It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User
how long do you take subutex

I am an addict and I was taking up to 30 lortabs a day (10 milligrams).. I have droped down to using maybe once or twice a week and thats only because I am watched 24.7!!! I want to stay clean but the cravings are ridiculous.. I have been hooked for 6 years now and always relapse. I just wondered if I could take the subutex for cravings because I am over the physical withdrawals?? PlEASE HELP ME???

Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: how long do you take subutex

hi ally - subs wont stop cravings - cravings are a mental thing. in your case you would use subs to taper down and then off. i'd wait until someone who has more experience than i do with your situation replies - it shouldnt be too long, although it is xmas. someone will defo be able to advise you better soon. so hang in there - you came to the right place for advice (im just sorry i cant offer anything helpful - im a heroin addict so no very little about the pills you've been on)

you're doing the right thing

yoss22

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

at the right dose sub can and will stop the cravings. thats what its used for.
sorry to step on your toes yoss, i dont mean to. oh and merry christmas... lol. long time no talk. sorry.
ok, back to your question.... sub will also cause you to become physically dependent on it so you will have w/d when you stop. if i were you i would keep doing what your doing. no drugs. add in some meetings which will help you with your cravings. having outside support of people who are going through/have been through the same thing you are going through helps more than you can imagine. Look for AA or NA in your tele book and call.
michelle

Old 12-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

Hey Ally,
It's tough when you do want to get clean and know that you "always relapse"
Try I don't know if this will work for everyone, but instead of thinking you always relapse, think, I am trying to get healthy and clean. It's been known that the thoughts we carry around like i always relapse, tend to lead us to what we think, a relapse. I am not sure exactly the scientific proof in this, but I started to think about how this time will be different for me. For some reason this is the longest period of time I have gone through without taking more, getting more etc. I am still tapering. Meetings help, I would agree with Oh and try some. The sub is ok, but you will eventually have to withdraw from that too. It's inevitable that there will come a time when we have to be done with this. It's a matter of when, how much support we can get, and how much we really want it. You said you are watched 24/7, does it feel like support or jail?
Anyway, keep posting, you will get many different kinds of responses, of course right now many are off on holiday. This is a great board. It's been a life saver to me.
Capt

Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User

thanks ya'll hopefully i am going to the doctor today to see what he thinks too!!! so i will repost and keep u updated... thanks so much for your reply's/// happy holidays!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Sub will most definately stop cravings, that is the whole idea of it. It's a powerful opiate but it works in a difefrent way than other opiates...It doesn't bind to your brains opiate receptors like regular opaites do, and it doesn't get you high....S you're not high and you're not sick from withdrawls....What a perfect time to really seriously work on your addiction and teh things that made you use in teh first place.

Most people after starting suboxone say they feel like they have been lifted out of a fog.

Sub is great for people who, in your own words, always relapse....why?? Because it can give you time to learn how to deal with the things that make you use in the first place.

There is no set protocol for how long to take suboxone, and it kind of depends on the individual. It is used for anything from a quick few day detox to lifetime use. I've been taking it for a year now, and am about ready to do my final weanings. I think the important part of a suboxone treatment is getting counceling and support to learn how not to react in stressful situations.

No matter how you stop using, there is always a period of time for your brain to adjust, and you won't feel very good duting this time....and it's usually a long period of time. Many hardcore long term opiate users will never feel normal again due to changes in their brain, and for those people a low dose of suboxone may be just what they need to live a normal life.

Just taking sub alone without getting counceling is pretty much a waste of time and the risk of relapse is greater...which is why most all sub doctors insist you get into some type of counceling program. Not all doctors can dispense suboxone either..they must attend a short training seminar before being allowed to dispense sub products.

Best regards to you.

mano

Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User

Thanks... I Have An Appt. Today At 3:30 So Hope All Goes Well!!! I Hope Everyone Has A Great Day And Again Thanks So Much For The Advice!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User

Thanks Capt.. I Was Hoping To Find Some Good People To Talk To And It Looks Like I Came To The Right Place As Well...

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

Your welcome Ally.
Please let us know what the doc says.
Manno (sp) I think you did a great job explaining the reasoning behind suboxone. That was the first time I understood the whole "process" of taking it. The reason why I did not go on it was because at first I could not find a doc who would take me without going to rehab which was not a possibility. Also no insurance to cover it. I am in counseling and see a psychiatrist on top of that. I am weening off norco right now, originally from the fentanyl patch. So the counseling part IS a huge part of recovery. Especially since most of us have underlying symptoms that cause us to use and relapse in the first place.
Capt.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User

yes you r so right about that!!! i am seeing a therapist too because i do have a lot of depression problems also... i haven't went to my last appts. so i need to make an appt. for that too.. thanks for remindeing me!!lol... i have been seeing one since my husband left me cause i tried to overdose when he left... we live together now but are not back together but he don't know it but without him and my baby girl i would be right back on drugs... thanks so much...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
(female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

You should tell him that. I don't know your situation personally but all the support helps. And I do know the motivation in wanting to be a good parent a give our babies the best can make a person move mountains. Just look into your baby girls beautiful face and remember why you're getting clean. I wish you the best and good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User

thanks so much.. I do tell him all the time!! Oh and for everyone else i went to the doctor and he doesn't do the subutex so i am workin on getting an appt. with someone who specializes in it!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Ally, my sub dr. was a psyciatrist, which i think was helpful. We would always have a 1 on 1 meeting, then a group meeting, urine tests for everyone, and new scripts for the month....plus a shrink can presribe other meds. You have to really shop around for a doctor becauser many of them seriously overcharge. You should also educate yourself as much as you can about suboxone and how it works. Theres lots of great info on the internet. There are even doctor macthing systems, where you fill out a brief questionerre and doctors will reply to you. I wish I could post some sites for you, but boards rules won't allow. There are lots of doctors out there now, and you usually only see them once a month, so even if you have to travel 100 miles to get a good reasonably priced one, it's worth it, IMHO.

The other thing to keep in mind is you probably don't want to take sub forever. I found many doctors way overprescribe the needed amout, and the lower dose you can start at the less weaning you will have to do, and most doctors will let you experiment during induction...Like for example you probably need 4-8 mg a day, and the might prescribe 16-20. They are in no hurry for you to wean. My doctor openly told me it was a goldmine for her and she was trying to talk her brother into opening another office it was so lucrative. It's too bad there's not more in it to really help people out, and treat it like a regular insurance accepting practice instead of what it is.

mano

Old 12-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
(female)

ALLY8135 HB User

thanks mano... i know what u mean about overcharging.. i called a shrink today and they said they don't accept insurance.. and my first appt. would be 200 dollars than second would be 125 and then i would have to go once a month.. which idk if i have to go everyday but surely someone will accept my insurance???

Closed Thread