It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

tanita 12 HB User
how long will suboxone be in your system

i take 16 mg a day of suboxone but i just found out i need to go in for surgery to take my gulbladder out . if i stop taking suboxone now will i be able to feel the pain killer in threee days?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User
Re: how long will suboxone be in your system

Sub has a half-life of 37.5 hours.

tat*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

yes, three days is about right. make sure you tell your doctor that you are taking sub so he/she knows. tell doc that it has a halflife of 37.5 hours (tat, dude! love him) so he can give you the right advice as to when to stop the sub. tell your sub doc too, he/she will most likely know the protocol for situations like this.

good luck,

michelle

Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

you need to stop the sub right now.you will be okay for the surgery if you dont take anymore sub till the surg.also it would help get the sub out of your system quicker if you could drink alot of water and sweat a whole lot.if you cant get to a steam room,then run a tub full of hot water as hot as you can stand it and turn the heater on in the room and just sweat it out as much as you can stand.be carefull tho this can cause bloodpressure to go up also.but you will sweat alot.ive often wondered if the suboxone would make a person more prone to waking up during the operation.its such a powerfull opiate and it has to make you more have more tolerance to the anathesia imo.like everybody else said be sure to tell your dr,and if possible have your sub dr touch base with your surgeon and all others involved just to be safe.sub has been used in europe for decades so im sure this has come up in the past.maybe do some reasearch on it.good luck-spark

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

marilyn801 HB User

The same thing just happened to me. I am on suboxone and have been for 2 years. I am on 6mg a day. I have to have my gallbladder out in 3 days. My sub doctor told me once that if you take subutex instead of suboxone, pain killers will work. This is because subutex doesn't have the blocker in it. I have an appt with her today and I'll ask her what I should do. I will let you know what I find out as soon as I get back!

Last edited by marilyn801; 02-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

That is soooo not true !!! Subutex and suboxone have the exact same makeup, cept suboxone has naloxone in it to prevent iv users from abusing the drug. thats why doctors like to scribe one instead of ex. both are very strong opiates that latch on to the receptors and block the effects of any other narcotic entering the system. please do a search on sub and get some more info for yourself. go to their website. contact them if you can (the makers of suboxone and subutex). good luck.
let us know what happens, k?

michells

Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
(female)

marilyn801 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn801 View Post
The same thing just happened to me. I am on suboxone and have been for 2 years. I am on 6mg a day. I have to have my gallbladder out in 3 days. My sub doctor told me once that if you take subutex instead of suboxone, pain killers will work. This is because subutex doesn't have the blocker in it. I have an appt with her today and I'll ask her what I should do. I will let you know what I find out as soon as I get back!
My doc still thinks the same thing. She knows I have surgery on thurs so she suggested to continue my suboxone and then the night before the surgery, take subutex. This should allow the pain meds to work the next day. Sorry but I just don't beleive that. So instead I am not using anything today or tomorrow and come Thursday, I HOPE the pain meds I am given will work on me. Not to be high but Iam so scared about being in pain. I will get on my suboxone once I can stop taking the pain meds, I want to stay clean.
Do you think come mid day on Thursday the 14th when I have my surgery, the pain meds will work? Because I sure DO NOT like the symtoms I am having right now. This better be worth it.

Closed Thread