It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
(male)

mikel94 HB User
I began suboxone treatment today...

Hey guys. Well, first of all im a 21 year old young man with endless opportunities and great health. But... I am addicted to opiods. Started off in highschool w/ a few vicodens on the weekends, fast forward 4 years and I'm an addict. My drug of choice is definately oxycontin. I loved snortin' the brand name OCs and was doing a good 4-5 80mgs a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less; really varied on my cash situation and if they were availabe. The withdrawls were so hard for me I was turning to black tar heroin if I couldn't get any pills; whatever I could get to stop the w/d. And I was messing up my relationships, was broke, and could never be relied upon. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. So one night I smoked some weed (Rarely smoke) and it made me start thinking; I took a step back and analyzed my life and realized my life has gone to sh--.

I've tried to stop several times but the w/ds are hard to handle. The abdominal pain is the worst, not to mention all the other symptoms, it was too much; so I always went back. So I did some research and decided to try suboxone treatment. So today I went in and they charged me $250.00 just to see the doc. They don't take any insurance! And I have a really good PPO; what a waste. Then I go to the pharmacy and pay $140 for 25 suboxones! So yeah, it's expensive lol. But honestly it's nothin compared to what I'd spend on drugs on the street. I hope it works tho for the price.

Anyways, my first impressions of the drug are good. It does exactly what you want it to do; make you feel normal. Not high, but not cruddy from w/d. It's strange, I haven't felt "normal" like this in who knows how long. And it's been 14 hours since I took it and I feel as good as hour 1. The most appealing aspect is 1 pill a day and your good; it's a strange, but great, feeling not having my whole day be about getting high or finding pills. I just hope I don't trade one vice for another. Either way this is better than going cold turkey and relapsing everytime.

Any opinions on suboxone treatment? Advice? I just wanted to talk about my situation; it feels good to talk about it even over the net. I'll give a report on my progress in a few weeks. Maybe my experience quitting can help someone else.

Thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
(female)

kelly29 HB User
Re: I began suboxone treatment today...

Hello there. I, too, began Suboxone treatment yesterday. They started me on Subutex (8 mg) and the doctor told me to take it whenever I felt like I needed it. Well, after taking my first dose at the doctor's office (at 9am), I was good for the whole rest of the day! I didn't take my second dose until 6:30 p.m. and didn't even take the third daily dose at all!! This morning, I woke up easier than I normally do, and took my morning dose, and as of right now, I feel great! I did have a lot of nausea yesterday and even threw my guts up last night, but it was so worth it. I haven't felt "normal" in 6 years! It's so great. I go back next Friday so they can switch me from subutex to suboxone. I understand its the same thing but that suboxone has an additional ingredient that will prevent an overdose. Perfect for me!

Good luck to you, and keep posting on the boards, these folks are way helpful and full of supportive words. You can do it! I think the hardest step is admitting you have a problem and making that doctor appointment for treatment. You've done that already, so in my opinion you've already won half the battle. So, congratulations on a new start!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
(male)

mikel94 HB User

Thanks for your post kelly. Glad to hear someone else is on the same page. I have a question tho. Do you have insurance that covers any of the treatment? Whether it be the perscription, the doctor visit, or both? I dont understand why insurance companies wouldn't cover this.

Anyways im stilling doing well. Been trying to exercise and get outdoors, I feel exercise is a vital part of my recovery. I think it speeds up my bodies natural chemical production which I lost from taking opioids every day for a long period. Also eating alot better which helps clean my system. All these things I couldn't do cold turkey b/c the w/d made it hard to even get outta bed much less exercise/eat

But what's the deal w/ insurance companies not covering suboxone? Or maybe it's just the doctor's office im going to that doesn't?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

kelly29 HB User

Glad to hear you're doing well! Sounds like you're doing all the right things. As far as your insurance question, I wouldn't know. I am uninsured. My employer doesn't offer health insurance and with 2 kids, I can't afford insurance for myself. I'm paying (a lot of) cash for my treatment. However, it's still not as much money as I spent on my pills. So I'm definitely not complaining.

So are you on Suboxone or Subutex? They started me on Subutex, and were supposed to transition me over to Suboxone on Friday, but I think I'm going to ask him if I can just stay on the Subutex. It is really working wonders! I feel great. I just can't imagine that it's that easy. I just feel, in the back of my mind, that I have something evil headed my way. I'm going to ask the Dr if I can just stay on my current dose of Subutex for maybe another week, and then start weaning off, just a little bit. I imagine if I go slow, then I shoud be okay. I guess there's only one way to find out. I honestly didn't read all that health information pamphlet they give you (the one with all the fine print), but I've done some pretty rudimentary research on the net and it seems like both meds are basically the same. So, anyway, which one are you on, and how do you like it overall?

Keep up the great work! (I can't imagine trying to kick pills AND junk food at the same time!)

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I am so proud of you guys!! You have awakened on your own and realized how valuable your life is. and to others. I wish my 22 yr old would do that. he does well for 3-4 months and then boom, he loses it all, job, school, family.........we're done with it all. I hope he realizes as you have how much life matters!! Keep up the good work and my prayers are with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread