It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

smoochy39 HB User
I did it-finally........

I am now 6 weeks off hydrocodone. I was taking between 15-20 10/650's a day. I can't believe I can wake up in the morning and function. It did take awhile, and I'm still not all the way 'right', but to not have that monkey on my back is a huge relief.

Anyone who remembers my previous posts, I've been struggling for a long time.

I didn't think I would ever do it, not without rehab.

Today is a good day.

smoochy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User
Re: I did it-finally........

Hey Smoochy.... GOOD FOR YOU!! Congratulations!! It's stories like yours that REALLY help inspire others on the boards, and we're all grateful for it.

Good luck, and God bless.

tat*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Congratulations Smoochy That's great. Hopefully the good days will soon out number the bad ones...Enjoy the new life. Just try not to make the mistake so many do after a few months go by, and think, "I can celebrate for a day or two". I'm afraid we all learn that one the hard way, and hopefully you already have. Excelllent job and keep it up! Can i ask, did you wean or go cold turkey, and how many tries did it take?

mano

Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
(female)

redrockrag HB User

can you tell me what your plan was? CT or taper. I need guidance before I start my own thread and bare my soul. Thank you for your help.
RRR

Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

smoochy39 HB User

redrockrag,

I don't know what drug of choice your on, but with hydrocodone, and as many as I was taking, this is how it went.....

I tried tapering too many times and it didn't work for me. For one thing, my hubby as crippling arthritis and takes them (responsibly) and sometimes not at all, cuz I was taking them.

I just quit CT. The first day I ached all over like there was no tomorrow. Then came the gut wrenching stomach cramps and throwing up. For women, it's like having labor pains in your stomach. I did have to go to the ER where they gave me dilaudid to get rid of it. Afterward, I was no longer heaving, and the cramps subsided about 80%. No, I didin't tell them I was detoxing.

Week one felt like I was literally sludging through molasses. I had no energy, I felt like crap. That was always my downfall. I needed a few to just have a few hours of 'lucidity'. But that just brought me back to using again. This time I stuck it out.

Then came the irritability.....I have 3 small kids and an invalid husband, so believe me it was no picnic. But day by day it got a little better than before and that was what I held on to so dearly. The financial aspect of using and what I was doing to my family really gave me the strength to do this.

I would plan on being really sick for about two weeks and not feeling 'right' for several more. And I'm not a strong person.....If I found two in an old coat pocket, it would take me about 5 miinutes to justify taking them. Hopefully with time, I'll get stronger.

I wasn't even catching a buzz anymore, I was just trying not to get sick. Getting sick was the best thing I could have done for myself and my family.

I've been to AA many times before, but trying to work full time, take care of my family and the house, I just couldn't get away anymore. But I highly recommend a program if you can, for those times you thing you are going to go insane, it really motivates you to keep on keeping on.

Just keep in mind, it won't last forever-2 weeks of pure hell is worth the 4 -5 years I was in hell. I never want to go back to that. And I didn't wake up one morning and think, let me take some pills.....It came from legitimate pain experiences where they were doled out to me, and when I wanted to stop, started getting sick.

I just did it. Yeah, it sucked purposely making yourself that miserable, but it was well worth it, and now it's over. It's hard to believe that I can get up in the morning and not wait for 4 pills to 'kick in' before I can deal with anything.

The amazing thing (and why I wanted to go away to a rehab) was I was able to do this while I still worked (had to take some sick days of course), but my 3 young kids were there, my husband was there, and as much as I wanted to curl up and die a few times, I pushed myself to function when I didn't think it was possible. I prayed alot.

I hope you can do this. These drugs have a rightful place when taken properly for people who have long term legitimate pain, but that was no longer my case. I was addicted phsically and emotionally.

But here's a quick list of what to expect.....
Body aches all over, gut wrenching stomach cramps and throwing up, diarrhea for days, insomnia with your mind racing, inability to concentrate, irritability about everything, fatigue. But the good news is, each day gets a little better and you have to psych yourself into thinking tomorrow will be better, another day. It just takes time.

Like I said, six weeks and I'm still not 'normal' but I'll take it, cuz I know six weeks from now, I'm going to be a hell of alot better than I was on day on. Hell, I was better on day 6 than I was on day 2.

It's not easy to make yourself sick, but think of all the benefits, and truly take it one day at a time. One hour if you need to.

Good luck--it can be done.

smoochy

Closed Thread