry for those of you that have been dealing with this for so long. I never knew this could be sooooo bad. My heart is thumping and I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin. I hope it gets just a little better soon PLEASE. This is just horrible. Years ago I had a cocaine addiction for 5 years and been sober for 3 years. It was NEVER this bad it was more of a phsychological thing.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

muriel79 HB User

AHickey, skip the refill. You've stopped taking the pills for two days. Keep detoxing. It does get better.

Good for you on your recovery from coke addiction.

Yes, withdrawal feels like crappola, but the psychological part is the worst, IMO. Whether that's coke or pain pills or benzos or alcohol or any of it, an addiction is an addiction. Don't release yours again by refilling an rx you don't medically need.

Keep talking to us here while you withdraw. You can get through this.

Wishing you the best,

Muriel

Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
(male)

ahickey1 HB User

Once you peak out on withdraw and feel like your calming down a little can the withdraws come back or do they only peak once. I just realized in my post ealier that will typing with a clouded mind I didnt mention the 150 percocet I took before the surgery. They couldn't schedule me right away so they kept me sedated untill the surgery. Woe now that i look at it that 300 pills in 6 weeks that is a lot. Well I read the home detox thing and immediately jumped in the bath. It did help my legs and I do feel more comfortable. I still feel that deep down feeling of anxiety which I think is the worse. Its that edgy shaking irretable feeling. My diarrha has subsided also. Hopfully I might get some sleep tonight. Thanks to all that have responded, you have been great help. Iknow my problems can't compare to yours but I wish you luck and happy holidays to all.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

That's CRAZY. Sorry to say it, but your doc is an AZZ!! They normally take you off the meds prior to surgery - especially opiates - because then nothing will take the edge off your pain AFTER the surgery.

That actuay isn't an INCREDIBLE amount, either. It's not GOOD, but not horrible. I was on about that much - maybe more. If they were 5 mg pers/vics, that's only equivlent to 60 of what I take/took. That would be ten a week - I took 21 a week (of the 80mg's).

Keep your head high....you should be outta the woods soon.....real soon.

tat*

Last edited by tat2duser; 12-12-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
(female)

muriel79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2duser View Post
That actuay isn't an INCREDIBLE amount, either. It's not GOOD, but not horrible. I was on about that much - maybe more. If they were 5 mg pers/vics, that's only equivlent to 60 of what I take/took. That would be ten a week - I took 21 a week (of the 80mg's).

Keep your head high....you should be outta the woods soon.....real soon.

tat*
Tat, given AHickey's previous history with coke addiction and current desire to refill the rx in spite of tolerable pain, it is a problem. Addiction is not about how much this person took or what that person took. It's the addictive substance in the addict taken for any reason other than when absolutely, medically necessary.

There are no bragging rights for how much I took or John Doe used or anyone else. If that were the case, we could each almost always find a person who has used more and stronger and for longer. In such cases, surely there'd be someone to say, "That's nothing too serious. I took x.y.z., which is lots more than you."

My point is this: If I take one of anything tonight which is addictive or mind or mood altering, that one of whatever is potentially deadly to me. I'm an addict. That means I cannot go there. To do so kicks my addiction into high gear again.

In '03 I got clean for two months. I wasn't in recovery, but I was white knuckling my way through clean. I'd call what I did next a skip, but it wasn't. I freakin' used again.

I thought I'd get to start over, that it'd be like the first time, but it wasn't. I learned an ugly, nasty truth. You don't start over with addiction and alcoholism. You pick up right where you left off and that means that the way it whips your behind when you stopped is what it does when you start again.

Somehow I managed to get clean and enter recovery in less than a month of using again. I'd have been dead shortly thereafter had I not.

For me to compare my previous, specific substance usage to anyone else's is dangerous ground, IMO. It's romancing those old habits and I try not to go there.

It's not denying my addiction. I know what I did. I don't know when describing what I used and how much and the mg. or ounces can be a trigger for another person who is hanging on by a shred of a thread. I don't want to risk that for another person and this addiction is a risky, tricky thing. Our minds can go from the off position to obsessing about a substance with a phrase or memory or place or person or any number of things. I don't wish to contribute to that.

Just thinking outloud here, sharing my truth, what I know has worked for me, what has not.

I wish all of us the very best and clean, sober lives,

Muriel

Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
(male)

ahickey1 HB User
Unhappy Re: Vicoden withdraw?

Hey Muriel, I learned a lot from that thread. It was ery interesting and true. What I'm going through now brings back memories of my past that I had altogether put in the deepest part of my brain. By the way it's 1:12 in the morning and although I cannot sleep right now I am not feeling as bad as I did today. Will the withdraws return tommrrow??????? All I can think about is sleep. I close my eyes and my mind runs wild. Still can't sleep.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

Muriel....

YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!

a) I KNOW it's a probem.

b) I KNOW what addiction is.

c) He/She seemed very upset about the amount of pills they had taken, and I was merely pointing out that it wasn't an incredibly horrible amount. Depending on the person and the situation, one - or one hundred - pills could possibly be deadly.

And last but not least,

d) I am apologizing in advance for what I am about to say....but if you SERIOUSLY think that what I said was intended to be in any way, shape, or form about 'bragging rights'....well then my friend, you are an azz.

Again, I apologize for being crass, but it seems that more often than not you seem to get enjoyment out of undermining my posts. If that's the way it's going to be, well then, maybe I *can* find better things to do than sit here and deal with this kind of thing....maybe I shouldn't be here.

Walk a mile in my shoes........

tat*

Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

And hick....I apologize for bringing that kinda crap into your thread....there truly is a much bigger issue at hand here.

There's a good chace you will stilll have w/d's tomorrow....or maybe you wont. Everyoe is different - there really is no 'set' time frame for them. They generally last right around in the same ballpark, but honestly cannot be fully predicted.

But nevertheless, my wishes and prayers are with you that they DON'T haunt you as badly - or at all - tomorrow, and that the worst of this is all behind you now.

Feel better....and keep posting!!

tat*

Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Tat,
Can't sleep either? I have not been posting much as I am in a funk and just don't feel like I have much to offer. I do want to say how sorry I am for the situation you are in right now. You just break my heart, buddy. Wish I could do something to help. I know a lot of people have different opinions on this board, so I understand your reaction to the one you just replied to. Hope this one doesn't get deleted as one I remember Reach replied to that was.
Hang in there,
JB

Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
(male)

ahickey1 HB User

thanks tat. does nyquil help?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

You're VERY welcome Hick. That's another thing that depends on the individual, but it has always worked great for me....w/d or not...lol..... I think in the last two weeks or so I have gone thru a bottle and a half. (and apologizing in advance if anyone thinks I am now condoing cough medicine). Give it a shot, it cant hurt ya know? I know when we're feeling like this, we'll try just about anything.

I'm with ya on this Hick....I truly hope you're almost outta the woods....I know how badly it sucks!!

And if by chance you CANT sleep.....well then,, keep on posting.

And as my dear friend Mr. Yoss likes to say....

Keep on keepin on.....!!

tat*

Closed Thread