It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
Best Way To Taper

I am on 7.5 mg Percocets and take 3-4 a day. They do tend to hype me up so I don't take any late in the afternoon so I can sleep. I feel I am needing to back off for a while and let my body "cleanse: itself. I don't need them everyday for the chronic pain but find myself suffering the side effects of WD if i DON"T take them. ANY suggestions would help.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Best Way To Taper

Hi There

I am not sure exactly what the goal is here. Need some more info. "Cleansing the body....." sounds more like what is sometimes done in pain management.. taking a vacation' from the med in the hopes that the med will come back with more effectiveness. Even those who do this under a pain management doctor's guidance will suffer a degree of withdrawal because it is the nature of opiate pain relief for this to happen.

In my own experience with chronic pain, opiates are either going to be an everyday thing or nothing. The ptency of the opiate effect to mask pain does level off after time and increasing doses are often needed to attain the same effect. Consistent use of them accustoms the body and brain to them and a dependency develops. That dependency leads some into addiction, others not. Often the pain we feel when we take an opiate is exaggerated pain that is actually the body and brain hollering for its daily intake.

In my opinion, opiates should be taken for severe pain for short stretches.. ie. after a surgery, a flare up of severe pain.... short stretches like a couple of days or couple of weeks at most. After that, we fall into a danger zone of dependency. With chronic pain, a decision has to be made, with a doctor, about the best course of pain relief for us as an individual. For some, that might well mean opiates for life.

To taper for whatever reason, I would make small cuts, like a quarter or half a tab on one of the doses at a time. When the body levels off, make a cut on another dose. Continue until you get to where you are headed.

Good wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User
Re: Best Way To Taper

Percosets aren't a drug that can be taken occasioanlly. You are playing with fire and could easily wind up addicted. What you described is how most addicts started. You would be wise to stop using the percs completely, because taking them is making changes to your brain that will effect it forever. You should be able to do a short weaning process and stop them altogether, and talk to your dr. about non addicitve pain meds.

Stopping the use of opiates or even reducing will make your pain seem more intense, but that will subside in time. Good luck to you!

mano

Closed Thread