It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

Azraela HB User
Unhappy New to this discussion group, withdrawling off oxycodone, in need of advice!

Hello,
I don't know really where to start, so I guess I'll start from the beginning. I guess this whole addiction thing began when I was put on xanax about 3 years ago or maybe longer. Before I was officially prescribed the med. I would take one for extreme panic attacks from my mom, or from a friend of mine. They really helped me for awhile, but I was on them for so long that I kept increasing the dose little by little and drinking excessively with them. I was popping those things like tic-tacs! Anyway, over awhile I began feeling just more and more depressed and I was over reacting like a crazy lady to everything. It was like something was so wrong in my head. I learned later that my body was in constant withdrawl and needed more and more of the xanax. So, off I went to rehab inpatient for a week. This was one of the worse times in my life and I will NEVER forget it. I was scared, I felt like I was in prison cuz I knew I couldn't leave. Once the withdrawl kicked in...well many of you know it's HELL ON EARTH! I was having constant diarhea, vomiting, crying profusely,did not eat for over a week, lost 15 pounds and I'm normally 125 lbs.At night, the insomnia was unbearable, it felt like someone was stabbing me with a meat hook in my left eye. In the day, I felt like I was crawling out of my skin, I couldn't sit still, my heartrate was going up into the 200's, I was writhing in pain, and then I began having auditorial hallucinations!!! It was like someone had a buzz saw up to my ear and it wouldn't stop. On top of it my psychiatrist was abusive, said he didn't believe I was having these symptoms!So, that was my tryst with the big X. Have not touched the stuff since, but, get this, the psychiatrist the hospital sent me to, put me right back on a benzo...Klonopin. I wasn't about to say "no thanks," because I felt so awful still. I don't see that shrink anymore, I don't see any shrinks because I don't have any faith in them.So, now I've been on a steady dose of between 4-7 mg. of klonopin a day. Last year my doc (who hands out narcs like a candy dispenser,) started me on vicodin because I used to be an RN and had a work injury to my upper back. He also put me on baclofen. I was on the vicodin for 1 year because I was having chronic daily headaches/migraine, but went to a neurologist who said I was having something called "rebound headaches,' and I needed to get off of it. So, I slowly tapered off the vicodin and was given imatrex and propranolol for migraines...and an emergency supply of oxycodone (I'm still on the baclofen). So, all was somewhat okay with my head, and then out of the blue, not long after I'd been off the vicodin, I started having SEVERE upper abdominal pain. My doc kept refilling the oxy, but I still felt like hell. I couldn't work, I was in bed days at a time, etc. So, he sent me to the GI doc who did an endoscopy and that's where I am now. That doc wanted me off the oxycodone, because my food was not digesting, so once again I s-l-o-w-l-y weened. I was down to crumbs until yesterday. I am still having severe stomach pain to the point where I can't eat anything except jello, and yogurt or I vomit and have horrible diarhea. I also still have chronic severe head pain. I have another stomach test this friday, but do you all think that all this could be my body going through multiple withdrawls at once since These drugs haven't had a lot of time to get out of my body?? I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm tired all the time, my whole body hurts, sometimes I pray and cry to God when I'm in such pain that I will just die peacefully in my sleep. I feel hopeless. I want my pain medicine back, I've been thinking of going and asking for something a little less potent like tylenol 3 or ultram. I'm a mess, I'm an addict, and I don't know what to do besides take medicine to feel functional. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: New to this discussion group, withdrawling off oxycodone, in need of advice!

Hello Azraela

I cried when I read of what happened when you came off the Xanax. I tapered off Xanax myself ( under a doctor at home) and what you described was so true for me, also. The taper started with too big a cut and as you have so accurately descibed, it was horrible. The taper was then adjusted to a MUCH slower pace, months long, and while still difficult, nothing like the initial horror.

I also tapered off Oxycodone. This taper was completed over a few months time before I picked up on the Xanax taper again and finally finished that also. It is too much, far too much, to come off two different classes of drugs simutaneously.

