It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
(female)

scrappingmami HB User
help me figure this out please

Hello, I am new to this board, and need some advice from those who have been there. I have been on very low dose oxycodone (40 mg day) for a year for spinal stenosis. I receintly had surgery to correct and they put me on vicodin for recovery pain, eliminating the oxycodone. For 10 days I had no oxycodone and used the vicodin. Now I am down to only about 2 or3 vicodins left but really only took 2 yesterday as pain is subsiding. When I stop the vicodin will I go thru withdrawel from the oxycodone or should that already be a thing of the past? thank you!

Last edited by scrappingmami; 01-09-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

Winnie31 HB User
Re: help me figure this out please

Yes, you probably will have some sort of withdrawl, but not to the extent of what most of us are going through. We have been on these meds for years and at high doses. You may feel a little achy, restless, maybe have some trouble sleeping but it will not last for long. Good Luck!!

Winnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

thank you, Winnie!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

You will probably feel like you have the flu for a week or so, and may have a few restless nights....Basically treat your symptoms the same as you would the flu. Your pain may also flair up during this time, but will subside soon. The best thing you can do is to completely stay away from the opiates during this week of not feeling good, or you will prolong the sick feeling. I hope you feel better soon.

mano

Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

you are going to have W/D'S for sure.... just lay low and be near the toilet. you will feel pretty bad for about a week at least. Vicadin can mask the W/D'S coming off oxy.

good thoughts for you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

All the best,
SS

Old 01-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

ok guys I think I have a plan, but it may be a lame one, I just don't know....i am so afraid of wd's....I have 2 kids still at home and need to be on my game, i know that is probably an excuse. Does anyone think wd from percocet may be possible with minimal wd if you start tapering use over a few weeks time rather than going cold turkey? I took a half pill last night and a half this am.....was taking 4 pills every 24 hours for a year....am feeling quite functional and probably more rational than i have for a long time. i just hope the surgery worked so i won't have to return to pm! Any suggestions? Am thinking if i keep that pace for several days then cut to 1/3 tablet twice a day.....then maybe 1/4 for a few days then off?

Last edited by scrappingmami; 01-11-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

If you do taper it will help the withdrawl process. I'm sure you will still have some sort of withdrawl symptoms but not as bad. Taper and hang in there!! I'm on day three and it has been hell but I'm pulling through. Best of luck!!

Winnie

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

That sounds like an awesome taper plan mami. Plus, you weren't taking ALL that much, so your w/d's aren't gonna be extreme either.

Good luck to you friend....and keep us up to date on how you're doing.

tat*

Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

thank you both for your taking the time to help me out!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

Winnie---hang in there! Its gotta be tough at day 3....so much already into it that you don't want it all to be for n othing! hang in there....you have friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie31 View Post
If you do taper it will help the withdrawl process. I'm sure you will still have some sort of withdrawl symptoms but not as bad. Taper and hang in there!! I'm on day three and it has been hell but I'm pulling through. Best of luck!!

Winnie

Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hello scrappingmami - i must say, i've read your posts and you sound like a very kind, warm and thoughtful person and i say (on behalf of everyone i'm sure) - its great to have someone so helpful, caring and positive on these boards.welcome .

As for your situation - the taper is always the best route. i know what its like going through it with kids (though i only have 1 - he is a very active kid ) you can do it - just take the taper slowly and make it as comfortable as you can. read up on 'remedies' for withdrawals on the boards as they do help. i dont think i need to say 'stay positive' as i get the feeling that there isnt a negative bone in your body - so i'll just say 'stay strong' instead.

keep us posted as to how you're doing

yoss

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

thank you, Yoss, what wonderful words to feed my floundering, withdrawing ego! lol I am so happy that i found this site, because it is like a whole new world of friends that i have discovered that understand me, without words. what a blessing! I am a very strong believer in God and He drives my life. I have been thru some things, including having a child sexually molested. I have learned that all things can be overcome, even those that feel like you will never get through. Most of all, I believe in the power of friends, happy thoughts and prayer. Bless you, Yoss, for your kindness. I hope you, also, keep on keeping on!
Tina

Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

well scrappingmami

i personally dont believe in god - i think that god is within, and is found in everyone in someway - some let 'it' shine more than others - and from the comforting words and support you have given people - after all that life has thrown at you, you shine as bright as any light there is.

yoss

keep on shining on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Closed Thread