It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

andrea1279 HB User
How long does it take to get back to normal after you quit pain pills?

I have quit taking pain pills,I have took them for 5 years, I just don't want to feel like this anymore, I'm tired of having to depend on something just to get by with my day, im 28 years old, I should feel great everyday naturally. anyways, i have quit taking the pills now for 2 weeks. and today i feel just horrible, not so much physically, well i am tired all the time and i never want to do anything, but more of a depression type thing, I feel like im always depressed, and then theirs this HUGE urge to take the pain pills again, and i dont want to, I really really don't, but I really have hardly any willpower. I'm just so depressed. I don't really have anyone to talk to anymore, since i started the pain pills i've allientated everyone in my life, I have my boyfriend of 8 years,we live together, but he just does not understand this, there's no talking to him whatsoever about this, so my question is really will i be this depressed forever? i used to be a really fun person, i loved talking to my friends, and going out, I used to be way more outgoing than i am now, I am practiclly scared just to talk to people anymore, i dont even know what to say to people anymore. I just stay in my house 24/7 I really never ever go out. is this because of the pain pills? has it messed with me mentally??? i need help.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: How long does it take to get back to normal after you quit pain pills?

Hello Andrea

Nice to meet you and glad to see you sharing on the board.

First thing I want to share with you is that, Honey, you have a lot more willpower than you might be able to realize at the moment. You have not taken any painkillers for two full weeks AND you are here seeking help to keep on moving forward! Now that is willpower, no doubt about it.

I assume you were taking sdome opiate based pain med? Vicoden? percocet? Oxycodone? Whatever. All opiate pain med withdrawal involves some common traits. After the physical withdrawal, a level of depression sets in. It comes because in detox, we starve the body and brainf of the chemicals we have been feeding it and it takes time for the brain to fire up again and start producing its own supply. It is a healing that takes a bit of time, but it is a healing that certainly occurs.

I reacted in depression much as you are. I was isolating and was fearful of social interaction. Stayed at home, in bed a lot of the time. Cried a lot, and I do mean a LOT. No motivation.

It is a miserble time, Andrea. We can help the brain heal if we force ourselves to get physical and active as we can. I started with forcing myself to do household chores. Then I made, FORCED myself to go out for a five minute walk, a ten minute walk, maybe a little time out in the backyard or on the porch. As I got better at forcing myself to do things, I began making really short phone calls to family or friends.

Most importantly, I got myself outside help. Real, live people to help me and explain how to help myself. I liked best working with a licensed clinical social worker. However, NA, AA or meetings with a private counselor are all great alternatives.

You can be better, you can feel happiness again. It is a progressive healing. Day by day we get tiny bits better and the colllected bits lead to a full restoration. For now, try to measure the timeline in the hour. A log helped me tremendously initially because I would jot down feelins in shorthand, good or bad, during the day and it provided me with a black and white file of evidence that I was indeed, improving. It was a good reality check for those times when I felt hopeless. I could read my very own words and see that the day before, a few hours before, I did have a period of calmness, of relief.

Come back and share some more, okay?

All good wishes and hope
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
(female)

Angelgirl41 HB User

It takes months to get your brain to a normal place give it time

Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

firelvr HB User

I'm 23 days clean from hyros..... I was taking about 4-5 10/500 a day ... and also some Tussionex cough med. I still just want to sit infront of the T.V. all day and do nothing.... I've done this before and it just takes awhile to get better..... This time the withdrawals were so bad I never want to take them again. I even told my Dr. to put in my chart to never give me ANY opiates ever again. Good luck and you can do it! Hugs.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User

Hi Andrea,

that's my wife's name and so you get replies from me whenever you want (!)

As usual, Reach wisely has spelled it all out. Listen to Reach!

Offering a suggestion --- find something goal oriented. It doesn't have to be "climb Mt Everest". Just something you can break into little pieces and start attacking.

Clutter in the house? Tell yourself you'll de-clutter 1 room (only) a day.
Feed the ducks at the park? Tell yourself you'll go before/after/during work for 2 weeks.
want to run a 5k in July? (that was mine) - tons of great websites that will help you with Day 1 of a running/jogging plan.
Want to watch every movie that's won best Oscar? Designate 1 movie a night.

since you're not my Andrea, I don't know what you like - what makes you look forward to do, but tap into that and add 1 little thing a day that gets you to the goal.

for me, the "up" side of coming off Norco is my house has never been cleaner (I was Navy, so I take care of the house!)

I wish you well and continued strength and peace.

