It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

myonlybabygirl HB User
pregnant and on methadone

hello to everyone,
this is my first time on the message board. i have a question for anyone who can help me. i am 7 months pregnant and i have been taking 10mg of methadone aday for the whole 7 months. i am scared to tell my dr. because i was not prescribed them. i have been getting them from a friend. my due date is near and i want to tell my dr. so that he will know when i deliver. but i am scared thay will take my baby. what should i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User
Re: pregnant and on methadone

Hi friend ....

I'm not a lawyer or a doctor but the first thing I am thinking is that you don't want to lose your baby. I also think you want to give that baby the best possible start in life. I'm concerned that s/he is addicted to methadone, and if you don't tell someone, it'll go through needless withdrawal without you after birth.

If this were me, I would think of some options:
a. Figuring out a tapering schedule that would help you AND the baby get clean before you deliver.
b. Trusting your doctor NOW, and taking the initiative to step up and say that you and your baby need help NOW.
c. Doing nothing and having Family & Child Protective Svcs make all the decisions for you.

I am saying all of this kindly and with a lot of care for your situation. Do you have any adult, drug-free friends, a pastor/rabbi - an adult - whom you can also confide in? Do you have any kind of insurance coverage of your own or your parents so you can go to rehab.

I want you and your baby to have the best life. I hope you find the option that helps you both find that.

I work with F&CPS (not in their dept but closely) so I don't know your state law, but ours automatically drug tests the baby at birth (via the meconium, not urine). Our state will automatically place your baby in CPS custody with a positive drug test. It's not impossible that you would regain custody, but if you take proative steps FORWARD NOW, you have a chance. Please know that there are many people who will want to keep you two together. But every day closer to delivery brings you closer to others finding out on their own, which weakens your case for being able to take care of that little one.

I know this must be hard to read but again, I am posting this to hopefully put your options on the table and help you find a way to keep moving forward. If I can help in anyway, all you need to do is ask. I will pray for you at work today and hope that you will find God's hand on your shoulder and the support on this board. Keep posting and let us know what steps you take and how things are going.

Droopy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hi,

i have edited this post because i have looked into it a in a bit more detail - please check my post above mano's

yoss

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Last edited by Yossarian22; 01-14-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: better advice found

Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Whew, that's a tough one! Personally I think you should tell your doctor and get his/her help. Your baby is dependent at this point. I don't know your situation or why your taking it, but I would assume to ward off withdrawl from a more serious opiate addiction? If this is the case, what is going to happen when the baby is born? If you haven't been able to wean or quit while pregnant, which should have been great motivation, I am worried what is going to happen when your baby is born. No one wants to lose their baby, but maybe getting some help and getting clean would be better in the long run, for everyone. Social Services is there for a reason....to help protect children, and even if they did step in and take your baby, it would only be until you met their requirements, which would probably be getting counseling and getting clean, and proving you are responsible enough to keep the baby on your own.

Maybe you could even do a little detective work 1st, and tell your Dr. or call social services anonymously and say that you have a friend who is pregnant and taking 'done and you are worried, and get his/her reaction....but this is serious and you could very well have the baby taken away from you, temporarily. They will test you and the baby at birth, because they will be able to tell the baby is in withdrawl....and from what i have read and heard on the subject you're much more likely to go into labor prematurely using opiates....and while 10 mg's a day is a low dose in the scheme of things, it's still a mighty potent drug.

I personally think you need some help here, before things get out of hand. Depression after giving birth is quite common, so i would be worried too that your use is going to skyrocket after birth, and you will NOT be able to take good care of a newborn while getting high and using. I would think you need to get some counseling and or into a program so you can get your life turned around.

It's all in your hands at this point....think of your unborn child's future and what you are doing to him/her. I'm not trying to be mean or nasty with any of this, but you really do need some help I think before things go from bad to worse.

mano

Last edited by mano2008; 01-14-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hey - im back.

after a bit of trawling i found out a few things which i'd like you to read.

According to Margaret A.E. Jarvis, M.D., and Sidney H. Schnoll, M.D., Ph.D., from the Medical College of Virginia, the risks to mother and fetus in methadone maintenance are far fewer than those associated with cycles of sudden withdrawal and reintoxication by street drugs, as well as the related lifestyle dangers including high-risk HIV related behaviors. Women denied or removed from methadone maintenance during pregnancy are highly likely to relapse into heroin use.

Jarvis and Schnoll based their conclusions on a review of the literature. Although there are few studies on the effects of opioids in human fetuses, animal studies indicate that such drug use produces fetal stress. Precipitated withdrawal is worse than intoxication, but cycles of abuse and withdrawal are particularly harmful.

Methadone maintenance is the best way to provide stabilization, although infants born to methadone maintained mothers may undergo a withdrawal syndrome after birth. Infant withdrawal "combines the symptoms of the adult withdrawal syndrome, with irritability, poorly coordinated sucking and, in the most severe cases, seizure and death." Lowering the methadone dosage can lessen or even eliminate this withdrawal syndrome, however. The authors report that "at methadone doses of less than 20 mg per day, little or no neonatal abstinence is seen."

Methadone treatment for pregnant women works best in "well-coordinated multidisciplinary care settings" where good obstetrical and medical care, as well as counseling and parenting education, can be provided.

However, the authors emphasize that they "discourage" withdrawal from methadone during pregnancy except under unusual circumstances.

Methadone maintenance is optimal in pregnancy.
(adapted from the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 26:155-161, 1994)

The Brown University Digest of Addiction Theory and Application, Feb 1995 v14 n2

so - i would say the best thing to do is to come clean with your doc - as mano said. - do not try and taper off alone - as this may be risky. your doc is the best option for you and your baby.

if you've read what i have posted - i hope that this has helped ease your anxiety - you are taking a minimal dosage - so your baby 'should' be ok. try not to worry/panic.

keep us posted as to how you are doing

yoss

Last edited by Yossarian22; 01-14-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

Hello,
I haven't admitted this to many people, but I too was taking small doses of methadone while pregnant. I didn't tell the Doctors. When my baby was born.. for the 2nd day we were in the hospital, I could tell certain things.. jerky hands, slept a lot, more than normal.. his temp rose some.. after a lot of praying.. the symptoms went away... and they were minimal. So much the Dr didn't see anything when they checked him out and the nurses that kept him both nights didn't see it. But I did because I knew what to look for. Try your best to get as low as possible. I know how impossible it can be to just open up and tell people. It's easier said than done. I'm just telling you this because I've been through it, and people that haven't don't know what they would do in this situation. Just play it by ear and do what you think is best for you and your baby. I did a lot of research before I had him, and Yoss is right in what he says below. I wish you all the best

g8trgrl

Old 01-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
(female)

myonlybabygirl HB User
Question Re: pregnant and on methadone

hay droopyeyes,
i am a very religous person and i truly believe that god has sent you to me. you sent chills up my spine when you said that you work for f&cps. because i need someone like you to talk to. first is it the law that my ob gyn has to report me if i tell him? i am not a past drug user and this is the first drug that i have been on. i had a a very serious accident where i fell into a four fot hole on private property and injuried my back a few months before i became pregnant and that is what put me on methadone. the owners of the property who live out of state are non cooperative and not willing to work with my lawyer, so my case has basicly been closed because i am notgoing be able to pay the dr bills or the lawyer if i can not collect any money from the property's owner. i am a single mother of 4 and had no insurance and because of that i could not afford to pay for my meds so i have been geting them from a friend. i have made it up in my mind that i am going to stop taking them when this batch is gone, but i am still worried that it will show up when i deliver at the end of march. what should i do? do you know how long it stays in the system? i want to tell my dr. so that he will know. will cps take all my kids if she test positive at birth? even if i have no prior drug problems or proir addicted children. i'm very confused and very scared.:

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
(female)

Im a mess HB User

Hi there..I havent been on for quite awhile. I suggest you do what some of the others suggested, taper off now, dont wait anylonger. I dont trust doctors, I use to work with them. They wont care about you, only the baby..I hate to tell you to hide it, but it may be for the best. I will send prayers your way..Good luck, and stay close to the board, and God...Im a Mess..Patti

Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User

I, too, believe in God, and that nothing is random - we end up around the people we should. Let me address your questions:

a. I don't work for F&CPS, but a department that works hand-in-hand.
b. My state does automatically drug test newborns and does take custody immediately if that test is positive for unprescribed drugs.

Ok, so now let's look forward:

c. You're a single mom with 4 kids and outstanding medical bills. March down to your county Dept of Social Svcs and apply for Medicaid. Don't wonder if you make too much money, and certainly don't be embarrassed. Again, state laws are a little different but this should be what you need to take with you:
-Your birth certificate
-Your SSN card
-Birth certs for your kids, proving you and they are US citizens (if you are not but they are, they are still eligible and you would be eligible for the labor/delivery charges only - apply now - you're close to the 45 day window where you can apply depending on delivery date)
-Proof of residency - a utility bill in your name/current address
-Wages: If you have worked in the last 3-6 months, bring any/all work stubs.
-Proof of any checking/savings accts - even if you only have 1 cent in them, bring the proof anyway.
-Kid's Dad - be ready to answer where Dad is, if he provides any support
-Any other adult in the house - same info as you.
-Any other income source (social security, veteran's compensation, pensions, etc.)
-If the Medi-Cal website shows you eligible providers, be ready to choose the doc you want. So many people envision some dirty clinic for Medicaid - not true - most private practices take Medicaid because they know they're going to get paid!
-Take your outstanding medical bills for you and kids (dental too). I won't speculate what they'll pay of those, but take them anyway.

Do this! You would be shocked how many people think they are not eligible who are. If you worked, you paid into this system and this is what it's for. From your profile, it says you are in California. Here's your state webpage:

[url]http://www.dhs.ca.gov/mcs/medi-calhome/[/url]

Medicare = Medicaid for Elderly (the e at the end of Medicare - elderly)
Medicaid - health care for the poor/needy

While you're there, apply for food stamps, too. a single mom with 4 kids...
Try to have someone watch your kids so you can go alone, or when they're in school. Take a book, and your patience.

I've got to get ready for work myself, but I'll end by saying:
-Get help for you and your family
-Figure out if you want to taper, quit cold turkey or get outside help
-Keep posting - we're all pulling for you without judgement.

And God believes in you, too.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
(female)

myonlybabygirl HB User

hello to my extended internet family,
this is myonlybabygirl. i wanted to give you an update. first and foremost i wanted to thank you for listening an responding and not judging me. i went to the doctor yesterday and at first i was going to tell him a lie but i just couldn't do it. so i told him the whole truth and he was very understanding he gave me a script for lortab to help me with the cravings. he told me to stop taking the methadone. he is going to give me a script every month until the baby is born. this way i will have a rx prescribed by a dr. and i will not have any worries about f&cps when my baby is born.

Closed Thread