It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
Good Ol Days ( kinda off topic but related )

I remember when you could go to a pharmacy and sign for robitussion AC ( Robitussin with Codeine ). my mother even kept a bottle of Paregoric in the kitchen cabinet ). I don't even think the US even SELLS Paregoric even with a script. ??
I write this because I noticed today at local Walgreens that the allergy medicine Zyrtec is now available OTC. It seems thay are making SOME medicines available OTC but are taking others away.
Cold Medicines now have to be signed for because of the Meth issue. Cough Medicine with Codeine now has to have RX ( Robitussin AC ). It seem responsible people with legit issues are suffering because of the bad deeds of others.
Just wanted to mention this. Thanks for letting me "vent"

Last edited by 2young2hurt; 01-24-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ilovejoaquim HB User
Re: Good Ol Days ( kinda off topic but related )

people like us?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

Most of the drugs that are now Schedule II classified drugs are by script only. They used to be available from a pharmacist just by asking and were even often touted as good for the bowels, nerves, skin conditions, etc.

Thank God that they are now scheduled by federal regulations. I think many parents on this board would echo my sentiments.... we may not be able to stop young people from getting drugs illegally, but it sure is harder than just walking into a pharmacy and buying a product off the shelf that can easily destroy lives.

When we read about the social culture of our country over the years 1900 or so on, there were many, many deaths contributed to narcotics. The Roaring 20's is a good example.

To me, the classification and imposing of a needed RX for opates is a common sense deal. If we are sick enough with a cough to ned codeine, then we are sick enough to see a doctor who will prescibe it is necessary.

Just my thoughts.

reach

Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The insurance companies spend millions on lobbying congress to push many of the "maintenance" drugs (like Zyrtec) over the counter. They don't want to pay reimbursement for years and years, so when they go OTC, they get off their books! Rascals!

Closed Thread