It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

D31 HB User
Could I be an alchoholic ???

I am 34,, I don't drink during the week.. or alone.. but when I do.. man do I.. I would say twice or maybe 3 times a month I get hammered. To the point where I do not remember everything the next day. I say and do things at this time I would not normally do. To the point I have ****** people off. Could I have a problem ?? My dad is an alcoholic.. but has been sober for over 10 years... I know sometimes heredity plays a role. Any idea's??? I should mention I have never nor would I ever drink and drive. I always take cab. And I never have booze in my home as in go and buy any just to have . Basically it is when I go out . When at a restaurant I never order a drink.. always pop. I don't like to drink and eat dinner as it makes the dinner less enjoyable...

Last edited by D31; 04-08-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
(female)

Krissy612 HB User
Re: Could I be an alchoholic ???

I don't think that you are an alcoholic...
but you may turn into one.
I used to drink like you... just a few times a month and I would get totally plastered, then do a bunch of stupid things.
But over the past few months I started drinking more and more until I was up to about 4 days a week... and now I drink myself into oblivion everyday.

I guess the advice I would give you would be to try and keep yourself in check... set a limit for how much you are going to drink... instead of 10 beers only have 5.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

D31 HB User

Well I always have promised myself it will not interfere with my job.. as in never call in sick due to it. I never have. I guess I never really count the drinks I have. I just drink. I would say in the last 4 years I have drank more then I have ever. I know a few times I have made huge mistakes.. infact to the point I have done drugs... as in coke... I did that for 2 months. Then literally one day to the next.. I thought what am I doing!!!! This is not me!!! And stopped the drugs.. never done any since.. that was a year and a half ago. The last time I had a case of beer in my fridge it took me a month and a half to drink it all. I guess it just concerns me how if I do go out...and like I said 2 to 3 times a month I really get drunk. I have had bad things happen in my life and on weekends I drank more.. but then that was it. None at all during the week.. I don't crave booze.. I have gone several weekends none at all.. months at a time this has happend none. So I guess I kinda answered my own question in a sense...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
(male)

davemax67 HB User

All I can offer is my experience. My grandfather owned a bar, My father owned a nightclub and I worked in the business for several years. Many people are weekend warriors and never seem to have a problem. I would just offer one thought for you...why? What is the need to medicate? For me that is why I had such a big deal with crack. It's not even what it's done to my life..which is pretty screwed up...but I cannot understand my need...my disease of addiction...I am new to NA but that is the answer I am seeking...for you...be careful...Alcoholism is a creeping disease...Most drunks don't even realize it until later in life and after some life disasters. I for one would vote not to drink at all. **** it...who needs it...why give the alcohol companies money when you could buy yourself a new outfit. Go out with your significant others who don't use. If you have any. That was a challenge for me. I wish you the best but I have to tell you what you are saying concerns me. I'm no expert by a long shot but if there is one substance I have seen repeatedly screw up lives it's alcohol. I truly wish you the best.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D31 View Post
I am 34,, I don't drink during the week.. or alone.. but when I do.. man do I.. I would say twice or maybe 3 times a month I get hammered. To the point where I do not remember everything the next day. I say and do things at this time I would not normally do. To the point I have ****** people off. Could I have a problem ?? My dad is an alcoholic.. but has been sober for over 10 years... I know sometimes heredity plays a role. Any idea's??? I should mention I have never nor would I ever drink and drive. I always take cab. And I never have booze in my home as in go and buy any just to have . Basically it is when I go out . When at a restaurant I never order a drink.. always pop. I don't like to drink and eat dinner as it makes the dinner less enjoyable...
You also wrote:
Well I always have promised myself it will not interfere with my job.. as in never call in sick due to it. I never have. I guess I never really count the drinks I have. I just drink. I would say in the last 4 years I have drank more then I have ever. I know a few times I have made huge mistakes.. infact to the point I have done drugs... as in coke... I did that for 2 months. Then literally one day to the next.. I thought what am I doing!!!! This is not me!!! And stopped the drugs.. never done any since.. that was a year and a half ago. The last time I had a case of beer in my fridge it took me a month and a half to drink it all. I guess it just concerns me how if I do go out...and like I said 2 to 3 times a month I really get drunk. I have had bad things happen in my life and on weekends I drank more.. but then that was it. None at all during the week.. I don't crave booze.. I have gone several weekends none at all.. months at a time this has happend none. So I guess I kinda answered my own question in a sense...

D31,
I read your posts and wanted to share some information with you. Now, I am not saying you are an alcoholic. Thats something only you can answer.
I am an alcoholic. Definatley. I've done a fair share of research on alcoholism and have read (and do believe) that its not how often or how much you drink, its what happens when you do drink, ie black outs, doing things that a person would not do when sober.
I have heard a womans storying in the rooms of AA that she would black out after 2 glassed of wine and make a fool/cause problems for herself before the black out. Also, there are many recovering alcoholics that I have heard that only drank a few times a year.

I just thought I would pipe in my two cents worth. It may helpful if you check out a AA meeting to get some more responses about your question.

Best if luck,
Marilyn

Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello D31,

I would have to agree with TomsWife.

It is not "how often" but "what happens when."

A person's mindset can also be a factor.

I will not call you an alcoholic, for I do not wish to offend; I will say that you do possess alcoholic tendencies.......

based on what you have explained.

Respectfully posted,

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 04-09-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
(female)

D31 HB User

Well there have also been times I have not got hammed when I have been out... I would agree the mindset plays a part. I find when I want to unwind and blow off steam I drink more. I don't get angry.. just more gutsy I would say. As in no filter on what I say. My father as I said was,, he was early on from 25 to 45 yrs old his life. He drank EVERY weekend and alot!!! He hid booze and drank alone. He would never go 1 weekend with out it. I can and have.... I guess I sort of guaged it based on the ones I have known....he would panic if he had no booze. i had en ex who was also an alcoholic.. he could not go without either. And I remember telling him what was the big deal, one day would not kill him!!! I guess I just wanted some un biased opinions....

Closed Thread