It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
(male)

bass11 HB User
ok new thread(forget cold turkey) any advice oxy withdrawls

well cant beleive i got myself in this position I have read alot of post here and now alot of you have come clean off of oxys or any narcotic for that matter doc says go to a slow taper . I went from taking about 7-10 percs a day at 10mg a piece to only 3-4 a day, in a week. and im going crazy seems like my body doesnt feel good either way even after i take about 15 mgs. I still have pain to thats the kicker , but how bad is it I dont know I heard your body can actually fool you into thinking your in pain, is this true? well anyways am I tapering to fast ? I have enough pills to go long term but need to work also any advice would be gerat and I will consult my addiction doc monday at 9 am.. please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALSO can a person get opiate seizures from withdrawl?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: ok new thread(forget cold turkey) any advice oxy withdrawls

Hey Bass

Well, that was a pretty drastic cut in your dosage in just a week. While maybe not in full withdrawal, I would imagine it is a pretty rough time. If you are going to do a slow taper, keep each cut at about 10% or so. Cut, level out and then cut again. The cuts will keep getting smaller as you move along to stay around that 10% mark. Make a cut every week to ten days or so. Don't get anxious and rush it. A couple of times, I had to wait it out for almost 3 weeks to level out and then get started again. One of my biggest rules of thumb tapering from opiate was once a cut was made, it stayed made. No going back. Some cuts were easier than others.... I don't know why, but that is how it was.

The pain... yes, there is exaggerated pain as we come off opiates. The initial site of your pain will hurt more and pain will show up in other areas as well. The calves can ache like the dickens, the back can hurt and headaches are common. I had a persistent headache throughout the tapering. It is an aggravation, but just part of the whole process of coming off.

The brain sends out 'search parties' looking for any remnants of opiate thoughout the body trying to get the supply it is used to being given. As we are tapering off the opiates, the brain is tapering back on to producing the needed chemicals on its own again. That is why the slower the better. The body and brain have wonderous abilities to heal themselves, but it takes time. Stick with the board as you progress.

Seizures.... they are not a concern with opiates as they are with benzos. Oh, sometimes it feels like we are croaking on an opiate taper, but we don't. Smiles.

Bass, take a deep breath. Try and address withdrawal as a practical measure. If you get fearful or anxiety-ridden along the way, come post it out. It is a trying time for sure, but doable. You are going to be okay, Friend.

reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
(male)

bass11 HB User

thanks REACH for the words of encouragement, its midnight here after ther super bowl , and cant get to sleep , i guess withdrawls . today i took 4 and1/2 10-325 today all about 6 hours apart and it was pretty bad I think I will stay on this dose till I level out if I even level out at all, dont know what to expect. thanks again

Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Bass

How ya doing, Buddy?

reach

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
(male)

bass11 HB User

hanging in there
thanks for asking today I took my first pills at noon after getting up at 7 am. The pills make me feel a liitle light headed and dizzy never did that before....? giong to try and only take my next dose (1 and a 1/2 tabs 15mgs) at 9 or 10 pm and a ambien around 11pm tonight hopefully be asleep by midnight
wish me luck!
I know IM changing my dose again , but I felt good without any pills untill withdrawl kicked in ...I took my last pill at 10 pm last night and made it till noon the next day is that good?

Last edited by bass11; 02-04-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Bass~~

I would say you are doing really well! If you have already been able to space the dosages this far apart then hurray! If you can stick to this, then you are doing great. It sure took me a lot longer to get to only two dosages a day.

I think the lightheadedness is actually the pills working on you. You are taking so much less that they are having a more [profound impact when you do ingest them. Years ago, when I was on was first put on Percocet after a major, major surgery, two tabs would knock me out for at least two hours. Out, like a light. That effect became less and less and by the time I had built enough tolerance years later, 4 Percocet tabs was barely noticable to me. I worked with them and functioned. I was switched to Oxycodone then because of the Tylenol factor. Now, after being clean for a while, I think 1 Percocoet would probably have a big effect on me.

Stay strong, Bass. What kind of symptoms are you having? Diarreha? Shakes? Anxiety? Increased pain? Oh, maybe it will not be too bad for you! There are some who have an easier time than others. I hopr you are one!

with hope
reach

Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
(male)

bass11 HB User

Hey reach I would say all of the above name the symptom I got it, anxiety is the worse and restlessness then the lack of sleep doesnt help ..,cant seem to cocentrate on one thing. well ITS 6pm and only taken one dose and that was at noon i think i can make to 10pm tonight will keep you posted.
just trying to stay busy. I did go about 30hrs5 days ago without a pill and it was horrible and i got scared and tried to check myself into a rehab they said I could do it on my own so here i am of course as soon as i was walking out I took 2 tabs of 10-325s and on my way.
oh my appetite has gone to . well maybe IM not as bad as i think, 11months on oxy is pretty long though..............................

