It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

silentmayhem HB User
Hi, I'm an addict. Drug of choice Vicodin.

Hello all. I'm new here. I have a problem with hydrocodone. I hate that I ever took the first pill. Now it's all about quitting. I've read through many of the posts and I've started the reduction method. I'm going to start cutting them in 1/4s and hopefully be done for good in about six weeks.

A little about me: I'm a husband, father, and a professional. The irony is that I'm a lawyer and I was recently working on a case in which I had to prosecute a women for forging prescriptions for pain killers. Great, huh?

I hope to find support here. My wife knows nothing of my addiction...or maybe she does and doens't want to say anything. At any rate, I got myself into this and I should be the one to get myself out. Thanks for reading this. Hope all are having a great day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bajaboats HB User
Re: Hi, I'm an addict. Drug of choice Vicodin.

Hello Silent,

I too am new here and have spent many hours over the last couple of days reading these posts. Big help. You can do it!!

Today is ZERO DAY for me!

I would like to tell you my story, maybe it will help.

My choice of the magic pill was also Hydro (3+ yrs). Started with injuries and scripts then kept getting worse as far a dosage. I got to maybe 10 - 10/325 / day at the max. I always tried to do no more than four per day fooling myself by thinking "the Doc said never take more than four" Yeah right! If you know what I mean. Always had a supply so no probs.

Well I made the big mistake to switching to Oxy about 6 months ago. Cheaper and worked better. Big Mistake. Made things worse.

NOW I am doing a rapid detox off Oxy and having quite a bit of trouble. I think the worst is past now. I have gone from 80 to 120mg per day down to 5mg per day in about 2 weeks time. I am very pig headed and refuse to let myself slip back.
This has been hell and I feel trapped.
A dear friend of mine told me that there is a road into hell and there is also a road out.
I get choked up every time I think of it.

Doc has given me MILD doses of Xanax and Librium to help but the depression and anxiety they are still there. Not to mention all the other problems mentioned in this board.

I decided to DO IT today!. ZERO DAY!
I had been taking my 5mg at around 7AM each morning and that only lasted a bit.
I feel pretty good this morning compared to some of my past mornings and I KNOW I can do this today!

It is after 10:30AM and my little piece of magic still sits in it's usual spot untaken. I think I'm more afraid of not having any in my system might make me freak. Then I think again and I have pretty much already done that ;-)

The vision is getting better. I am able to read much easier but driving is still tough.

Sleeping is a real bummer still. I got 4 hrs last night and that more than i've had in a while. I think maybe since I have decided that today is the day it may have helped?

I had actually planned on totally quitting by last weekend but decided to take it a little slower. I don't know if that just prolonged my agony or helped ease the pain.

A good hot shower does wonders!!

You will be fine Silent, I have not had much fun over the last 3 weeks but it is getting better. This board is excellent.

A special thanks to everyone here.
If you haven't found the road out keep lookng, It is there :-)

Baja.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
(female)

harleybiker24 HB User
Wink Re: Hi, I'm an addict. Drug of choice Vicodin.

Hi
I am on day 21 free of norcos. I feel great. I had been using for 6 years, I have had several spine surgeries. I dont care what profession someone is it can happen to anyone. The key is "Are you sick and tired of feeling the way you do"? Then the rest might not be easy but you can do it. My husband knew but not really, I explained alot to him and told him I needed his support. He agreed. I quit first for me then my family. I just wanted to be me again. It can be done. Then when all the crap is out of your system, your mind gets back to normal!!!!! Hang in there it is so worth it!!!

Last edited by harleybiker24; 02-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hey Baja--- Great job! Did you decide to do the quick taper yourself, or did you Doc recommend? Also, does the Xanax help with the anxiety and/or blood pressure. Those I've talked to said the worst part for them was during WD, their heart would race and felt that their BP went through the roof.

Keep up the good work. The sleep will return slowly....very slowly. Opiates disrupt your sleep cycle and your bio rhythms.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bajaboats HB User

Hello Executor,
Welcome and thanks.
The quick taper was my Idea.
I did lots of reading on the net about percentage cuts and level off times but I always heard that I was going to suffer no matter what. It was not going to be easy.

Like a typical American, when I want something, I want it now. Not to mention I am very stubborn I've been told :-) so I went with the quick taper.
Trust me, OUCH!
But worth it. I will never forget how I have felt over the last few weeks and I believe this will keep me clean.
Trust me, The next time I get High I'm getting on an airplane.

Oh, The Xanax. Now Doc was really reluctant and I only am allowed .25mg tab 3 times a day. He will only give me 30 and no refills. He knows I could trade one problem for another.
I think it has helped me personally. I also take Librium as directed by Doc. He says this will help level me off. I was bouncing off the walls. Panic attacks, the works.

He is the same with the Librium real small dose 10mg/day little quan. and no refills.

I really don't know if it made the anxiety less because I have never experienced W/D from Oxy before. Doc did say he was giving it to me for the blood pressure problems I was having. But remember, I'm Not a Doc..

When I got sober from the booze I just quit? cold turkey with antibuse (Doc again)
No problems (W/D) and I was a major drinker. High tolerance. Fifth a day was nothing for me seven years ago. I could do that by lunch.

Well the good news is I have been clean and sober for 49hrs. I fell better today than yesterday and my vision is also getting clearer.

One day at a time.

Peace.
Baja

WAVIN to harleybiker24 ! ! Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!!

Last edited by bajaboats; 02-08-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Great job.....Sounds like you've got a great Doc and a great plan. Keep us posted so others can learn.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

bajaboats HB User

Hey Silentmayhem,

How you doooo-inn?
Hope all is well..
Peace,
Baja

Closed Thread