Andie's guy.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

percproblem HB User

i wish i could just jump through the computer and hug you. Because you have summed up everything i feel.

I have been off percocets for 4 weeks and i am miserable. Everyone keeps telling me i will get better like my dr's but all i want to do is jtake their rx pads and shove them up their booties!

I feel like is this the quality of my life now? because if it is i would rather be an addict. I have avoided everyone, even my sisters. They all know though so they are doing their best with patience. Forget talkin to friends/boyfriend. I havent seen him in a month and i dont want to. The only person i seem to be able to talk to is my mom. I havent come on this board b/c i didnt even want to type! But i always read everyones posts and you sounded so much like me i made myself type back!

I feel like my brain shut down. I feel nothing at all except for loss, sadness and depression. There is no joy and nothing makes me happy. I just go through the motions of every day to keep me alive.

I always suffered from depression but never this bad. I was happy. And fun and outgoing and the silly one!
When i took the percs though i finally felt normal.
Now its all gone and even worse than before.

So to answer your question, i dont know how long it will take. Sorry i am not so positive. But i did write in purple color!
All i know is that there is someone out there who is sitting in front of the tv too feeling just like you!
And maybe knowing that we can get through this

Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

Hi.

Research PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) on the net. You might find some answers there, and an "aha" moment always helps. You might understand the "whys" of the symptoms that you are experiencing (blahs, depression, lack of energy...)

It helped me, anyway. I knew it was only a matter of time before my mind healed enough to be good old cheerful me. And, it came right on time for the amount and length of time that I was using, about 5 months (everybody is different though).

Good luck,

mk

Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

bajaboats HB User

Hello andrea,
I'm on day 22 clean and I feel totally normal and have for maybe a week or so.

Everyone is different. Also the duration of use and drug of choice will determine your recovery.

I have had no signs of PAWS at all. When I detoxed off the booze 8 years ago I also didn't get PAWS.

This time I got a few injuries, got some pain meds from the docs and I went from 4 - 10mgs Hydro per day, which I was on for quite some time, then I started upping the dose to get high. I then made an even better decision and switched up to Oxy for only about 5 maybe 6 months (REAL SMART HUH). I got up to 120 mgs a day of Oxy but kept it mostly at 80mgs. I noticed I had a problem and got out before I couldn't. I am just telling you my history so maybe you can compare it to yours. I'm 43 yrs old and in good shape physically (6ft -165 to 170 Lbs) except I smoke Cig's which I intend to quit in March. I am very physically active also.

Maybe this will help you gauge your reaction. We are all different so all I can tell you is the W/D's were no fun at all BUT soooo worth it now that I'm Clean.

Good luck and check back with us. Don't forget the read the "Sample Home Detox" thread at the top of this board if you have not already.

Peace.
Baja

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
(female)

andrea1279 HB User

Thank you all so much for replying to my questions, I am still in the same position i was in,nothing's changed, but maybe one day it will get better. you all are very sweet, and I am gald that you all have took the time to write me. Thanks again. Andrea

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
(female)

allieddd HB User

They say 90 days is about how long it takes for your brain to start making it's own good chemicals.
I take subone (subutex) and it's really helpful. The cravings still come back, but after jumping off percs, vics and morphine-there was no withdrawal. Really-you should look into it.
Try to stay strong and if you mess up, it's cool--just get back up again.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
(female)

caraace HB User

Hi Andrea, I have been in the same boat as you. After rehab I could not get it together physicaly or mentaly. That is how I learned about (PAWS) through reading your thread. Baja said to look it up on the net. WoW! Now I no why I feel this way. I thought I was going crazy. My drug addic counsler wants me to think about suboxone but, I am still now sure what I am going to do. All I know is that I do not want to use pain pills anymore. I hope the best for you. Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Take care,
Cara

Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
(male)

Silverado1 HB User

Andrea I am in the same shape. I have not quit just yet but I have a date set when I am Going cold turkey. I am going to try and cut back for a week or so then quit. I quit for 14 days once but I broke over. I have done lots of research and I am going to try. I hope you continue to stay dry. I am going to keep in mind that I am not alone and you do the same. agian good luck.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
(female)

coffeelady HB User

I was abuseing codeine based pain pills for about a year and a half and stopped taking them about 4 months ago. It took about 2 weeks to rid the phyical withdrawl. I was on anti-depressants (still am) while on the pain meds too, so i didn't so much depression afterwards. Maybe if the depression carries on for a few months you should visit your doctor.

take care.

Closed Thread