It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
(male)

alafugo HB User
opiate blockers

What is the best med. to take from a doctor to block opiate receptors in the brain so that if you take an opiate it doesn't work?

thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 02:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User
Re: opiate blockers

You have asked a tough question. There is suboxone, but it is 50% opiate. I don't know of any other drug that is free of opiates. Methadone is also addicting. More people will be on to help you. I am doing it by tapering down very very slowly. It seems to work for me, others have done it cold turkey. Talk to us more. Keep us informed on how you are, what/how much you take. I'm sure people will be here to help you, as will I>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
(male)

makinit HB User

There are quite a few drugs for this. There are some that are channel blockers and even some that induce withdrawal of an opiate. Just to name a few: Naltrexone, Naloxone, nalmephine, Revia and others. DO NOT USE THESE DRUGS IF YOU HAVE ANY OPIATE IN YOUR SYSTEM OR YOU WILL BE SORRY! You have to be completely clean from all opiates or they will precipitate full blown withdrawals. Some of these drugs are also available in a inplant, where a doctor can inplant a time release bullet, if you will, by making a small cut (about a half inch) below the belt line of your stomach (on left or right side) and insert the bullet/pellet deep below the skin line. These bullets/pellets come in different time release and dissolve over a long period of time. They have different ones, like 6 months, year and longer. Its a simple procedure, but a little expensive. Of course this is for the very motivated and strong minded addict or else it's a waist of time and money. its also been known for some that actually ended up getting desperate and grossly, cut the stiches and removed the pellet in great desperation to get high once again (I being one). So whether in pill form or inplant you should be in intense counseling/support groups to avoid trying to RELAPSE, which would'nt do you any good anyway. But for one to inquire about this is surely one that wants a clean life for the long haul..
Good luck!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
(male)

alafugo HB User

I am not currently taking opiates. I get randomly drug tested. I have just found myself thinking about them again. I work the program, have a sponsor but I wanted to see if there was options to even further deter me from picking up anything. I read the previous post about the implant and may take that route. thanks for all the help. I was doing research on it and could not find what I was looking for. I always try to answer my questions first on my own then when additional help is needed I post here. I have a great fear telling my PCP about my addiction. I don't want it on my permanent medical record. My entire family and wife know. I do not go to Dr.'s seeking scripts due to my profession. It sounds so crazy that I go to great lengths to keep a medical record clean but then go and take risks with obtaining drugs illegally. Oh the mind of an addict.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

oh the mind of an addict..it totally amazes me. did you blame others all the time for your actions?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

oh and al, im sorry to tell you this..but after lots of years of working in the medical field i can promise you that it is not hard to get medical records of any kind..doctors just dont have the time to not give them out. if that makes sense. if one really wanst to dig deep they will find your records...dont let that stop you from your recovery..do what you have to do to remain clean..

Old 12-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
(male)

alafugo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
oh the mind of an addict..it totally amazes me. did you blame others all the time for your actions?
Where the hell did that come from? I never intended, nor I have ever blamed anyone but myself for my addiction, NEVER. I have stood up and faced it head on. I did not see one statement in my rant that said, "I blame so and so or it's all that person's fault." I can accept being called a lot of things for what I have done and I deserve it, but never have I blamed others. That was not a nice thing to say.
As for my med record. I do take my recover seriously unfortunetly what you share with your Dr. is not as private as people think. Your statement about your years of working in the medical field and your promise that people can find records is exactly why I don't share info with my Dr.

Last edited by alafugo; 12-31-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

I am glad you are working hard in a program. It seems you are much farther along than I thought (assumed) in my original post. You did some good research and it sounds like you are trying really hard to stay clean. Can I ask how much time you have? I just wonder how long cravings will be that strong.

I also think the other question was intended for blaming others while you were using, not now, some of us, me at least liked to say I do this because someone bothers me, or this is irritates me. Wish it didn't sound like it did to you. I took it as something while you were using, not now in your clean time.
Anyway, I hope you find an answer and let us know if it works, or what you decide. I like the way you think preventively (sp?)
capt

Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

al, so sorry, but you took that out of context. All i meant was did you blame others for everything WHILE you were using? im able to ask you that question because youa re clean and can answer honestly.. I am no way judging at all im just trying to get as much info as i can..my son is always blaming us for his actions even so much as telling us that we are triggers for him..im just trying to understand...so sorry if i offended you ..and the medical buisness let me try to explain maybe it is a good thing if you didnt tell your doc about your addiction, but personally i dont agree because you never know one day you might hurt your back etc.. and need a pain pill..he will look at your chart and prescibe a narcotic because he doesnt know of your past abuse...but than again if he did know, he woudnt prescribe a narcotic maybe just something non narcotic and that will make your life easier..just my opinion...so what i was saying was you need to do everything in your power to stay clean that is one thing you can do to help yourself....a doctor on your side is a good thing...i woudnt worry about finding your medical history..

Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
(female)

lotsofemotion HB User

Revia is a good opiate blocker to take. My husband is on that and it is helping him a lot. Also, Revia is nonaddictive. It also states that you must wear a medical bracelet for it because if you were to get into some sort of accident and the medical professionals were to give you a pain med it would not work. So, ask your doctor about the Revia.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
(male)

alafugo HB User

I am sorry for taking the one comment out of text, (jules3). Please accept my apologies. To answer your question,(captnanny), I have 6 months clean time, 28 days of in-patient rehab, 8 weeks of out patient rehab, and the regular program of a sponser, meetings, and such. My cravings creep up at different moments. They are not as intense as the first 2 months were. You also asked about the blaming during the time of using. I never once blamed anyone but myself. I sit through group therapy for professionals with addiction and some have blamed others for their addiction. Eventually they come to a point were they admit it was them that started it. Or, at least they verbalize it but may not truely believe it. I must have been lucky to never have thought that way. I personaly have noticied that the people that blame others for addiction seem to do it with other things in their life. They could be the sweetest most caring person but when it comes to faults it is something or someone elses fault. My wife attends Naranon groups and my heart goes out to those members. At first in my earliest of recovery I hated the group. I thought they were a bunch of haters. Now, even though it has only been 6 months my heart aches for some. They everyday have to battle helping an addict that struggles all the time. It is so hard to understand. I feel bad for the addict and the people around them. For both sides it is pain and struggles. I am just babbling now so I will stop.

Closed Thread