It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
(female)

eric's ma HB User
One Year!!!

Hello,
Surprise, this is Eric. I waited till my mom went to bed so I could surprise her with this tomorrow when she gets on. It is 12:10 am here. I have made it one year. One year ago I was in a black hole I never thought I would get out of. What a diffrence a year can make.
I have a wonderful job,I am going to go back to school,(Mom I decided to do it). I am engaged to be married, haven't set the date yet. We want to have all our finances and schooling behind us. LIFE IS GREAT.
There are so many things going through my mind to tell you all but I am just not good at putting my thoughts into words(Yes mom I am working on it) Private joke.
I just want to tell everyone out there with a loved one in trouble with addiction that there is hope. I also want to thank this board, I have spent many an hour reading and rereading threads that have been so much help to me.
There is one person that has helped me so much with her words of wisdom, at times I thought my mom was talking to her with out me knowing it.She would start a thread or reply to a thread and bingo it would be excactly what I needed to hear. I am speaking of you Reach. You have really been an inspiration to me. Thank you so much.
I need to tell you that I have to have the neatest mom in the whole world. She stuck to me like super glue. I can never express my feelings for my family. They are my rock. I really put them in hell for awhile there.
For all those who are struggling to make it, Please hang in there. Man it is so worth it. I look forward to opening my eyes each and everyday. Don't get me wrong I still have all the little horrors of life to deal with but I can deal with them now.
Well I had better end this, ( before I get caught doing this). My mom is gonna freak when she sees this. Good Luck everyone. THIS BOARD ROCKS!

Eric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: One Year!!!

Oh Eric

Buddy. Young Friend.

Oh, Brother, I can hardly gather my thoughts together here. If my reaction here is even a fraction of what your Mom's is going to be, then I suggest you get the smelling salts ready when she sits down at the computer. I am mega weepy here at the moment, so I think I will just sit back for a few and savor the happiness and let the tears flow a bit.

Today is a magnificent milestone day of so many things for you, Eric. So many things to celebrate today! That black hole of living in addiction is behind you. With perserverance and determination, you endured the painful process of withdrawal and accepted help to make changes to your life that will insure that hope always will be a part of you. As your Mom chronicled all the events of your 'year of restoration,' I knew that, like happened to me, more growth was taking place in your mind and soul in that one year than all your other years combined. What a year of revelation it can be when we accept and embrace that there is so much more to life than hiding in drugs, huh?

Well-deserved happiness and good things surround you now, the result of hard work and hope. A good job, a bride-to-be, enrolling in school (wowsers!)
This is life as it is meant to be. Always keep it in your grasp, Eric. Hold on to it tight. Hold on to all then wonderful, healthy relationships that are yours now. That black hole is behind you; looking forward there is a life of fulfillment stretching out for you. It really is a day to celebrate, a real milestone day for sure.

Today you have shared such a message of hope. It is a fitting way to celebrate the day. I am truly honored to have been a part of "Eric's Story." Truly honored. Your hope renews mine. The circle continues.

With much love
reach

Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

Congratulations Eric....you sound wonderful and are lucky to have such a wonderful caring Mom. That was a beautiful post...thank you for sharing and may you have a long happy life. 1 year rocks!! You should celebrate this occasion....you certainly deserve too and it's a huge milestone!!

mano

Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

eric's ma HB User

Eric

You are so in trouble,I have been attempting to post a reply for over an hour now and the tears just won't quit falling. I could hardly believe my eyes when I logged on and there was a thread from me. It slowly began to dawn on me ERIC!!
I am so very proud of you son. This year has had its ups and downs. More ups than downs. You have become the son that we always knew you were capable of becoming. I have watched you struggle to do the right thing at times, it was so hard to just stand back and watch you. It was like we just wanted to do it for you but knew that you had to do it.
Words cannot express my graditude to this board and all the numerous people who have helped and didn't even know it. You Reach, Eric is right (he did accuse me of talking to you about him lol), You have a gift of expression.
Oh by the way Eric we have arranged for you to have Monday off, we are taking the family away for the weekend to an indoor water park. Ha got you too.
I am just so full of love for you son. You have become my hero. You are such a joy as a son, brother and uncle. We take everyday we have with you now as a blessing. Don't get me wrong son we always loved you this much it is just so much easier to do now. I am still in awe that you finally posted!
Hey E, your dad wants me to tell you he has something for you, we are not going to say anything until you read this.
Lov Ya Ma and Pa

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hello Eric and Eric's Ma

I have been reading your posts for some time now - haven't written anything to you - just followed along with your story.

I am SO happy for you. You should be very proud of yourself. I am still tapering from my addiction (Oxycontin and percocets), and it warms my heart to read about your success.

I appreciate you and your mom - writing to us all, and involving us in your recovery I was very pessimistic regarding my own recovery (never thought I could do it) however, you've given me strength and hope that I will do this!!

Congratulations on ONE YEAR!!! I wish you all the best. Good luck planning your wedding, I hope everything works out wonderfully for you and your future wife

Love and hugs,
emsmom

Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

wow - what a really nice thread. well done eric - well done erics ma and a big thanks to reach for the ongoing support.

keep it up eric - you've done an amzing thing - you should be very proud of yourself

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

Eric:

You had all of the right tools: the boards, na, aa, a good doc, caring family... But the trophy, my friend, the one that looks like a man is holding the world in his hand, is yours. It was your choice to come clean, and you triumphed. YOU are a hero, friend. You have beat the odds. Good job!

God bless you in your recovery!!!

mk

Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
(female)

eric's ma HB User

Hi
Thanks for all the kind words. They mean a lot. I am just on top of the world today. I knew my mom would freak when she got on today. I am going away with my family this weekend, just one year ago this would not have been possible because it would have been to hard to hide being messed up the whole time. Feels great to know I can go away and not freak out wondering if I have enough stuff to last. Oh Joy not to have that monkey on my back!
Well, that mother of mine has made us all something special for dessert and it is ready, To all you who are still struggling please hang in there it does and will get better. It is such a great relief to be better than whole again. I have such blessings in my life. All of you can and will get here with hard work,determination and faith.
In faith all things are possible
Ma's Kid Eric

Closed Thread