It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

addictedmomof3 HB User
15 norco and 20-25 vicodin in 1 day...unexplained bruising...related

I am a binger. I dont have pills all the time, but when I do, I take them 4, 5 or 6 at a time and usually every 2 or 3hours apart..or whenever I feel the urge. Even if I feel disgustingly sick and have that medication taste in my mouth, I know they are there, so I just HAVE to take them...I know in my right brain, DUH then just STOP GETTING THEM...but, then the panic sets in...I HAVE TO HAVE THEM!!!
So, now this next issue...a few months ago I noticed a nasty (not raised) purple, black, blue bruise on my stomach (I had gastric bypass so I have a little extra skin on my abdomine and its on that extra skin where I get the bruise). After my last binge just about 2 weeks ago, I got the same bruise in the same place. My boyfriend saw it and was like, ***??? Where did THAT come from...I really have NO idea...
Then, on Intervention on A&E last night I saw this alcoholic who they showed had the same deep dark bruising that I had, but he had them all over his body...but they said its serosis (sp) of the liver...So that freaked me out..could that be what the bruise is? Would I only get 1 in one place when i binge on pain meds? Could my liver be shot this quickly? I had it checked a year ago and they said all is well..but then about 4 months ago I relapsed with the pills....Im scared now..could my liver go from fine to bad in that amount of time...?
Being a bypass patient, the actual tylenol goes through my liver even stronger than normal people because it doesnt absorb the same....I dont want to admit what I have done to my Doctor for fear they wont give me them anymore..which is EXACTLY what should happen but I really really dont WANT that to happen....am I just sick and twisted???? Wait...I dont think I WANT to know that either......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

maggieloop HB User
Re: 15 norco and 20-25 vicodin in 1 day...unexplained bruising...related

You don't want to mess with something that sounds this serious. You need to come clean to a medical person to find out what the problem is, you have a problem that could be life threaterning. What is more important to you, keeping a supply of pills going that may eventually kill you or coming clean to a doc who can help you if you have done serious harm to your body?

Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bajaboats HB User

Hello addictedmomof3,
Welcome to the board.

I can only say Please see your octor and tell him/her the truth. If you have an addiction problem they may work with you and help you get clean. My doctor helped me and is still helping me stay clean. Even cold turkey would be better than death or cancer.

This sounds like something serious. Your liver is located on the right side of your body just about where your ribs end heading towards your feet.

When I was drinking heavy 8 years ago I remember having discomfort in the same area but never any brusing.

You need to get that checked Dear.

I am clean from the pillz for day 45 today and beleive me, you can live without them. I never thought I could when I started my rapid taper but here I am and feeling soooo much better and happier too.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

As Always,
Peace.
Baja

Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
(male)

DroopyEyes HB User

Hi Mom of 3....

From my months of reading and posting, I thought I was the most paranoid of liver implications...but I hear your fear and you sounds a lot like me.

I used to bruise constantly (multiple sites, not like your single site).
I bet you are itching a lot, too.
Do you notice any swelling in your belly --- the waist on your pants/slacks is suddenly way too small and resembles bloating? This can be ascites.

All these symptoms are, indeed, indicative of liver damage/abuse. You are taking dangerously high doses of acetaminophen. It's not the hydrocodone (although overdose in the sense of passing out and not waking up is certainly possible at your doses) that is hurting you right now, it's the acetaminophen ("apap"). You don't mention it, but Norco can have as little as 325mg per tablet but some vicodin can have 650.

I'm sure you know because if you're like me, you've searched so much you know the order of the search results! But Mom...you are far exceeding 4,000mgs/day of acetaminophen. The "safe" dosings are:
< 1,000mg in a single dose
<4,000mg in a 24 hour period.

There is a supplement that emergency rooms use to counteract massively high/overdosage of acetaminophen. I apologize for not elaborating but I'm unclear if this is allowed for me to post and I do not want to risk losing all of you. Also, I am not a doctor or a health care professional, but I have really researched opiates, because I wanted to understand how these awful drugs are affecting me and my health/future.

if you do a search given the information I have posted, I'm sure you will find your answer. but everyone else is absolutely #1 correct...please seek out your doctor for advice and support.

I can tell you, Mom, that I'm about to go cold turkey after a very slow taper (tomorrow - you're the first to know!) and the 2 things that have gotten my mind wrapped around the absurdity of my addictive actions is...my 2 sons. I keep calling you "Mom" because I want you to remember that this addiction is not all about you. it's about your precious kids. I'm not trying to speak to you in any manner except honest and caring/supportive.

The words that have become my mantra are:
a. I need to stop this before it stops ME
b. I lost my mom suddenly when I was 4 and I can not and will not allow my boys to be raised without a father.
c. God has given me this road to go down partly for my own growth, but to also be a resource/big brother/set of eyes/ears for people here.

You have worth. You are here for a reason. But your liver can not keep taking this abuse and if you quit, you have a great chance of catching it in time and having it repair itself. It's one of the most resilient organs you have. But please try to look at your pills for the toxins they are. In safe doses, they help. But you are destroying it.

I hope you are not hurt or offended by my bluntness but I watched that episode, too, and ...the man DIED.

I'm here. Post often and take steps forward ...Please.

Droop

Last edited by DroopyEyes; 03-19-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hi Mom:

Let me just say that I watched that same show on Intervention. It brought back some very sad and scary memories for me, as I lost a brother at the age of 33 from Chirosis (sp) of the liver.

The only thing I would beg of you please dear Mom...is go, do not walk, but run to the a doctor and come clean with him. Ask for help to taper or to go on Suboxone. Chances are if you ask for help, someone will provide it. If you do not, your prescious 3 that you are Mom to, will lose so much. My brother left behind two prescious ones and it pains me that he missed on them growing up, getting married and having children of their own.

Please do this if not for YOU do it for your children. I don't post much here, but I do read every day, and these people on here are an awesome support network. Come to them for help. But please don't go on without having yourself checked out. Those brusies are not a sign of something good. Hopefully it's something simple like anemia, but it wasn't in my brother's case.

I'll add you to my prayer list, and will pray for your family as well. Please find the strength to do this for YOU, and those babies.

Blessings,

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Closed Thread