It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

celticfairy HB User
Anyone else withdrawal from Ultram (tramadol)?

I have been off Ultram (a pain killer but also the characteristics of serotonin reuptake inhibitors) for over 8 months. The withdrawal was absolutely horrendous. I wanted to know if anyone else out there has has protracted withdrawal symptoms that include difficulty sleeping due to either intense adrenaline 'surges' when just falling into a sleep or 'brain shocks'. Even after all of this time I still experience them, sometimes several times through the night - each time I try to drop off to sleep. It is extremely distressful and I can't get any sleep. I won't take anymore drugs to resolve this because it would just cover up what the problem is and wouldn't let my brain and body really heal. I took Ultram for 13 years for a back injury and was told it was non-narcotic and non-addictive which is absolutely not true.

I am healthy, active and do not have anxiety or anything that would cause the symptoms during the night. They only began after I stopped taking Ultram.

I would love to talk to others who might have some experiences similar to this, especially with longer term effects of the withdrawal.
Kristin

Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
(male)

hapy jack HB User
Re: Anyone else withdrawal from Ultram (tramadol)?

Hi celticfairy you might be able to get some help with this if you go onto the pain managment board, there are some people on there who have expirience of this. I myself am on tramadol but as yet have no expirience of coming off the drug, what you say sounds very similar to what others have suffered. I have heard very similar things about subutex/suboxone, also 13 years is a very long time and this drug seems to cause many, many unpleasent side effects, i have a friend who calls these symptoms post withdrawal syndrome which may be what you are are suffering. If its any consolation everyday clean is a day further away from it, recovery from narcotics is a long slow process unfortunately but your doing excellent give yourself a big pat on the back and keep posting theres plenty of support on the addiction and PM boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

I was on Tramadol for about a year and withdrawing from this was living hell. I have been off this med since August of last year but I started taking increased doses of Lortab in September. I have been clean from both since January and though its been a long hard road I wouldn't change anything. I really don't suffer from the body jerks anymore my biggest problem has been the cravings and sleeping. Don't gt me wrong they have got better but they still show up every now & then. Tramadol is very addicting and people should be warned. I onlly took four to five 50 mg doses a day and I even tapered down and it was still hell coming off. What I have learned is your body & your brain need time to heal and I think that is what is happening. It will stop but depending on the amount of time you were taking them will determine your recovery. Each day gets better you will make it through just give it time.

Winnie

Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

celticfairy HB User

Thank you so much for your kind and compassionate words. I know it will take time but I never imagined it would be this long. I have never known anyone who has taken it as long as I did. I think I was given one of the very first prescriptions in the U.S. I too was told it was safe and non-addictive. It is a double wammy when it comes to withdrawal because it is a pain killer and anti-depressant. I am sorry you have the experiences with sleep and craving that you have, although, it sounds like you feel much, much better and that you are improving and healing more every day. That is wonderful.

Kristin

Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
(male)

Razumikhin HB User

I don't have any direct experience with Tramadol, but from what I've read it's supposed to act similarly to Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) in addition to its opiate agonist properties, e.g. it effects serotonin levels in the brain. The SSRI class (think Zoloft, Paxil) has long term withdrawal side effects - (which I have experienced) - which include a sort of "brain shock", very disconcerting. I would not be surprised if Tramadol is having a similar effect after really long term use. Just a guess. It's probably worth talking to your doctor about.

Best of luck,

Raz

Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Wow, coming off Tramadol was hell! I went through a week long detox period which doesn't sound long but it was miserable. I only was on it for 2 months after surgery and my doctor forgot to tell me to get off it gradually, so I went cold turkey. Awful, and I never want to go through it again. Feeling anxiety, unable to sleep, unable to sit still but too exhausted to move around, just horrible! I was hospitalized later and was on Dilaudid and Demerol along with a morphine epidural (ended up allergic to the morphine) and when I was being released I was warned that there was damage to my central nervous system which resulted in jumping out of my skin every few minutes while trying to sleep. I got off all painkillers as quickly as possible & now only take Advil or Tylenol #3 if absolutely necessary.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Why is this drug marketed as "non-addicting"? Clearly (as I have read all over the www this morning) it is just as addicting as narcotics and has painful withdrawal symptoms.

My doc took me off percocet because he said it was addicting and then put me on this crap (which incidentally has done NOTHING in regard to my shoulder/neck pain).

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
(female)

jschooly HB User

I just joined today trying to find out if anyone else is addicted to Tramadol. I got addicted to Vicodin last year and started taking Tram to ween of the Vic. I take about 6 50mg a day and have a doctor who is willing to put me on a Suboxone program to help me W/D. However, at least one person on the board says that is a TERRIBLE idea because Sub for a 6 Tram a day habit it like using a skillet to swat a gnat!! I have tried tapering of the Tram and it gets ugly. I am a mom, wife, working and actually attend AA regularly. I have not had a drink or any other kind of drug (except the Vic & Tram) in years. This is a real mess I have gotten myself into. Anyone else have ideas about Suboxone or a better way to detox off Tramadol??

Thanks for your thoughts and the best of luck to anyone reading this post!!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

I used to take approx. 9 tramadols a day. I decided to go cold turkey and it was just as bad as when I later went cold turkey for percocets. Tramadol is a narcotic. While withdrawing from Tramadol, I experienced a tremendous amount of depression. I saw a doctor on day 2 and he wanted to put me on Sub. I didn't want to do it because I was scared about what I read. I then went back on day 5 and I was just as bad. I then decided to try Sub and within a half hour of my first dose, I was a completely different person. Sub was a life saver for me. Tramadol has some sort of anti-depressant quality to it. Because Tramadol isn't classified as a narcotic, a lot of people underestimate it's addictive qualities. If you really want to try Sub then I say go for it. But I do agree to try to quit as quickly as possible. And make sure that you trust the doctor that is prescribing it for you and follow his/her directions to the tee.

I hope I helped and please let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
(female)

jschooly HB User

Hi Diamondgirl,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am really wavering here as to which way to go. I feel that the WD from Tram is about as ugly as any narcotic. I have had just a taste and that's what made me up my dose again. I have been through alcohol and meth WD many, many years ago and I just do not want to have to go throught the suicidal depression again. I can kinda, sorta handle the insomnia, cramps and restlessness but it's the depression that I just can't take. This is what pushes me in the direction of trying the Suboxone for the Short Term. I am really trying to pray on it and come up with the right answer.

Thanks for your story. It is very helpful.

Closed Thread