It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

volunteers HB User
Can addiction cause physical depression?

Can a low dosage hydrocodone daily usage (2 to 4 a day) for years and years actually physically cause depression? Isn't depression your brain not producing enough of something? What in hydro's can cause that? Or is it just "in my head"?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
Re: Can addiction cause physical depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteers View Post
Can a low dosage hydrocodone daily usage (2 to 4 a day) for years and years actually physically cause depression? Isn't depression your brain not producing enough of something? What in hydro's can cause that? Or is it just "in my head"?
I know I get depressed in between "doses" so I am sure it is caused by the meds. It is like your brain wants something and if it doesn't get it, the brain gets mad and you get depressed. A lot of people trying to taper or stop usually have an anti-depressant that they take as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

yes, use of opiates can cause depression, among other things.

Your brains opiate receptors grow after prolonged use, and natural endorphin production is reduced, or even stops completely, so the receptors need more and more opiate to feel the same. When your opiate receptors aren't happy, they can cause depression and imaginary or increased pain.....I bet your doctor failed to mention that part huh??

I've read recent studies that say SSRI type anti depressants don't help this type of depression. If you were depressed before you started using opiates they might....although i have heard dependant people say AD;s have helped them, but so does the passing of time without opiates.

Your dose is low and your brain wants more, quite simply, and if you don't give it what it wants, it will make you suffer. Wonderful stuff isn't it?!

mano

Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Yes!! When you are addicted you go through depression and sometimes severe. Before I started to withdraw I starting taking Wellbutrin for the depression. I think it has helped...when I started the withdrawl process before I was so depressed I could barley get out of bed and I was so angry at everybody. But this time it's diffrent it could be because of the Wellbutrin or it could be because I'm in a diffrent mind frame. I am determined to take my life back. But, yes depression is huge when you are addicted and trying to withdraw. I think between that and the cravings is why most of us fail and go back to using.

Winnie

Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

A big yes here also. I never realized how bad depression could be until I went cold turkey from pain pills. I've been clean almost 4 months now and have finally found an anti-depressant that is working (3rd one). Or who knows, maybe it's just the passage of time. I think alot of it had to do with realizing I can't have anymore and was just not liking the way I felt "clean". All the demons you were trying to drown with the hydro seem to come back in full force when you quit. I cried more in a few months than I cried in a lifetime.
Feeling better though, thank God. I hope you feel better soon.
Best wishes,
JB

Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

bks1617 HB User

Granny O

Do you mind sharing what AD is working for you? I have tried a couple but neither has helped.

Thanks
Faith

Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hi Faith.
Zoloft is finally working for me. I started with Cymbalta but could not tolerate it. Gave me bad headaches. Two weeks after that, switched to Lexapro. I was on that for over 2 months. It did nothing for me. I almost think it made me worse. I've been on Zoloft now for almost 3 weeks and this is the first time in months that I have not felt depressed. Actually, within days of going off the Lexapro and on the Zoloft, I noticed a difference. Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
JB

Closed Thread