It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

Lisa62 HB User
Old Timers, I have a question.....

I have been clean for 10 days now and things are getting better but i woke up today and have felt like it is day 3 or 4 all over again. Does that happen on occasion and if so, how often? Back in the days when I first started using AND quitting, it was much easier and after a week, I was absolutely fine. It is obvious that I have altered myself to the degree that I don't know how long it will take to feel "normal" again. I am trying to exercise but I am tired. Can you please tell me your experieince with the post detox but not feeling normal times and how long did it last? I would appreciate it greatly.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Old Timers, I have a question.....

Lisa,
I went cold turkey from a variety of pain pills. I did not feel good (physically) for about 2 weeks. I was able to function the whole time (never missed a day of work) but just felt like crap, even ran a low grade fever the whole time. Stomach issues, loss of appetite, headaches, body aches, insomnia, big time fatigue. So hang in there, you'll feel better soon. After I got through that, I went through a major depression. I'm now on an anti depressant that is finally helping. There is a light at the end of the tunnel
Best wishes,
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Lisa,
I can relate so well. I think many of us can and that's how we got in so deep....Those first few detoxes I bounced back from in 1 months time and felt totally fine again....then a few months would go by and I would say "hey that wasn't so bad, maybe I can control it this time, lol. I think it's a learning experience, getting addicted on the different levels and then quitting for good....or not.

Your comment, "It is obvious that I have altered myself to the degree that I don't know how long it will take to feel "normal" again." is pretty correct. It's hard to say how long it will be, but I think those relapses really messed us up! Keep doing what you are...exercising, eating right, trying to keep your stress level down...all those things....and keeping yourself busy with something, anything. Force that exercise as much as you can. It will get better, but keep in mind any opiates that enter your brain in the next several months are going to just drive it crazy and be a setback, so just hang on and be glad you're still able to quit on your own...you're close to being to the point that maybe the next time, you won't have it in you to do it on your own and will need sub or methadone or something, and then you're really screwed, basically.
you can do this,,,,you're doing great. I think the fact you made it 10 days on your own shows you will bounce back relatively quickly.
Congrats on 10 days....that is outstanding The next time you think about using, play the whole thing through in your head first and remember where it will take you...play the tape forward i like to say...where is this slip going to take me, from my previous experience's?

Feel better soon...you should start to have some good days, and I'll bet by months end you'll be a different person...if you don't use. I have faith in you and it is a new year...make it a great one!!

mano

Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
(female)

Lisa62 HB User

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I will feel better than today.

The good news is that I really have no access to Vicodin or percs now. I have no valid reason to be on long term pain meds and would have been clean for about 4 months now except for gall bladder surgery and telling myself that I could handle the meds. Anyway, another lesson learned.

I appreciate all the encouragement and also the straight truth when it comes to staying drug free.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Hey Lisa... Finally back!!! So your not feeling to well? I honestly think it's just going to take time...How long were you using the meds? For me I was on them for eight years so I know that I probably won't be normal for a long time. I'm one week clean and of course not sleeping well, stomach still upset, just really don't feel good ..but I know my body is trying to heal itself. We will beat this addicition!!!

Let me know how your doing today!!

Winnie

Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Mitchem85 HB User

Winnie,

i just want to let you know you are a huge inspiration to me for going through what you are going through and still be able to get on here and type.

I tried quitting cold turkey so many times and after 2-3 weeks i would crack and go back. I hate it, but i see you are willing to deal with the W/D symptoms and all, and applaud you for that because you are stronger than me. If i dont take suboxen (which is just started a few days ago) then im not doin nothin but laying in my bed. (and i hate that becuase it's not me and it's so obvious there's something going on)

you will be in my prayers and i will be sending healing vibes to you so hopefully you an catch em and feel a little relief.

thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Thank you for the prayers I need all I can get!! I know all to well about the relapse's what really got to me were the craving's... they were the worst. I don't think at all I am stronger than you ...I think it's just determination. I'm to the point I refuse to let pills take more of my life away from me. I lost eight years from being high, then trying to withdraw and get clean, then I failed and got high again etc. Beleive me the last week has been a huge stuggle.. the withrawls are horrible but if you look at it as a positive its just your body trying to get well again. I mean I have abused my body for so long that it's going to take time. I to felt like crap and wanted to stay in bed, but I had no choice you just have to keep moving. If you read some of my posts from last week I thought I was going to die but eveybody here pushes you through. Without the help of Reachout, Yoss, Tate, Capt, Lisa62, many more I would be poppin pills again by now. Let us help you!!

Winnie

Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Lisa

Keep up the good work. It seems all is going as it should... not that it is pleasant at all, but pretty par for the course. And par sure beats going backwards, Lisa.

How long until you feel normal? Okay, I am going to give it to you straight... it is going to be a while yet. In the next couple of weeks, you are going to notice that your body gets back on a more normal routine. Less withdrawal symptoms will be noticed. Falling asleep is usually the last symptom to clear up, but it does finally clear up.

To help feel normal again, we first have to PUSH ourselves into normal routines. Make ourselves get up in the morning and get going. It is okay to take some rests as needed, but establish routines again. If there are chores you have been neglecting, start incorporating them one at a time into the daily routine again. We need to start filling in those time slots where we used to be incapacitated by drugs and put the time to use with new or re-established routine habits. Maybe a walk everyday at 2PM...everyday until it becomes a habit. A rest everday at 4PM. Throw in a load of laundry everyday at 8AM. Stuff like that helped filled my time and force me back into what I knew were normal routines even if they felt weird at first. We have to practice a lot to follow a routine that makes our day feel productive to us and eventually it will.

The feeling of being off-balance fades slowly. At first it was exhausting to me to have any kind of routinee, but I forced the issue with myself and saw results. I started within my home and then branched out. I started making phone contact with old friends once a day, usually in the evening. I tried to pass an hour talking, just chitchat, to old friends and family for an hour total. It helped bring back that sense of reality and normality. From the time I started tapering until I finished and tghen really and truly felt totally restored was about 10-12 months. Do not be disheartened by this time frame! It gets progressively better as we go along and 10-12 months represents the time to just feel so emotionally and soulfully well again. The physical symptoms fade long, long before that.

I am sure we would all like it to be a much shorter time, but it is a process that works in nature's time, not in our tired brain's time. Smiles. 6 weeks from now you are going to feel so much better and will be able to understand how great it is to know that by a year's end time you are going to feel better than you ever thought possible. That is a great thing to know is in our futures.

Keep working it, Lisa, keep working it.

In my thoughts
reach

Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
(female)

Lisa62 HB User

Oh Reach,

Thank you! That is just what I am looking to hear. I need the truth and I think that previously, I was expecting miraculous results. As I stated before, maybe in the early days I would feel fine after a week but it has been YEARS and so it will take as long as it takes. Your suggestion to do things to occupy my time and establish a rountine is already happening. I have been making lists in my Daytimer and as I finish them, I draw a big line through them. I actually cleaned out my car, ok partially, but there was stuff that I forgot even existed in there! I am worried about something and that is that as soon as I start to feel better, something comes along and throws me back. Last time, it was my gall bladder surgery. This time, my Mother is having her 2nd CT scan for a mass on her Pancreas. I just hope and pray it is something non-big. I will have to wait and see what the prognosis is but I am worried.

I do like having a long term goal so I will keep the 10 month mark in my mind. Thanks again for the honesty. I don't want anything sugarcoated at this stage in the process.

Closed Thread