It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
have to take naltrexone and scared to death.. any help?

Hello everyone. I am in the medical profession and am now going back to work after being ill for a long time. I am required to start naltrexone in order for me to work around narcotics. I have medically cleared to take it. But I tell you I am scared to death of it. I have intermittent bouts of severe abdominal pain mostly due to pancreatitis. What will happen if I get a flare up of this and I am in need of something for pain control??? Will they be able to treat me?? I am so scared that something is going to happen and they wont be able to get me pain controlled. Any help??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
Re: have to take naltrexone and scared to death.. any help?

Hey Sam,

I'm just curious - why do you "have" to take naltrexone?

I hope it all works out for you.

Good luck,
hugs,
emsmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

in order to practice in the field around narcotics i am required by the state to take it. Its either that or be restricted on administering narcotics which is almost impossible in my field.

Last edited by sam78; 01-24-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

I assume this is because you abused pills in the past? If that is the case perhaps you should look for a new line of work. If it's oral naltrexone you asre required to take and not an implant, it would be just like people on suboxone. If an emergency comes along, you stop taking it and take opiates....they can over ride the naltrexone with enough opiates if need be....unfortunately, so could you.

I've known a few people in your shoes, and the ones I have known have relapsed once working around meds again on a daily basis. Personally, I think it's too much temptation.

mano

Closed Thread