It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

XxBabyGirl727xX HB User
Question Am i addicted?

I had my baby in april of 06 after the birth i was taking vicodin for spinal headaches... I started on the 500mg one every 4 hours as needed (which was every 4 hours) I was on that for about 3 months after the baby and then came the gallbladder problem which just took more pain med and then the surgery... I was then up to around 2 500mg every 4 hours... I stopped getting the scripts about december and have taken a few since then... Like mabey 1 every couple days or so if really needed... i just was wondering if this is a bad thing? I dont feel like i need them or have to have them but if something really hurts and they are around i will take one.. If i had them i would take them for what i needed to and if i hurt i will ask around or try and get one.. But i dont know that this is an addiction i just know they work.. Is anyone willing to give some advise?

Last edited by XxBabyGirl727xX; 01-04-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added information

Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Am i addicted?

Hello Babygirl

Judging pain and what is needed for it can become a tricky and sometimes dangerous deal. Certainly after major surgery or a situation where pain is causing unbearable discomfort, opiates like Percocet serve a purpose. However, we really need to stop and think before we take drugs like these if we really are at the level of pain they are meant for.

Over eleven years, I had been on every type os opiate pain med imaginable at various times... fentenol (?) patches, oxycontin, morphine, percs, and at the end, oxycodone. I know now fully that I was often misusing them as a matter of 'convenience." Why take the time to use ice, heat, rest or aspirin first when the opiates were at my disposal? I went straight for the big guns even when the pain was not at the level that called for that. This is a dangerous pattern, indeed.

I don't know if you are at addiction levels here, but I do know that you are self-medicating and that is a pattern that leads into full addiction. If you are experiencing pain at a level that you feel you need help, then you should be seeing a doctor, not borrowing meds from others. If you can not get one from a friend, would you survive the pain episode? Have you ever had pain, not gotten a pill by 'asking around' and been okay in the end? This board is full of members like myself who led ourselves right into addiction because we came to believe that opiates were an easy solution to every ache and pain we had. They are not. They relieve pain by masking it, not by dealing with the source of it. Please, while you still have the capacity to think straight, eveluate what you are doing here. Make an effort to honestly evaluate the level of pain you are in when you seek to self-medicate with other's drugs. if it is really high enough to need help. get to a doctor.

Best wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

XxBabyGirl727xX HB User

I have only ask one person and most of the time it is either cause of my tooth, which i have a hole in, i have scoliosis(dont know spelling) and i have major wrist problems... I was recieving pain med from my dr for my back and wrist and the only reason i cant get them from him is i have a bill at that office i can not pay, i was schedualed for a mri and due to lack of money i was not able to afford to go do it....A friend of mine had some and so i was getting a few from them only when i needed them til i can afford to go back to the dr.. I was also curious though when i was going to the dr all he would say is do you need more pain med.. and i ask myself (does he know how bad i hurt or is it just that he is quick to give them to me?) I know he is not the kind of dr that is just quick to give them to anyone cause i know someone that keeps trying for themselve so i know that he has to have a good reason to give them but trust me i was not saying no when he offered them..And i do believe i came to ask myself this question about addiction by seeing what my friend will do for them..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Are you addicted...No.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

XxBabyGirl727xX HB User

is there a way to make sure that i dont get that way if i am not and how to control my pain in other ways cause i dont want to get addicted if i am not already there

Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBabyGirl727xX View Post
I had my baby in april of 06 after the birth i was taking vicodin for spinal headaches... I started on the 500mg one every 4 hours as needed (which was every 4 hours) I was on that for about 3 months after the baby and then came the gallbladder problem which just took more pain med and then the surgery... I was then up to around 2 500mg every 4 hours... I stopped getting the scripts about december and have taken a few since then... Like mabey 1 every couple days or so if really needed... i just was wondering if this is a bad thing? I dont feel like i need them or have to have them but if something really hurts and they are around i will take one.. If i had them i would take them for what i needed to and if i hurt i will ask around or try and get one.. But i dont know that this is an addiction i just know they work.. Is anyone willing to give some advise?
You say in the end that you take them for something that really hurts, what is it that really hurts that you would need these for if you don't mind me asking? Jenn.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
(female)

XxBabyGirl727xX HB User

i have cysts (sp) in my wrist and i recently had a hairline fracture in the same wrist and for my scoliosis when it gets really bad like crying bad... other then that heating pads and other things work but not always

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBabyGirl727xX View Post
i have cysts (sp) in my wrist and i recently had a hairline fracture in the same wrist and for my scoliosis when it gets really bad like crying bad... other then that heating pads and other things work but not always

BabyGirl727 - If that is the case, then PLEASE, get under a doctor's care and let him/her decide what is the best action to take. Believe me, 1 or 2 can quickly turn to 10 or 12 a day.... If the doctor thinks the best action is for you to be on pain meds, then they will put you on them and decide when and how many you will need. I have to see a pain doc every month and am on pain meds.... At any time, he can do blood test or a UA, pill count, to make sure that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. I also had to sign a contract stating that I would not get pain meds from any other doctor.... If I break that contract, I will no longer be a patient of his.

I will never screw up again on pain meds.... believe me, its hard as hell to get off them especially by yourself. That's all I will say about it. Please do it the right way...... Best of Luck, Jenn

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Babygirl

In an earlier post, I read about a tooth problem. I had some tooth problems right when I came off painkillers. I bought some Oil of Clove at the health food store... about $4 for a small botttle.. goes along way... and it brought big time relief to the problem teeth until I could have dental work done. Just a thought.

Good wishes
reach

Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

It sounds to me like you could be on your way to become addicted...you are buying them from a friend at this point and justifying it by teh fact you can't pay the doctor....and you probably could be getting by with Advil or a non narcotic for some of these aches, if not all of them.

You're not really abusing them....yet...but this is how most addicts got started. Your brain gets a taste for them and actually changes, and then something tragic happens in your life, and you know just where to turn for that escape you need...your litle friend in a pill. It can turn into a world of nightmares.

On the otehr hand I have a friend with a bad back who has been prescribed Norco (same difference) for a bad back for over a ecade, adn he still only takes 1-2 a day. Some people don't have that addictive nature....Just watch yourself i guess, and it sounds like you are.

If you want to scare yourself, research what brain changes occur from using opiates.

Good luck,

mano

Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
(female)

XxBabyGirl727xX HB User

i have never paid for them, Just gotten a few. But i did take one and it messed me up really shaky and throwing up.. so TRUST ME ... NO MORE FOR ME!!! I have anxiety really bad and that seems like it will help me in this situation.. I dont even want to look at one again!!

Closed Thread