It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

gabbygrace HB User
Need advice on "pill Doctor"

Hi,
I usually post on the pain mgmt. board but I have a question and thought someone on here might be able to help me. My Grandson, he is 22 has found this doctor that is giving out pills like they are candy. I know for a fact that his girlfriends Mother is seeing him and now my Grandson is too and this doctor is giving him so much stuff and I don't know what to do. Is there a way to have this doctor investigated? It is worring his Mother so and we just don't know how to go about putting a stop to this. Please someone, tell me what I can do. My Grandson is not a bad kid but if this keeps up I'm afraid where it might lead. Any advice would be so very appreciated.
Gabby Grace

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

HappyFlower HB User
Re: Need advice on "pill Doctor"

Gabby Grace,

I am assuming he is not taking the medication for chronic pain? From your post, I gather that your grandson is just flat out telling the doctor lies? How much is this doctor giving and what medication?

I would say what can be done depends on how much meds this doc is handing out and what the meds are. If your grandson is going in once a month and getting 30 Lortab for "muscle pain" and that is it, there is probably not much that can be done-as this is a reasonable dose and they would have to prove your grandson is fibbing. However, if your grandson is getting 120 Oxycontin a month for "muscle pain" that is a different story. I would think you could call the state medical board or something....maybe obtain some records from the pharmacy and send a written letter along with the pharmacy info. (Is your grandson on your daughters insurance? If so, ask the insurance to send you their Rx records.) Things could get sticky with the HIPPA laws, but where there is a will there is a way!! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

The quantity and quality of meds could be based on info provided from grandson.

Is there an existing medical condition that you are unaware of?

One thing to consider; is he getting the correct amounts of meds but not taking them as directed?

You can always have an "i'm concerned about you" talk with your grandson.

Maybe you can convince him to show you the meds/quantities/milligrams prescribed.

Phoenix

Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

gabbygrace HB User

I didn't explain this situtation very well, I was upset when I wrote the post last night. Here is the deal. My Grandson went to this Dr. when he was in a car wreak and he gave him soma (30) I didn't think anything about it but my Daughter finally told me the whole thing about this last night. She tries not to tell me anything that might worry me. My Grandsons girlfriend's Mom was a nurse ( I don't know why she no longer works, I guess from something medical) anyway she gets pills from this doctor and hands them out to her kids (a son and daughter 19 & 22) like they are candy.So of course she gives them to my Grandson as well. The other night the mother sat up all night taking "xanex bars" whatever the heck that is and called a friend trying to trade pills for pot! She has vicoden, xanex, kalonipin,soma and anything else she seems to want and I know for a fact this doctor is giving them to her. It's just a big mess. I don't care what this woman does but when my Grandson is in the middle of it I'm worried sick. My Daughter says this woman is a nut and really strung out. I guess I kind of sound like a nut myself but I'm just so worried. I take lortab for severe neck pain and I keep them locked up and never take more than what I'm prescribed. I know people need some meds to live day to day but this is not right and I just don't want my grandson getting into trouble or addicted or anything else. He is not hurting physically,so I know he doesn't need medication. He is just caught up in this mess. I just want to know if there is someone I can contact to have this investigated. I'm not trying to have some doctor shut down, but I do think he needs to be checked out to see if he is giving out too much to people.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

You could report him to the state medical board, but it would be hard to case to prove. Honestly, I think Doctor that dish out pills like candy to it for a reason....Money! They know their patients will become dependent, and can then count on having them come in each and every month for a prescription refill. It is absurd and wrong, but happens everywhere....even with doctors who are supposed to be helping people in recovery.

Your best bet may be to try and explain to your GS what changes he is making to his brain and body, and that permanent damage may be done, and hope he listens.

And / or, inform the police about the girlfriends Mom handing out pills....You could even do this anonymously, but a direct call would be best. What she is doing is very wrong!

Good luck, and good for you for getting involved!

mano

Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

your first concern should be your grandson, the woman sounds like a nut but shes not prying open your grandsons mouth..is she? if hes taking the pills from her than he must have a problem..does he admit to anything like that?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

gabbygrace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
your first concern should be your grandson, the woman sounds like a nut but shes not prying open your grandsons mouth..is she? if hes taking the pills from her than he must have a problem..does he admit to anything like that?
I know she's not forcing him to take the pills but it sounds like he isn't refusing them either. I'm just so afraid of him becoming addicted. Thanks for everyones help.
Gabby

Old 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Hi Gabby, from what I have been told doctors have to prescribe medication if a patient complains about pain. Once my son and I both went to the doctor together. His exam room was next to mine and heard him pester the doctor to death until she gave in (and I forewarned the doctor).

A legitimate doctor will insist the patient go for tests (MRI, etc) to further figure out what is causing the pain or seek pain management as a solution.

You can contact your local police department and ask to discuss the matter with a detective in charge of narcotics.

Addiction happens in a snap. Addicts only hang out with other addicts and let me make this very clear, a girlfriend who is abusing drugs is the angel of death to your grandson, NOT an angel sent from heaven. I am a grandmother, I take my older grandson two weekends a month, I would ring his neck and he knows it and I would be all over my daughter if she cut me out of the loop. cram315

Old 01-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
(female)

gabbygrace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram315 View Post
Hi Gabby, from what I have been told doctors have to prescribe medication if a patient complains about pain. Once my son and I both went to the doctor together. His exam room was next to mine and heard him pester the doctor to death until she gave in (and I forewarned the doctor).

