It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ilovejoaquim HB User
can your loved ones tell when you take a pill?

how does ur loved ones know that you took a pill?

my man knows if i took a pill or not when i get real snappy with him or if i get really loud or anxious with him. He always knows.

My mom knows if I took a pill when I get really hyper and talk alot.

Thought this would be a good thread.....

Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
(male)

bktobmore HB User
Re: can your loved ones tell when you take a pill?

Yeah there is no doubt that people can tell your on drugs lol, I used to think it was not noticeable when I did dope and was in a nod in front of my mother trying to tell her I'm not high I'm just normal lol, especially with opiates you get really mad/cocky/arrogant/******* like and I'm pretty sure those are the kind of pills you are taking by the sounds of it, anyway lots of people can tell your on drugs unless they are just completely clueless to anything of that nature, some drugs more then others lol like in my case when I was younger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
(female)

cincin5000 HB User

I can tell when my husband takes pills. When he takes an opiate, his pupils are pinpoint. When he takes xanax, he slurs certain words and is completely irrational.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Oh My God...so True!!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
(male)

Lewt HB User

my cats used to know when i used on summit just from looking, others learnt my moods so could see when i was about to pick up. drugs change us weather we feel they do or not... i mean its why we take them aint it.....

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

It's crazy.... When I informed a past boss that I was using pain meds, he said, "wow, that makes sense...because I was wondering where you came up with stuff sometimes".... And all the while, I thought I was kidding everybody.

Damn pills.

tat*

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
(female)

mandypaige24 HB User

We can tell, even if we don't want to see it, we do. It sucks...I feel for your family.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
(male)

shaman316 HB User

bktobmore... ty for the post, man. My girlfriend and I parted about six months ago and she was the love of my life. She was in a car accident about 4 years ago and things gradually got 'strange' afterwards. I'm an ex-Chemical Dependency counselor and know meth, cocaine, marijuana, etc., but I was ignorant of a pain pill addiction... attributed it to the stressors of life we'd endured. She blamed me because we weren't married yet, but my inner voice told me something wasn't right. I discovered lots of empty pill bottles, white powedery residue where it shouldn't be, etc. since she moved out... which is congruent with constipation, NO sex drive, constantly "I'm tired I don't feel good.", changing docs, NUMEROUS physical ailments (only some of which, like severe constipation, she'd see an MD for), couldn't explain money, and ALWAYS taking sinus/allergy medication, or benadryl... and I'm only giving you a short-list of the symptoms present... looking back, the watery glassy eyes, respiratory distress (and she's a respiratory therapist), cut-up pixie stick straws with the 'clipped' end cut off... man, did I miss this one. It's not my first rodeo as my brother is an addict in recovery and my son had 'issues' with substance abuse, namely pills.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks because I never saw her take a handful of Lortab/Hydrocodone and swallow them... very secretive about running errands, text messaging I later discovered (evidently, she's a pro)... yada, yada, yada. Point being, I recognize the behavioral signs of addiction. However, you pinpointed the attitude I experienced with her as, "cocky, arrogant, and indifferent."

She has denied a problem and has seemed to have had an 'underreaction' when confronted though she has asked questions that seem probing as to what I really know. Her last statement to me was, "Well, you never considered I had $150,000 worth of medical bills to pay from the wreck." And after I stated, "You NEVER told me that.", she stated, "Well, you never asked." Anyway, I know it's addiction because the force is strong in this one... been there, done that. After all, I NEVER saw my brother or son use... but I knew. I was just not prepared for what I discovered and want to thank you for articulating the attitude I experienced. It's one thing to teach professionally as I did, but another to live the experience and have educated myself in regards to opiate addiction.

I'm now a grateful member of Al-Anon and though I already knew it intellectually... my heart painfully understands there's nothing I can do until she's ready... "Live and Let Live", but don't forget your prayers. I'm living proof of powerlessness over the disease despite my VERY BEST efforts. The experience, strength, and hope I've experienced in my own recovery has often been in the form of affirmation... so thank you for sharing your recovery with me. Although I place no expectations upon her, thank you for the hope your recovery offers to loved ones. Like my brother now says since he's in recovery, "I knew I wasn't living right and hurt those that loved me... unfortunately, they didn't get to pick my time or my bottom to spare them the pain I caused."

Many, many blessings to those who live with or without active addiction... you are not alone and it does get better in seeking our own recovery and freedom from the effects of the disease.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
(female)

logalind HB User

what a beautiful post shaman. that is very true, but right now I can't see the forrest for the trees. I am going to keep trudging for today. Please keep me in your prayers.

Thanks,
Lori

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
(male)

shaman316 HB User

Lori,

I will remember you in prayer. Sometimes, whether in active addiction or as loved ones of addicts, all we have is prayer. "Came to believe a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.", and, "Turned our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood Him." Once we admit our powerlessness, even as loved ones, we open the door to change and can allow a higher power into our lives.

Many blessings all.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

As a general rule, the "eyes" always tell the story. Bloodshot, droopy, bags.... you get the idea. The eyes always are are give away for a drunk or drug addict, regardless of how normal their behavior is or seems.

Closed Thread