It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

Winnie31 HB User
Pelvic Pain

Well to all who know I have withdrawn from hydros the last three weeks. I have suffered for a long time with pelvic pain which I took the hydros for. The deal is that I still sufffer from pain about a week to ten days out of the month. I have done all the over the counter meds, massage, narcotics etc. I take Ibprofrin every four to six hours and heat...but it's starting to really bother me Any suggestions

Winnie

Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

redrockrag HB User
Re: Pelvic Pain

My dilema is the same only with my back and neck. I don't know what to do with legitimate pain when I'm out of meds because I have used them to chill, work or whatever. I'm so mad at myself. I'm out and have a huge week. It's what I deserve.
RR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
(male)

lnhguy HB User

hey winnie sorry that your not feeling well. i know that i need to see a doc for a couple of questions(nothing big just want to make sure i'm alright after abusing meds for so long) but i have been hesitant to b/c of the temptation. really don't know what to say win. give it some more time if you can or maybe talk to your doc and explain everything.
nhguy

Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
(female)

jkm1201 HB User
Wink Re: Pelvic Pain

hi guys, just wanted to add my 2 cents here... I also dealt with debilitating pelvic pain for many, many years. I'm certain that the pain and my desperate need to relieve it helped contribute to the level of addiction I was once at. I understand, really... the pain can be consuming. I used to miss school 2-3 days EVERY month and stumble through work for those same 2-3 days after I got older. I was fortunate because in 1997 I had a hysterectomy and the pain ended. My addiction didn't. It continued for a very long time and I truely believe that my 'girl pains' and my doctor's inability to do anything to help other than prescribe ridiculous amounts of narcotics, left me doomed. I know there are a lot of med's out there that might help, but they could also contribute to the problem. After years of trying many types of meds, you know what I found out?... Aleve, stinkin' naproxsyn, worked better that anything else. Only when I was completely honest with myself though, I think sometimes I intensified the pain in my mind in order to keep popping those narcotics.
Your going to feel some pain sweetie, it's inevitable. But, do you know what my pains mean to me now? That I'm still alive, I can still feel... my brain is back and I can deal with the pain so much better. The fog and haze is gone and I can actually use my own mind to calm myself when I do feel pain. Our brains are wonderful and amazing things. This obviously was what worked for me, it may not work for you but I wanted to share because I'm frightened for young women that have to deal w/ these types of problems. I have a 13 year old daughter who has already been diagnosed w/ endometriosis and the doctors wanted to prescribe her pain killers. I would rather tuck her away w/ a heating pad and lots of Aleve than ever let her injest any type of narcotic. I will not let the cycle continue with my daughter (not that I really have too much control over what she'll do when she's older, but I'm not going to set her up now.) Maybe your being set up too... by doctors that don't really understand what they're doing. Maybe not. Only you know the real answer
and what works for you. I wish you luck, be honest... with yourself and your doctor.
Take care of yourself and keep us updated on your progress. jkm

Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

jkm1201 - Your reply is exactly what I was thinking..sometimes I think my brain in making it out to be worse than it really is. I know I'm not able to another narcotic and I don't want to. There is no way I'm starting over!!! I will do what I have to I guess to make it through.

Winnie

Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

MsMinn HB User

Wow, this is so like my situation I could have written alot of what JKM said.
I got prescribed ultram 3-4 years ago for endometriosis and subsequent pelvic pain/cramping. Got hooked on those. Just kicked them for the 2nd time in October 07. More recently, in Nov/Dec, got a script for vicodin and percosets from a new dr. Not a good idea...ate them like like they were the answer to a bad day (or not so bad.)

So, as you mention, this last time I tried Aleve, and taking it before the cramping began. Having it in my system prior to and keeping it at the same level seemed to really help the pain. Also, now that insurance covers birth control pills I am on a low dose for that very reason and it has also helped.
Funny how I am just now seeking real, practical solutions rather than the ones that got me high. I was amazed...I actually only had one very bad day..only 1/2 day really..this last time because I was consistent on taking 2 Aleve about every 6 hours. I know we're all different though...have a friend who has constant, daily pain and I don't think Aleve works for her.

Winnie, great job on getting off the hydros! I have been following your story and cheering you on from the sidelines.
Minn

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Hey thanks!!! I need all the support I can get right now. I'm also going to try a low dose of birth control to. I had surgery in July for endo and by Sept/Oct the pain was back again. I think I need to start a low dose of a birth control just to get my months staightened out again... it's so messed up I usually have it twice a month I hate it!!! But I absolutley refuse to do the lupron!! The wonderfull world of a women!!

Winnie

Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
(female)

MsMinn HB User

Oh yeah, the Lupron..ugh. I tried that years ago. Real fun to be put into insta-menopause! I suppose it helped temporarily (at the time my focus was trying to get pregnant) but the endo came back same as it did after my laparoscopy (2 of them). I just lived w/the pain for years till a dr gave me the ultram 4 or so years ago...had no idea what it would lead to!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

That's what my husband and I are trying for one more baby. Last time I got pregnant I was on the pill and came off.. and BAM I was pregnant. So hopefully this will work!!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
(female)

Lisa62 HB User

Ditto on the pelvic pain and my downward spiral. I had endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and the Doc kept writing me scripts until I finally had a hysterectomy. By that time, I was so into the pills, I just kept going. I am now 15 days clean and still have aches and pains but am popping Advil and taking long walks in hopes that it will all calm down. I was craving like nobody's business ALL weekend and it was semi-miserable. It is mainly at night, not sure why. Hang in there Winnie, I still am.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Hey Lisa good to hear from you!! Going on three weeks clean!! So your hanging in there to.... great job!! Sometimes it feels as if the days go by sooooooo slow...or is it just me? I know the cravings SUCK!!! but hopefully they will start to ease to after a while. It will get better...thats what I have to repet over and over. We will survive!!

You go girl!!!
Winnie

Closed Thread