The stomach pains... I am absolutley not a doctor in any way, but I wonder if this is a possibility..... using opiates long term causes not only a slowing down of all of our systems, but also constipation, which becomes the 'norm' for us. Constipation will actually stretch the muscles of the digestive system. They can become weaker from this constant stretching. It crosses my mind that not only is the food not disgesting well, but that the muscles needed to push it on down the track are weakened. What do you think of this possibility?

Azraela, whatever decision you make with your doctor concerning medical treatment is between the two of you. Please, just don't make the mistake of thinking Tylenol 3 or Ultram will make the journey here any easier. Both are addictive drugs, both will cause the addiction to continue. When I first started reading your post, I thought there was a wish to get off the addiction cycle. As I continued to read that you are considering asking for different types of the same family of meds, I am not sure of your goal. I am truly sorry you are in such pain. Truly. I hope some resolution is found.

Please keep us updated on your decisions and health. We all want to help others who are suffering.

Best wishes
reach

Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User
Re: New to this discussion group, withdrawling off oxycodone, in need of advice!

Hi and adding to Reach,

I'm having gallbladder-ectomy next Thurs. I've been taking Norco for about 2 years and have had gallstone symptoms for about 6 months. Some sites say that drugs can cause the stones.

The pain is upper right quadrant, right under your right ribcage (can also be tender in the curve by your sternum). Since your GB is part of the liver, you may wonder if it's liver pain. anyway, an ultrasound can pick up the stones so I'm curious why your doc hasn't done one.

The opiates slowing everything down explains a lot of this (to me) - I'm rarely hungry and feel bloated a lot. Constipated - all the time. I'm doing a very slow taper and I can tell everything is loosening up.

I suggest daily walks - 20 minutes at a time - as much water as you can stand, or non-caffeinated fluids.

Keep moving forward.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
(female)

Azraela HB User

Thank you for both replying. Reach, sorry I made you cry, it is a sad story though. I used to work as a geri-psych RN, and you wouldn't believe the sad stories I could tell; you'd cry a river.
Anyway, off topic there, but to both of you, this is a long hard journey. I WANT to make it through. I want to be able to get out of bed before 3pm, ,like normal people, I want to go to cosmetology school in March and excel to the top, I want to get a bulldog puppy and have the energy to train him and play with him, and I want to be better for my fiance, God bless him, he's been with me through ALL of this, and I want to laugh with him again instead of having a constant look of pain on my face and be able to go out and do fun things. I am scheduled for x-rays Friday. I think it's the barium kind. I hope they find something and this will go away soon. Or, like I said before, it could be withdrawl, because my head is also just pounding from the minute I wake up. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again, A.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

You were both right about opiates causing bowel problems from long term constipation. I actually split a bowel open and was bleeding from the rectum...of course a colonoscopy was done to determine the cause, and I also found out i had developed diverticulitis. I know this was from opiates too, because i had had a routine colonoscopy done just 5 years earlier prior to opiate use and my bowels were perfect at that time....and I'm not old. The GI Dr. who preformed the colonoscopy told me this was common for opiate users / abusers.
I've been weaning off suboxone recently, and my gut kills me in the mornings, and i do take Milk of Magnesia nightly, which helps greatly with the constipation. Even at 1.3 mg of sub I'm still just as constipated as ever...There's another hint sub is more powerful than many think.

Our brains aren't the only things that get messed up, and I'm sure we're playing havoc on other organs too.

mano

Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'm in a pain management program and on heavy does of opiates.....I used to have a lot of constipation, but started taking fiber....Metamucial (sp?)...Take it each night, and it works WONDERS. No bowel pain, strain, or anything. I have a BM 2-3 times a day, and everything works great. You may have to play with the dosing to get it just right....Too much causes very loose stools, maybe even slight diarhea....Too little and the BM is hard and hurts. BTW, the fiber pills don't work very well and avoid them if you can. Get the husk fiber that comes in a container and mix with water. Tastes like thick OJ. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread