It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
Percocet "PERKS ME UP "

I am prescribed percocet for legitimate pain and I admit I have taken it for the energy boost it gives me. I know my body is dependent on it and that is different than addiction. My problem is that percocet will give me the "high" Euphoric feeling and that I do abuse it in this manner. What is the safest was to "come down" so that I can sleep ? I do not want to ask for Xanax or anything else along those lines. I have thought about Benadryl or even Dramamine but after Heath Ledger's death am worried about mixing things. My Doctor did give me some samples of Ambien CR but I don't want to become dependent on those either ? Any advice or suggestions welcomed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

redrockrag HB User
Re: Percocet "PERKS ME UP "

Try and stop using the percocet earlier in the day and use over the counter stuff closer to bed time. I never liked perocet and could never take it for pain after 3:00 in the afternoon and get any sleep. That may not work for you but you could try that instead of more drugs. Valerian Root, Melatonin, warm milk, sleepy time tea, and/or protein of some kind also help some people get sleepy. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

I have tried valerian root and melantonin.. no good. But I think I will get some of that sleepy time tea as well as Cammomile tea. I have heard that works great.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
(male)

fitz31 HB User
Cool Re: Percocet "PERKS ME UP "

2young2hurt,What? Did you read what you wrote. Abuse and dependent but you don`t consider yourself an addict................I might be missing something here so fill me in if I did. Bottom line, either a life-long addiction or or find another way. Why are you concerned about taking sleep aids like ambien cr though not worried about overdosing on painkillers?I think you need to step back and take a long look at yourself and decide what and who you are, the boards are for addicts and if you don`t consider yourself an addict then perhaps there is another topic you can address on some other board.I am telling you what so many people won`t...peace.fitz."doin whats gotta get done"

Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Ok this is what I think if you are taking them for other purposes such as a "high" then you probably are addicted to them. Yes dependancy and addiction are two seperate things but if you take them for the boost and like the high you are probably becoming addicted. I agree that you need to not take them close to bedtime. I would speak to your doctor and tell him your side effect of not being able to sleep and maybe he can perscribe something safe.

Winnie

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Young

I am prescribed percocet for legitimate pain and I admit I have taken it for the energy boost it gives me. I know my body is dependent on it and that is different than addiction

Young, in all kindness, the first time we take a pain pill for other than its prescribed use, we are crossing the line into abuse and addiction. Percocet is never prescribed for an energy boost... that is a self-medicating use of it prescribed by our very own selves and not a doctor.

Please, step back and reread your own words with an objective eye. In my honest opinion, you are treading on some dangerous ground here.

reach

Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
(male)

lnhguy HB User

that is were it may begin.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

As a general rule, over the counter antihistamines work well for SHORT TERM sleep. Be sure to take the suggested amount, which is no more than 1-2 pills. I'd be very careful with any kind of Rx sleeping aid. Ambian is some pretty powerful stuff. Plus, any type of Rx will more than likely turn into one more dependency issue down the road somewhere.

You may also want to take a look at your overall diet. Many people don't realize the caffeine and/or sugar they take in late in the day. There are many, many culprits in this area, especially desserts. The meds may just be putting you over the edge that you were close to already. Also, the other poster's idea of not taking late in the day is a good recommendation. The med should move through your system rather quickly. The half life (where half of the med is gone) of oxy is 5 hours.

Good luck.

Last edited by Executor; 01-25-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spell

Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
(male)

JCS HB User

I hate to say it but you are addicted to the percocets, if you are talking more then you should..............That was my D.O.C. and will get a hold of you so fast you won't know what hit you

I took them for pain and also liked the way made me feel and " perked me up "
they were great

but remember this there are 3 steps while on perks

1.............alot of fun

2............fun with problems

3.............addicted.... with only problems and don't know what to do

I wish you all the luck in the world

P.s. I am clean off of them for 3 years .......please get help

Last edited by JCS; 01-26-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
(male)

JCS HB User

Young,

How are you doing?...............we have not heard a reply from you

No one here is trying to scare you, we are just trying to help

So please let us know how you are doing

We will be waiting

Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

I am doing fine. I am forcing myself to take as needed and NOT get to the total abuse of what I have. I basically have an open script--go to Dr and get a RX for 120 7.5 mg every month or two but I am pacing myself. I recognized the danger signs. Funny thing is. when I talked to my Doctor about my concerns about how much I was taking he said my next stop would be the Oxycontin. I told him NO WAY would I do that.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
(male)

fitz31 HB User

2young2hurt, Get yourself a different doctor! WORD......fitz.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Just because you abused a few pills you are not nessaserily an addict (but you could be.) People at time go through periods of heavy drinking and then they get a new hobbie.

Continue to be you need a counselor also etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

Thanks Blast for not making me feel like and addict. i have an open relationship with my Dr. which is why I was able to DENY the Oxycontin. Most people would have jumped on that idea. We have decided on a different regime. I am to stay on the 7.5 mg for right now ( no increase to 10 mg ) and supplement with RX Naproxen. I can't handle the Cymbalta. If at any time he thinks with the Naproxen I am still taking too much Perc we will do a taper to a wean since i won't use the Oxycontin. So far , the past few days, I have only take 2 percs a day and one day I did need 2 and 1/2 since I got too busy outside. Glad there are people here who understand.

Last edited by 2young2hurt; 02-05-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

The addict in me would love to have a doctor like yours...

Addiction seems like such a dirty word...images of a heroin junkie living under a bridge come into my mind. What it really is, imho, is a genetic induced demon, unfettered, out of control, living inside you and telling you comforting lies about your drug of choice.

You know, I used to binge drink alcohol and gave it up for a new hobby...pills. They were prescribed for legitimate pain and I exercised control for a while. It wasn't long after I started taking them to experience euphoria that it became too big for me to control. It was like weeds in a lawn--if they weren't extracted, they killed the grass.

Good luck 2young2hurt on your journey. I hope you find truth and understanding with your "problem."

mk

Closed Thread