It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

Angeleki HB User
Question Trying to get off methodone..should i ween off or go cold turkey????

I have been addicted to methodone for 1yr. I was at 70mg a day. Craving chocolate and my sleep was messed up. I have weened down to 25 to 30mg. Today i took 25mg. so i am wondering should i keep weening or just stop now. I have a 4 year old girl...so i dont want to be sick...from w/d.

I dont crave sweets anymore and my sleep is not interupted so I think i am making progress. Any advice would help!! Thx to who ever takes time to read and respond to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: Trying to get off methodone..should i ween off or go cold turkey????

hi angeleki

i tapered down from 80-90 ml over the space of a year, i went right down to 2ml/mg and i felt pretty rough for a couple of weeks - not too rough - just rough enough. i still managed to look after my 3yr old boy - but he didnt have the most stimulating of days during this time. i have also tried jumping off at 30ml, this at first didnt seem too bad - but the thing with meth is that it is synthetic, so it takes around 3 days to get out of your system before the withdrawals start. personally i wouldnt advise a jump from such a dose. i'd taper right down if i was you. i also didnt feel that bad tapering down from 30 ml to 5ml. just take it easy. one step at a time - theres no need to rush the final stages of getting clean - you've got a whole life ahead of you to enjoy. you CAN do it.
post back as often as you feel like. there are plenty of people on here who have been or are going through the same/similar things. stay positive - and think of that little girl, it'll help when you feel low.

keep on keepin on

yoss

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

Angeleki HB User

Thanks so much for your info. The hardest thing for me is-methodone gives me energy...when i dont take it...i cant get off the couch. But then i think that is part of the withdrawl. what do u think? Is it part of the withdrawl?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

oh yeah - lack of energy is a big part of withdrawal. even when you taper right down to nothing like i did (it took a month to start feeling/sleeping better). if you start taking multivitamins/supplements then this might help a little when you do get right down. i know that if you jump off now - it will knock you right down to 'full on' withdrawals. at least if you taper down the you're not going to get the most severe side effects. tapering down IS manageable. i have tried going 'cold turkey' at least 20 times in my life. it only worked once - when i moved 2000 miles away to a country where they'd lock you up for life if caught with even the tiniest amount of ANY drugs on your possession.

read through some of the recommended home detox plans that are posted on here. also go over other peoples posts who are going through meth withdrawal - this i think will help you a lot.

if there's anything else i can do - just ask

take care

yoss

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Last edited by Yossarian22; 02-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Closed Thread