It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

cam724 HB User
No withdrawals?? are you kidding me??but going to doc's on tuesday:(

so here i am yet again on this board, i always find my way back here, prob because all you people are great....i am the one who fights with myself as to if i am an addict or just physically dependent or do i legitamately need these percocets......well its clear that i "abuse" them, because i ran out yesterday at 930 am, right now it is the next day (saturday) at 144pm....i have not had a percocet in over 26 hours......last nite i started with the worst headache ever and the damn leg cramps.....i took a tramadol and a .5 mg of xanax....i went to bed, woke up a few times, got up this morning and have low energy, but that's it!! am i dreaming?? here's the prob: my back is killing me. i am due for a refill on tuesday...and i want the RX....do you think the tramadol is easing the withdrawals?? i know thats addicting too so i only took 1 today and no xanax......why no w/d's??? i know i will get the script... i just started PT and i am in so much pain after the appt......then i read some posts here and think that i never want to get to "that" point in my life....oh what do i do???

Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: No withdrawals?? are you kidding me??but going to doc's on tuesday:(

hey cam - im not too up on the pills you guys in the states are using (percs etc) what i do know is that tramadol is an analgesic painkiller for moderate to severe pain (i was prescribed it after breaking some ribs) it should help stave off the W/D's - do you have enough to last till tuesday?

hang in there mate

yoss

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

Cam, this is just my personal opinion....if a person has diabetes, they will need to take medication for the rest of their life to manage it. Likewise, if you have a chronic condition that keeps you in pain, then you will need to medicate yourself for the rest of your life to keep it manageable. I don't think that is wrong, what is wrong is abusing the drugs, taking too many or too frequently, you need to have a quality of life that you can live with, and it does not make you a bad person if you need to use pain medication to live comfortably. I hope this is not coming out wrong; just don't be down on yourself if you need it to keep you pain under control. I was on non-narcotic meds for 4 years and then oxy for a year.....then they did surgery....now I am waiting to see how successful it was. If it was successful, which I am beginning to believe, thank God, then I have to realize the pain meds have to go. I guess I am jumping the gun by trying to taper now, but I am just so tired of feeling drugged. But believe me, if that horrible nerve pain comes back, you bet your hiney I am back on pain med. Hugs and hang in there, you will be fine. If your back is killing you, you need the meds! JMO

Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Hey Cam,

I don't know your dose or your history, but usually the leg cramps are worse in the evening, so see what happens....and xanax or any benzo are great for helping with them. Also, back pain is a common withdrawl symptom, even if you don't have any back problems, so that is probably withdrawl related... and the worst of withdrawls usually aren't until day 3 with nothing. And yes, the tramadol will ward off withdrawl, and some people use them to wean off stronger opiates, but they are as addictive as hydrocodone.

Only you can decide if you want to stay on them, and even for those of us with chronic pain it's hard to know if we really need them because pain is so inflated while trying to detox, often for several months or years, depending on how warped our brain is, and other factors.

Personally I think they are a poor choice for pain relief with their potential for addiction / dependence when there are so many other things to try, i.e. physical therapy, acupuncture, yoga, meditation, non narcotic pain relievers, etc. I am trying to get off them, and have been for over 2 years. I'm now at the end of a 1 year taper off suboxone, and down to a tiny daily dose and feeling OK....Exercise & Advil work quite well for me. The real test will come in the next few months, with NO opiates.

I'm sure you can get by just fine til Tuesday on Xanax and Tramadol though til you get your script filled. Good luck.

mano

Old 01-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
(female)

cam724 HB User

i really agree with you scrapping, that is how i feel...and to hear it from someone else is really helpful.....i dont take much more than i am prescribed, maybe 1 extra every couple of days....and i am honest with my doc.....i think that i have to stop beating myself up over this....i have pain and i am in therapy, so until i feel some sort of relief i gotta do what i gotta do....thanks people

Old 01-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
(female)

scrappingmami HB User

cam, you are the only one you have to please here, you have to do what is best for you. proper meds and an honest relationship with you prescribing doctor should keep you at as safe of a level as possible, while still providing you with pain management. again, just my opinion, but that is all i have!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

you are abusing them plain and simple,and you know it.you would not run out early if you werent abusing them so let this be a wake-up call.if you got pain then take what is scribed and not one extra.we all here started out just taking one extra every now and then and you can see what happened to us.also the ultram is what is stopping the w/ds right now.get back to taking as scribed and stick with it.if not it will take you to a dark place you never want to be in i promise.good luck-spark

Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ilovejoaquim HB User

oh hell ya the tramadol is helping you with the withdrawls. I did that one time, probably in the summer I was taking high doses of oxycontin and percosets together, I wanted to quit. My doctor gave me a prescription of tramadol for my back. I decided to take tramadol in case I had severe withdrawls from quitting OCs and percs. Within hours of taking my last dose of percoset I started loosing my energy and getting a headache, I took tramadol. A few hours later I took another, then another, then another and for that whole week I was taking tramadol ALL DAY. My script ran out and all of a sudden my withdrawls from tramadol were worse than withdrawls from percoset.
Never again will I take tramadol in my life!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
(female)

cam724 HB User

i am 15 hours away from 3 days with no percocet and no w/d's...yes i am taking the tramadol 4 to 6 a day....i am in excruciating pain though.....i even have a little energy, but i also take cymbalta and i have to be careful with the high serotonin levels.....so i will not take any more tramadol.....

Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ilovejoaquim HB User

cam,
cymbalta, what is that for? my doctor was talking to me about it before and thought maybe it was for me but i wasn't sure because i really didn't hear much about it at the time.
He said it gives you a kick of energy too.

Closed Thread