It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

TakingItAllIn21 HB User
Info on coming off of OC's

My husband is coming off a 6 month binge of taking oc's. He has experienced vomiting, shakes, muscle pain and loose stools. Those Im not too concerned about, what does concern me, is that no matter how hard he tries he cannot go to sleep. Maybe a hour here or 15 minutes there but thats it. He is going on 3 days. All of his other symptoms have subsided, he is just EXHAUSTED. I didnt know whether or not to give him a sleeping pill (last resort). Any suggestions, and is this a normal withdrawl symptom?

Thanks to all in advance

Last edited by TakingItAllIn21; 01-23-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User
Re: Info on coming off of OC's

Yes, sleepless night are extremely common, and withdrawls from OC peak at day 3. A sleep aid may help some, especially a prescription type, as well as Advil every 4 hours and Immodium AD for a few days. Hot bathes and leg stetches and massaging at bedtime will help. Normal sleep will return in a few weeks. He should start getting some 4-6 hour nights very soon.

Depending how heavy his use was during his binge, he will probably be depressed, grumpy and unmotivated for at least a few weeks while his brain re-wires itself.

Be patient with him, but watch him like a hawk, because his body is going to crave relief desperately. The best thing he could do is to start exercising, even if it starts with walking around the block, and to get some counceling to get to the root of this all.

Was this his 1st binge or a relapse from prior use? The rate of relapse for opiates is extremely high, which is why I recommend the counceling.

Best regards to you both...It's a hard thing to understand if you haven't experineced it, but he will need all the support you can give him....and as I said, watch him closely for signs of odd behavior, like suddenly feeling fine, or suddenly sleeping great, whcih may indicate he is using again.

mano

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
(female)

TakingItAllIn21 HB User
Re: Info on coming off of OC's

Thanks Mano
He was doing about 300/mg per day of the oc's. His withdrawl or his binges has never lasted as long as this one did. I honestly believe he is ready for help. In the 7 years Ive been with him, this relapse seems to have gotten the best of him. He started counseling on Monday and will meet with a psycologist next week to start his anti depressent medication. He has a wonderful support system of family and friends. His best friend is a recovering alcoholic (clean 11 years) and a fitness nut so my husband is psyched about starting to go to the gym and even play mens baseball this season. And your right about not understanding the disease, I have never (thank god) had any type of addiction so at first I was angry, that is until I came to the understanding is that this is a disease, and we should treat it the same as if he got a diagnosis of cancer (ie..treatment plan...) So Im here, ready willing and able to help him on this long path of recovery. I love him very much and cant wait for him to be whole again.

btw.. what you guys do here is a great thing. glad I found you

Closed Thread