It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

ReadyToBeDone HB User
Note about drug testing

Hi all!! Well, I had a very interesting experience this morning, so since this is a sharing place, here goes....

2 days ago, I took my son and hubby to Dr. Both had the flu. Dr. prescribed Tamiflu and Phenergan DM for the cough and vomitting. Dr. prescribed extra for me (tamiflu to prevent, and cough stuff in case i got it). Well, I got it. But before I took anything, I called the pharmacy, explained the situation. Not my prescription, but dr. told me to take it if i got sick, is this in any way narcotic, and will it affect a drug screen? I was told everythng was fine and dandy. So, I took the medicine as instructed. I go in for counselling today and have to do a drug screen. Once again, no problem. Then my counsellor asks me if I've taken anything, b/c my results are showing a very light line for amphetamine use. I'm floored, tell her what I've taken and she just says "don't worry about it, sometimes these tests do that". So, I go through my session as planned. But, the feeling of her thinking I had used when I hadn't really bothered me. So, I go home and look up both tamiflu and phenergran DM and their effects of drug testing. I find this study showing that it can make a false positive show for amphetamine use. I'm printing it off and taking in, but what if this had been with my probation officer??? I mean, if the pharmacist said it wouldn't affect the screening, how would she have known any differently, and she sure as hell wouldn't give me the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that. Phenergran's generic is called promethazine. They give this a lot to kids with stomach viruses and to a lot of people for nausea, so it is a pretty common prescription drug. Just a FYI

Stay Strong,
RTBD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread