It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User
Suboxone Question

I have been abusing pain meds (narcotic and non-narcotic) for approx. 3 years. I quit ct Ultram last Wednesday and I quit Percocet ct yesterday. Physical wd's are at a minimum. I am SEVERELY DEPRESSED. I have been crying all day.I went to see psychiatrist specializing in addiction today. He put me on Cymbalta because I do have legitimate back pain. He also gave me Ambien so I can sleep. I have an appointment to go back Wednesday morning so he can re-evaluate me. He said if I haven't improved by then we need to consider suboxone. I know it has worked wonders for many people but I am a little concerned about taking something that has addictive qualities. What is the general consensus regarding suboxone? Should it be taken as a last resort? Are there people that are unable to stop taking it once they start? Basically looking for as much wisdom as I can find so I can make a smart choice (hopefully). Also, does anyone know how long it takes for anti-depressants to kick in? I just wonder if 2 days is long enough to see how I am doing and make the suboxone decision.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Suboxone Question

hi diamond, 2 days is not long enough for an antidepressant to kick in...have you suffered from depression in the past? my son is on suboxone for about 6 weeks now..Truth be told, i didnt want him to go on it, but he relapsed a few times and we felt like it was his last chance..he said it takes away his narcotic cravings..he suffers from lots of depression tho..it is not going to help you get thru that..all it does is stop cravings..are you having any? you are so new to being clean..this is not going to happen overnight its a long process, you need to give yourself time. I wish i could offer you more help..stay on this board you will get lots of suggestions here..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

The doc said it takes a week at a minimum for the anti-depressant to work. But because I am in such a panic (which he said is withdrawal) he wanted to see me again on Wednesday. I'm not expecting miracles although I'm praying for one. As of tomorrow, I am going to have lots of family here to stay and help me. I hope that brings some relief.

Can you tell me why you didn't want your son on suboxone? Why did you think it was a last resort? I would love to have all my info. so I can make a clear-headed (for once) decision.

I really don't think it's for me. I don't have bad cravings....just horrible depression over what I have done to myself and my family. The only craving is because I know that 1 percocet and all this will go away. My body craves a magic fix!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Well thats craving.. the reason why i didnt want him on sub was because it is addicting and it has to be weaned off of..and he is a true addict , he can become addicted to anything, i mean anything..even things that cant hurt him like certain foods..he has always been that way..But you must remember im not the addict here, but i saw him suffering thru horrible mental withdrawels and he still does but hes not craving the opiods anymore. if that makes any sense to you.. i cant compare you to him, he suffers horrible mood swings and we are trying to figure out if they were the underlying cause of his addiction..he is a self medicator. and tends to want to numb and sedate himself..but at the same time he was maintaining a 3.8 in college and was working 2 jobs.. now, that he is off drugs hes not in school, jumping around with jobs and is lost. we are told its going to take years for him to catch up. he was almost easier to deal with while he was using..sounds crazy..Now, we look at him and we see a bratty immature child that we have never seen before. always pushing the envelope, but meanwhile hes pushing his family right out of his life..

anyway, diamond..this is about you now..i understand why the doc wants to see you in 2 days..he wants to make sure you are making some progress. getting off the drugs is the easy part, staying off them is the miserable part,but their are others just like you on this board and they are doing it..and doing great at it. and just by listening to you, i know you can do it too. wITH THE HELP OF YOUR SUPPORTIVE FAMILY you will be ok..

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

oh and diamond, read all of reaches posts...she will be of a tremendous help to you..She is one amazing lady!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

Thanks Jules. That's good to know. I guess I'm not equating the mental turmoil with physical withdrawals. I thought the mental part of it is step 2 after all the physical junk is done.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going thru. I have a young one and I can't imagine what it must do to you as a parent to watch your precious children tear themselves apart. I guess that's what my parent's are feeling now. They are so utterly shocked that this has happened to me. I too was an over-achiever. I did well in school, went on to have a successful wall street career until I became a mom. This is truly a disease that knows no socioeconomic boundaries. My sister told me today that she can't understand why I would feel so depressed in my life because she wishes she could have it. It's truly disgusting what I have done.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

o my god, diamond STOP being so hard on yourself. Think of this as an obstacle in your life that you will get over. Stop worrying about what people including your sister thinks..people get depressed ,it has nothing to do with what your life looks like to others..My friends who dont know anything about my son look at me and think i have the perfect family and perfect life meanwhile im living with this everyday..I love my only son with all my heart and it is tearing me apart...they dont know that.. you are on the right track by admitting that you have a problem and need help....now , im talking to you as a friend, get on with it..It is not going to be an easy road but i feel with all heart that you can do it..its babysteps all the way..have patience and you will succeed...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

Jules, You are so right. Yesterday was a very tough day for me. I was alone and my husband came home and we had a very good talk. I am being much harder on myself than my family is. I guess I just want them to not underestimate what I have done. I felt very alone and ashamed. I just want to be a good mother and wife and make my family happy and proud of me but I'm not able to at this moment and I have a lot of guilt for putting us all in this predicament. I will try to be more positive. This is very new to me and I am on a huge emotional roller coaster.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

Diamond, I too had my family help me years ago with what i thought was a minor problem. They all got me together and told me they knew I was in a lot of pain but were concerned about my addiction. I too am not proud of what I did.. stole Vics from my family members whenever i could as well as getting my own legitimate. The main issue here is that your family DOES CARE and you do have their support and it sounds like they love you. You are right, this problem hits every level --- no one lifestyle is exempt. As you make progress, each day will seem brighter but it does take time. you are lucky you have your family. My second time around with an opiate addiction I suffered in silence as I knew my family this time wouldn't be as supportive. Sounds like you WANT to win this battle which is one major hurdle out of the way already. GOOD LUCK. There are some amazing people here on this board that have all been there and done that.They have a lot of knowledge and compassion

Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
(male)

raymond5106 HB User

i'm here just reaching out...i'm here in nj and have a 24 year old son in calif. he now has a problem with suboxone. at times he reaches out and at times he's suicidal. what help can i give him?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

tell us what the problem is with suboxone please?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
(male)

raymond5106 HB User

the problem is he feels like he's never going to be able to stop plus he is getting them off the street. from what i'm reading here and if he's being honest with me he said he was using an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a 8mg tablet and that seems, to me anyway, like an amount he should be able to stop. i've told him at the very least he should get to a dr so he can at least get these prescribed legaly because he is already dealing with some legal issues.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

yes ray he should go to a doc and get them prescribed..my son was buying them off the street too..they are not going to work right like that..im not pushing sub, believe me im not..but it is keeping my son off street bought opiates..we are living one day at a time..

Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
(female)

dianadi HB User

Diamond Girl: Stick with the Suboxone. I have been on it for 7 months and it works wonders. I am not so concerned about getting off of it - my doctors are fine with me on it. It also allows me to sleep great - give it time. Since you say you are on Day 2 of a perc detox, it'll be a few days before you feel balanced. Hang in there!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
(female)

spring35 HB User

Suboxone has been a miricle drug for our family other than the cost ,it has given life back .Often times the people who need this drug cannot afford it ,we are one of those people but we cannot afford not to either

Closed Thread