It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

AnxietyMan HB User
Alcoholics - Alcohol Free Beer??

In your experiences, have you found it acceptable and possible to drink alcohol free beer / wine?? Or does this increase the urge to drink alcohol?

When I started drinking originally, it was not only the relaxing feeling I'd get, it was also the taste. I absolutely love beer. I'd try new kinds all the time.

Every once in a while in the store, I'll pass by the beer aisle, (usually looking the other way on purpose) But once in a while I'll see what alcohol free beer they have...

Can alcoholics drink alcohol free beer, or will it likely lead to a relapse?

Please share your experiences with this.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

Winnie31 HB User
Re: Alcoholics - Alcohol Free Beer??

I have a uncle who has been clean for twenty five years. Yes he does have a non alcohol beer here and there but not everyday or everyweek, usually at special occasions.

Winnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

I'm not thinking AF Beer is a good idea. Reason why - no matter what anyone tells you, NO beer is completely alcohol free. Read the can, even that has a verrrry small amount of alcohol.

So in my opinion.....leave it be.

Good luck.

tat*

Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
(male)

Lewt HB User

personally i dont bother, i never really drank for the taste although this is something i used to tell myself and others. the other reason is if i was drinking AF beer then that ceromoanil event i used to do with the first pint would kinda be happening again. also i would have the taste od beer and if for a number of reasons i picked up the wrong glass of it was swaped i maybe wouldnt tell the difference before it was t late....

i do know others that have one now and again though......

i think its the kinda thing that with my thinking id end up drinking it ll day every day untill i picked up a real one.......

Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
(male)

AnxietyMan HB User

Anybody on here who has tried this themselves?
I have a strong feeling it would lead to stronger urges, not from the .001% (or whatever the number is) alcohol, but from the taste and the habit I am so used to.
However, if I drank AF beer like I drank regular beer, it wouldnt be a problem. I'd just be fatter... without messing up my liver, heart, and brain...

I'm going to see a psychiatrist in the next few weeks who specializes in chemical dependancy amongst other things, so hopefully he can give me some insight to how I would react to an AF beer.

Thanks, and if anyone else has any thoughts or experience on the subject, please do share.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
(male)

mariogreymist HB User

Alcohol free beer isn't the most sensible idea for an alcoholic in recovery. The real problem is with our skills in rationalization. If we keep af beer in our fridge and crack one open every day when we get home from work, we are building a ritual. Granted, we're not getting drunk. But one day, it might occur to us that the difference between .1% and 3.2% alcohol is small, and we've managed to drink only one for so long now...why not get a six pack of Bud instead of O'Douls this week? I know myself well enough to not take that kind of risk.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyMan View Post
In your experiences, have you found it acceptable and possible to drink alcohol free beer

Can alcoholics drink alcohol free beer, or will it likely lead to a relapse?
AM,

I am not one to judge a person for their actions or lack thereof.

I would think that the mere word association would deter those from wanting to experiment with the beverage.

Alcoholism, in and of itself has physical and psychological factors to consider.

Respectfully,

Phoenix.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Mitchem85 HB User

my father has worked for anheuser busch for 30 years and i am currently working there too. alot of those o'douls beers are also stored where other (regular) beers were stored and aged and etc..

There is really no such thing as AF beer. there is less-alcohol content beer, and it will continue to trigger your brain into thinkin its beer, which will lead to you drinking real beers, seirously. IF you are serious about quitting, you can't drink another drop of alcohol, period. I know it's harsh and hard but its a price you have to pay.

IM the same way with pain pills, i cant do any. If i do one, im gonna do more. even if its the lowest dosage pain killer from the dr. it will still lead to negative results.

I hope you get better and i hope it gets easier!

Last edited by Mitchem85; 01-16-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Mitchem85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogreymist View Post
Alcohol free beer isn't the most sensible idea for an alcoholic in recovery. The real problem is with our skills in rationalization. If we keep af beer in our fridge and crack one open every day when we get home from work, we are building a ritual. Granted, we're not getting drunk. But one day, it might occur to us that the difference between .1% and 3.2% alcohol is small, and we've managed to drink only one for so long now...why not get a six pack of Bud instead of O'Douls this week? I know myself well enough to not take that kind of risk.
you hit it spot on! good job!

Closed Thread