It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User
Exercise

I don't think I'm supposed to mention specific businesses but I did want to offer a suggestion --- some on here (mano?) stress the imporatance of exercise and helping us re-wire our receptors to get through withdrawals, pain, life. I 100% concur. I've been very slowly tapering which is only frustrating because now I can really feel my degenerating gallbladder. But the doc called Friday and I'm scheduled for its removal on 24JAN - yay.

The other yay is that it's being done for free since I'm a Vet.

Another yay is that my doc emailed me (yes, you read that right) and closed by asking if I needed any more pain pills. I have 2 refills left and old me would have jumped and said yes. New me will reply no, and these pills will get me through the post-surg pain, which I will also tell the surgeon (that I don't need additional pain meds for post-surg.) Old me would be thinking I hit the pain pill jackpot - SCORE!

I'm slowly realizing how much my brain is addicted and the pain is actually something I can take. My job is very frustrating in that I'm new, and have been a newhire training instructor in the past. There is no training program at my job, or a half-___'d one and I'm not used to working like that. I want to do a good/great job and learn the correct way to do things and not the lame-***** "watch over my shoulder" method. That won't work. So I found myself getting terribly frustrated last week and wanting to reach for the bottle. I didn't. I waited it out til the next on my taper schedule. It helps.

OK, so the reason for the subject and this post. It might be beneficial if you call around to gyms in your area and see if they will waive/reduce the fee(s) because of the new year. Mine not only charges whatever day of the month it is when you join (I joined on 1/1 and they were going to only charge me $1 to join instead of the usual $49) but since I work for a local govt, they don't charge us at all! i've been twice and developing a workout program and I feel like (someone said earlier) I'm substituting an awful habit for a new, healthy one.

I've also found a lot of purpose and benefits by responding to other posts and sharing more of my experiences. I don't say that like Aren't I Terrific but I write most of these wondering about the other lurkers out there like I was.

Come on in, the water's warm.

I don't recognize the warm and fuzzy me right now.

Droop!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User
Re: Exercise

I should go to the Y and get my energy back up.

Last edited by DroopyEyes; 01-08-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User
Re: Exercise

The exercise really is the key I think, and it is so hard to do when you feel terrible and in pain. The other thing i have found that really helps me, is acupuncture. Once I get off the sub completely I'm going to go do the acupuncture 3 x a week for a month. I found this wonderful Chinese dr. who is also licensed as a dr. here in the US, and she was amazing....and trust me, I was the biggest skeptic of all. I basically told her so on my 2nd appt. and she showed me right then and there how powerful accupuncture is by making a throbbing joint stop hurting in minutes. What I found best though, was the help during detox it provided.

I'm trying to get into a regular exercise routine now, before I totally attempt stopping sub completely. I live in the coutry so I have been hiking every day about 2 miles, and i do break a sweat, but I know I need more than just the walking. I've been thinking of trying a gym myself, and noticed several of them do have trial memberships or discounted ones....and you can always pick up used exercise equiptment very reasonably if you prefer working out at home. Also, physical therapy can do the same thing, and be covered by insurance. Oh, and a lot of health insurance plans offer discounted or free gym memberships too.

Hang in there droop....weaning is hard and does make pain flare up, but it sounds like you are doing great and have lots of determination!!

mano

Closed Thread