Old 02-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
(male)

acaptainn HB User

keep up the good work an dont be surprised or upset if you start crying an dont know why,for me thats part of w/d ,something else i havent heard mentioned here is problems reading or focusing your eyes bth myself an my wife have had that.

We are both detoxing ourselves right now.Just so you know you arent alone.

Her metabolism seems to run faster than mine, all her symptoms started and ended sooner than myself. Were about outta percs now so in the next coupla days itll be cold turkey.But we did wean down.. tho not as slowly as we shoulda.

Just a thought do you have someone who can hold and dispense your pills for you. I HAVE A HARD TIME not touching them when there available to me.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !

p.s N/A is also a good idea

Last edited by acaptainn; 02-04-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
(male)

bass11 HB User

hey acap,
your exacyly right I find it very hard to focus on reading. my eyes seem to be in blur vision. I bought some visine today didnt help much. well made it to 10pm yeah feel awfull though. Is the blurred vision normal even after taking a dose and how long does it last been like this for about 5-6 days, it slowly crept up on me.. yeah my wife has my pills and I just ask for them and tell her what im planning mainly so I dont go backwards and slip, shell give me the pills if I really beg. thanks guys and gals here for all your responses it really does help. hopely I can return the favor to someone down the road. BASS

Last edited by bass11; 02-04-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Bass, it dosent take long for the blurring to go away ,my eyes also run at times tho my wife,s dried out, it seems to be a bit different for evryone.

Im also glad too hear ur wife is helping thats GREATTT ! Another thing is very dark depression hopefully u wont get it but if you do know that it will go away.A few words from n/a that also applies to this board. ..Let us love you until you can love yourself..its very common to despise an loath urself for a time. But you are doing the right thing now ! let the old you go and concentrate on the NEW you.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Guys

You know, the eye thing... i had forgotten about that until I read it here again. Yes, I noticed the same. I especially noticed it if I tried to drive. Blurry. I actually noticed it more as I neared the end of tapering and for a month or two afterwards. It did clear up totally.

Another weird one.... I noticed in the beginning of my tapers that my body was trying to yawn when tired, but could not complete the yawn. It made me crazy. I realized I had not yawned for years. Depressed respiration, I guess. The less and less I took of the opiate, the more the yawns came. Finally I was able to complete a yawn. I took it as a sign of progress. ah! bless the yawns. Chuckles.

To Bass... the anxiety is a huge hurdle to overcome. The nerves are raw. Please understand that it is all just a part of the process of getting better again. I know it can be horrible, but push hard to distract yourself when it hits. Recognize when it lets up a bit for spells and cling to that as a preview of life without the anxiety around the corner.

To acaptainn... hurrray for you and Wife in detoxing! It is difficult... one of the hardest things I have ever endured.... but once it is over, life is good. Happiness comes back, laughter comes back, enjoying thoroughly that we are alive comes back. Stay strong.

Hugs
reach

Old 02-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
(male)

bass11 HB User

hey guys , thanks for the info on the eyes , well I didnt get to leep till 2 am last night and woke up at about 6 or so ,got some sleep anyway ..............after I took my dose last night it made me kind of percky
well I made it to my next dose wich will be in 20 mins, man cant beleive im counting the minutes ,anxiety and jitteryness is upon me, blurryness is mostly gone but probally will come back after taking a dose. will keep everyone informed. thanks for all the support , hope to stay on this taking 2 doses in 24 hours for about a week...
hey acap thanks for sharing and good luck to you and your wife ,
soon this will be all over soon my frinds

Last edited by bass11; 02-05-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Yea the yawns are common , as well as leg/calf pain mostly at night which makes it very hard to get sleep for me, Quinine helps a LOT with that.I dont remember you ( BASS ) saying uve had that. Continue the good work bud,i an my wife are with ya !

Last edited by acaptainn; 02-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
(male)

bass11 HB User

well im still on track,
another symptom im having is my taste buds seem to taste food alot different. Foods and resturants ive eaten at are different. MY periphial vision seems to be more keen picking up alot of thing around me even though I have blurred vision, still have extreme anxiety and cant sleep to well restlessness drives me crazy. im still on my doses of 15mgs of oxy every 12 or so hours. a week ago I was taking 40mgs of oxycontin and 8 or so percs at 10mgs apiece in less than a day. So I think im doing pretty good if I can stick to this and stable out , or do you ever stable when weaning?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Stable ? yes if you stay at one level of decrease for sometime im thinkin a month or so, I have to settle for not as bad as it could be due to not havin enuff to do it that way.Plus im workin evryday, taking off isnt an option as i was just out for surgery last month and my wife had surgery in oct. that had her outta work for 6 weeks. Financial realities SUCK.

Closed Thread