It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
CDC report an eye-popper to me.....

Hi Guys

I was just reading a national magazine and an article really caught my attention. It concerned a report from the Center for Disease control and Prevention after completeing a study....

The results of the study indicate that more of us, as Americans, have been dying since 1999 from prescription drug abuse than street drug abuse. We are dying from abusing painkillers, sleeping pills and antidepressants tahn we are from cocaine and heroin.

Geeze, I knew it was a problem ( finger pointed at self here), but the magnitude of it did make my eyes pop open wide and my jaw fall slack. Maybe we have been so busy going after the street addicts that we have ignored those of us who abuse in the luxury of our homes. I don't feel any difference between myself and the guy using on the street except that I was able to maintain a legal supply and looked legitimate on the surface.

It is good that the court system has mandated drug rehab programs for those that het caught on the streets. However, I am thinking that as a country, we better start thinking about free programs for those of us who "legitimately abuse" and need help.

I had many things in place to help me.... insurance, resources, an address. What about those with no insurance, no support? I know this has been a problem for some on this board. To read now, though, the death rate and statistics has just really brought it to the forefront of my mind.

If you are a "legitimate abuser" as I was, please, please take a long and hard look at your prescription use. It truly can be an ultimate difference between life and death.

reach

Last edited by reachout; 02-05-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
(male)

bass11 HB User
Re: CDC report an eye-popper to me.....

hey reach, your right did you see the superbowl commercial about perscription drugs ,, I have a 14 yr old daughter thats tells me its all over her school and shes in the 8th grade. most of theses young kids get them from there own parents by stealing. i for one have had my scripts laying around for easy access, thank GOD my kids are pretty well informed and dont think they would touch that stuff. YES these narcotics are are to available . I for one wish my GP didnt prescribed them to me at all .
AND DEFINETLY there should be somekind of free treatment for people who legitmitely use and get hooked ( like me)

Closed Thread