It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

cmtsam HB User
Does the doctor know what he is doing?

My doctor recently decided after 5-6 years of medication (started with percocet then went to oxycontin then ended with 10mg of methodone 2x day) that abrouptly that I did not need the pain medicine anymore. He was also giving me topomax and said that was all I needed. I told him that if this is the plan, don't I need to go to a treatment program? He said no and put me on another medicine (hydrocodone) and said I would be fine. The first day I was fine, but by the second night I barely slept. The third night I didn't sleep and called the doctor. He said I would be fine and by the weekend I would be done with all the side effects. Each day I got worse. The hydrocodone made me sick. I called again and said I am very ill and don't know what to do. I never detoxed and don't know what to expect. He gave me a handful of methodone in very low dose and said don't take them unless you absolutely need to and trust me you will be find by the weekend. I am a terrible mess, haven't been able to work and don't know what to do. I don't have 20,000 for a treatment program.

Any suggestions would be great. Are they other kinds of treatment programs?

Also, how will I know I don't need the medicine? I was given the medication for nerve pain in my eyes.

Desperate

Last edited by cmtsam; 02-10-2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: forgot to write something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bajaboats HB User
Re: Does the doctor know what he is doing?

Hello cmtsam,
Welcome.
I can't answer your Doc questions but I will agree with you on the OUCH!!
Sounds fast. Maybe look up some tapering info on the net present it to the Doc.
Doc might not know? Remember. I'm not a Doc. just a recovering addict.

I suggest reading the thread at the top of this board "Home Detox" if you have not already.

I am on day five clean for what I condsidered an bad habbit and I feel fine today. Not 100% yet but alot better. 1000% better than I felt when I was using Oxy. daily.

I also have many injuries and suffer with pain.

in 3 years I ruptured my right achilies tendon, broke my left heal, got hit in the head with a crane and got a concussion the 2 months later fell 15 feet and landed on my back on a concrete slab. Broke three ribs and got another concusion.

I broke my left wrist in there sometime too.

I have nerve damage in my left foot from the heal break and it bothers me from time to time.

Started with Hydro's. Always had plenty. Made a big mistake when I went to Oxy.

This is my Oxy story.

If I get hurt again (I gave up the dirt bike racing, Duh) I will refuse pain med. I don't want to get started again. This has not been a fun ride for me.

I have not really had much pain since going clean.

I can say there are alot of wonderfull people here to help.

Hang in there bud. Good luck
Peace.
Baja
P.S. If you have time read some of my posts and posts from REACHOUT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread