It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

dlr75 HB User
tramadol withdrawel

A little over a year and a half ago I hurt my back and was prescribed vicodin and then percocet. I did not want to keep taking them long term because I did not want to get addicted and I can not take them at work. Then my MD prescribed me tramadol which I then assumed was not going to give me withdrawel effects, and I could work while taking them. I also thought this was a short term issue and I would not need to take anything for very long. I also thought because I never took them to get the high feeling and only for pain that everything would be fine and it could not happen to me. I was so wrong. Recently I started seeing an accupuncturist and my pain is almost gone, thus not needing any medication. So I stopped taking it. At about 18-24 hours after the last pill I started to feel like I could not stop moving, if I tried to rest it was the worst sensation I have ever felt. I now have tried to stop taking this medication twice and have not gotten past 12 hours into detox without taking another pill. That scares the hell out of me. It was the first time I ever took the medication for anything other than pain, and I also never even took in one day the maximum dose I could take. Can someone please tell me how long that creepy crawly can't get comfortable feel like you are having a mental breakdown feeling lasts? Also any medications that people have taken to help them. I feel like I want someone to totally knock me out for 3-5 days and then I can wake up and feel human again. Also how long do you suggest to be off of work for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

Winnie31 HB User
Re: tramadol withdrawel

Welcome to the nasty world of withdrawl!! I to have taken tramadol and the withdrawl was horrible and I even tapered off. You also will probably need to taper slowley that should help although you will have some sort of withdrawl. All you can really do for the symptoms is the home detox plan at the top of the page. I found that heat on my muscles helped, tons of baths, ibuprofen. Nothing really helps the anixety, restlessness, etc you just have to tough it out. First few days are the worst but it does get better day by day.

Good Luck,
Winnie

Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

kentuckygal33 HB User

I'm sorry you're going thru this. I have taken Tramadol off and on for 4 years for Fibromyalgia and now Lupus. I have never had withdrawl symptoms from stopping. I had no idea that drug was even addictive.
I wish you good luck. I have no advice but I want you know that someone cares and hopes you the best.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

dlr75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie31 View Post
Welcome to the nasty world of withdrawl!! I to have taken tramadol and the withdrawl was horrible and I even tapered off. You also will probably need to taper slowley that should help although you will have some sort of withdrawl. All you can really do for the symptoms is the home detox plan at the top of the page. I found that heat on my muscles helped, tons of baths, ibuprofen. Nothing really helps the anixety, restlessness, etc you just have to tough it out. First few days are the worst but it does get better day by day.

Good Luck,
Winnie
I hope I did this right. It is my first time on this sight. Does the restless leg symptoms stay for the whole time. I can not sleep when this is happening and I took Nyquil, I also tried taking 2 flexeril muscle relaxers, and a sleeping pill and nothing. I felt more awake. I wonder is I have the strength to do this on my own. How many people end up needing to go somewhere. It really scares me because I never abused the medication and I am only taking one 50 mg pill a day at this time. How can I possibly have that bad of a withdrawel from this med.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

During withdrawl insomnia is a huge factor for everybody. I know how you feel nothing works!!! Unfortunately sleep is the last to return to normal. I have been withdrawing from Hydros for almost three weeks and I still have problems in that area. Restless legs do not stay forever.. but I would say from my experience with it about four to five days.

I know it's hard when you feel like crap and have gone for days with no sleep ...but trust me it does get better give it a few days and you will see!!

Hang in there!!!
Winnie

Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
(female)

dlr75 HB User

I just contacted my doctors office. Hopefully they will not shun me, or act like I am crazy. I am an RN and know how much pain medication is given out. I always thought if you took it for pain you could not become addicted. Wow will I practice differently.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
(female)

dlr75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckygal33 View Post
I'm sorry you're going thru this. I have taken Tramadol off and on for 4 years for Fibromyalgia and now Lupus. I have never had withdrawl symptoms from stopping. I had no idea that drug was even addictive.
I wish you good luck. I have no advice but I want you know that someone cares and hopes you the best.
I urge you to do whatever you can to not take this medication. If you take one pill every few days maybe you will be ok. I have all of the characteristics of fibromyalgia and just recently started going to an accupuncturist and that is why I feel my pain is so manageable without the tramadol. Go and see an accupuncturist you might not have to take anything for your pain anymore. I never in a million years would have thought I would have to go through withdrawels when you are not even taking the high end of the prescribed dose of medication.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

if you're only taking the 50mg a day and still suffering WD, I would suggest tipping a tip a bit extra of the power every day. That is unless they do 25mg tablets, I can't remember, but your dose is already quite low and a little WD pain and it will pass soon and BTW your dependant on the drug, not addited!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

dlr75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasterboy View Post
if you're only taking the 50mg a day and still suffering WD, I would suggest tipping a tip a bit extra of the power every day. That is unless they do 25mg tablets, I can't remember, but your dose is already quite low and a little WD pain and it will pass soon and BTW your dependant on the drug, not addited!!!
Thanks for the reply. What did you mean by "tipping a tip a bit extra of the power every day". I wish I could cut down to 5mg or whatever everyday, the pills are so small and I don't know if I can cut them, because it does say not to crush them. I am hoping my doctor can give me a few meds to help through hopefully the 1-2 days of horribleness. I have a whole new outlook on dependency and addiction. Everyone thinks why don't they just stop.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

in the UK the tablets are soft capsules. I guess you'res are hard tablets?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

dir75- What do your pills look like? Mine were white with a line and you could break them in half. I tapered to a half for ten or so days.

Winnie

Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
(female)

dlr75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie31 View Post
dir75- What do your pills look like? Mine were white with a line and you could break them in half. I tapered to a half for ten or so days.

Winnie
I have in the past had the kind you are describing. It was from a different pharmacy. The ones I have our small and round, and do not have a line in them. I guess I could take a knife and cut them in half. Or even cut them in half at work. So even after you were only taking 25 mg for 10 or more days you still had withdrawals. You would think that your body would not need such a small dose. This is so overwhelming for me, and I feel like this is the only place I can talk about it. I have talked to my husband, and I know if I really laid it on the line for him he would support me through it, but I have been strong for everything that has happened in my life, and this makes me feel like such a weak person.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

You are not weak at all!!!!!! These pills are evil..I'm not the only one that has had the problems with these pills. Yes, I tapered and still had the restlessness and insomnia. Most of the other symptoms disappeared but these held on. I also know that some people didn't have a problem quiting but they didn't take them that long. I will never ever take another Tramadol again I still have nightmares about them!!!!

Winnie

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #14
(female)

MsMinn HB User

Hi,
I have been addicted to tramadol/ultram twice now and this last time I tapered very very slowly. I got down to about 3 a day and then slowly went to 2.5, then 2, then 1.5, etc. I did use a knife to cut them in 1/2 and even 1/4 towards the end. I gave each taper at least a week. It took a long time but was easier on me mentally as ultram does give a seratonin boost and I am already on an antidepressant so it just added to that. I still had some depression while tapering, but not as bad as it would have been. Then, when I was ready to be done, I planned to take my last one on a Weds so that the worst of the withdrawals would hit on a weekend. It sucked...fever, chills, flu-like stuff, anxiety, but didn't last more than 5 days total I think. The mental stuff lingered longer but eventually my brain got used to being without it.
It is a very addictive drug for some as it attaches to the same brain receptors as an opiate, even though it's not classified as an opiate.

I wish you strength and calm in this process. It's not easy but it is worth it to be free of it.

Minn

Old 01-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've noticed people prone to depression have a bigger problem coming off this drug, due to the lose of seratonin etc

Closed Thread