A legitimate doctor will insist the patient go for tests (MRI, etc) to further figure out what is causing the pain or seek pain management as a solution.

You can contact your local police department and ask to discuss the matter with a detective in charge of narcotics.

Addiction happens in a snap. Addicts only hang out with other addicts and let me make this very clear, a girlfriend who is abusing drugs is the angel of death to your grandson, NOT an angel sent from heaven. I am a grandmother, I take my older grandson two weekends a month, I would ring his neck and he knows it and I would be all over my daughter if she cut me out of the loop. cram315
Thanks cram, I appreciate the help.
Gabby

Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Mose HB User

Please, go hug your Grandson-immediately! a hard, firm and long hug so that you both feel each others warmth. Then walk away. Do not answer his questions, but tell him to think about things call tomorrow at [set time], "and that will be your last hug and the memory of him youll take to your grave. If he doesn't call, its already too late. If he calls, have a blunt heart to heart with him. is he hurt? why take pills? Get the lowdown then get him asap to another doc and go with him. DO NOT INVOLVE OTHERS UP TO NOW. ITS YOU AND HIM. NEXT, DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT.
MOSES MANN, I WAS HUGGED 24 YRS AGO, SHE TOOK IT TO HER GRAVE.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i agree that at the very least here a call to the police about this situation is defintiely in order.for gods sake,this woman is giving very strong Rx meds to people other than who they have been Rxed for.who knows what she is actually exchanging these for with other people you have not yet heard anything about(if she is as unstable as you think who really actually knows just what she has going on at her 'home').this woman is a drug dealer pure and simple and she does need to be reported.i would also tell the police about your suspiscions egarding the Drs rxing practices,thats just a whole other ballgame and would involve a DEA investigation and looking into medical records of his patients and any real documantation of the real NEED for all the Rxes.you could very easily be saving someones life by doing this.this is soo not right in so many ways from the womans lifestyle and drug abuse to the doc who appears to be not really caring about who he is actually Rxing to whom or how much.

just how old is your granson,if you posted it already i am sorry its on the other page and if i flip back,i seem to lose things.just wondering.but either way,what this woman is making availiable to him is just not right at all,not to mention very highly illegal.she just should not be doing it period,with any med at any time.there is just know way to actually know how any person will actually respond to any med let alone one that is not even rxed for them,you know what i mean?

i would have a seroius chat with your grandson about how things are going in his life and what you have found out and that only because you care and are concerned,you just really need to hear from him whats up and how he is feeling right now and why he feels he even needs to be taking anything not Rxed for him too.you may be someone who feels he may be able to trust.grandparents are usually not as judgmental as parents ya know?

but either way here one thing most definitely needs to be done and thats the phone call to your local police dept and tell them what you know has been going on and your very real fears for your grandson and his friends's well being having a drug addict/dealer for a mom.are there any minors living in that home with her?if so,that also ups the risk and need to tell whats going on.i personally would not actually DO anything as far as the doc goes since that really is kind of out of your hands right now(any suspiscions by the police will be followed up on either by them or the state licensing board or the DEA or all three),but concentrate on the very real problems that you can help with.just make that phone call or even stop in to speak with a detective/investigator about this.it would most likely be acted on more quickly and also taken much more seriously if you actually showed up to speak in person.i don't think i would mention anything about this just yet to your grandson.maybe at some point but right now,this woman and her crap just needs some deeper investigating.it would appear she is breaking a few laws here already.and those are the ones you actually know about.this just needs to be stopped before someone ends up in the hospital or worse.by simply passing this info off to the police,you have relieved yourself of that responsibility and its in their hands,then you can concentrate on your grandson.this woman just needs to be out of the picture.i wish you the best here with your grandson and the whole situation.hopefully the police will be able to do something about her.then they can check into the doc and HIS practices.if he is actually not doing anything wrong(you really don;t know anything about him for certain yet)he and his patients will be fine,but if he is,well,he does deserve something for that.please keep us posted on things,K?marcia

Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User

Gabby,

If you live in the same county as Mom, call the county Dept of Social Svcs, specifically Child Protective Svcs.

If Mom lives in another county, call THAT county.

By making the report, the investigators, in conjunction with law enforcement, will have to investigate and report. If her 19/20 year olds reside in the same house, that's the basis for a lawful investigation. (I know we get used to 18 year olds being considered adults, even if they live in the same house, but actually, it's 21 in this case.)

Try to stick to facts and not passion, and then call every week for an update.

In my line of work, we welcome people making reports - not "tattling" but rather showing concern. We investigate and many times, rule unjustified. But we handle things professionally and do our best to keep families intact. Sure there are hard feelings but the motivation is keeping a child SAFE.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

droop, he is not a child, hes 22 yrs old...lets be realistic here if she were to do that the police would laugh at her..he is an adult male..thats just the way it is..sad but true..

Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
(female)

gabbygrace HB User

Thanks Everyone, for all your help/advice. I decided, tomorrow I'm going to do something. I don't know what exactly yet but I'm not going to stand by and let her get by with what she is doing. Will let you know what comes of this.
Gabby

Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User

Oops --- sorry gabby & jules --- misread the situation ---

(Where's my reading glasses?!)

Closed Thread