It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

vickyc HB User
Suboxone..how much and what to expect please!!

I am calling the doc tomorrow for an appt. to start suboxone and have a bazzillion question!! My Docs first visit will be 250.00 (some were up around 500.00!!) But how much does the pills actually cost, how will they make me feel...anyone with experience that can share with me would be so helpful..good and bad, just experience and knowledge would be awesome!! Thanks in advance to everyone here...for just being here!!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
(male)

Razumikhin HB User
Re: Suboxone..how much and what to expect please!!

Hi Vickyc,

It all depends on what you've been taking, and for how long. Suboxone is a partial opiate agonist (buprenorphine) combined with nalaxone, an antagonist. When taken sublingually, the only active component is the buprenorphine. It will basically block w/d and will also prevent other opiates from having an effect. Your doctor will probably start you on 2-4mg, then titrate the dosage up over the next few hours. Again, it depends on what you were taking and for how long. If you don't already know, you MUST be in withdrawal before starting the medication, or it will throw you into withdrawal. You should ask your doctor for the details before starting.

As far as what to expect, when I took it I first felt nausea. But I had not been taking enough opiates to really warrant sub (I had been on vicodin ES, about 5/day for maybe 6-7 months, and with hindsight should never have been prescribed sub!) I was so scared of withdrawal that I researched and found suboxone, paid a bundle for it, and ended up taking what is really a much stronger opiate (sub!). However, if you're taking significant amounts of an opiate for a long period of time, suboxone can be a good idea. You need to discuss openly with your doctor - and you might want to talk with your primary physician before starting as well. As much as the docs prescribing suboxone do provide a valuable service, the fact is many charge way more than they should and prey on people's desperation.

The medication itself is very expensive - for Subutex (buprenorphine without the nalaxone), the retail cost is about $1-1.50/mg. I'm not sure about the Suboxone. Whatever you do, make sure you take the minimum dose that works! Withdrawal from sub, while not as intense, lasts much longer than wd/ from oxycodone for example.

Whichever path you take, I wish you the best!

Raz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
(male)

Razumikhin HB User

Vickyc,

Forgot to add - if taken as prescribed, sub should make you feel normal.

Best,

Raz

Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
(male)

jerry43 HB User
Smile Re: Suboxone..how much and what to expect please!!

Iv'e Been Using Sub For Over Three Years Now. It Is A Miracle Drug To Me. Depending On What And How Much You Have Been Using,will Determine Your Daily Dosage. Everyone Is Different. They Come In 2mg And 8mg. I Need Two 8mg Tablets Every Day. One After Being Up A Couple Hours And One Around 11:00 A.m.. My Ins. Covers This For Me. They Cost $8.00 Each 8mg Tablet. If You Have A Prescription Plan They May Cover The Cost For You. You Won't Beleive How Good You Feel. Back To Normal. How Long And What Were You Using?

Jerry43

Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
(female)

vickyc HB User

Thank you both for great advice!! I have been on about 16-20 mg dilaudid daily for the past 3 months, if I couldnt get dilaudid any opiate to take the edge off is what I would take. That really is expesive! Because of my profession, I will and want to pay everything out of pocket, that may also be a bigger reason to get off sub faster Have to be honest...3 years?!?! That scares me a bit, why so long Jerry..that of course is a respectful question. Am I looking about the same time frame? Thanks for your imput..still hungry for more information!! Peace!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

USgirl HB User

hello, I'm new and have a problem with fioricet. I've been on it for about 6 years. Will suboxone help me? I tried it before and boy did it help!! I'm in N.C. just moved here and don't have a clue where to find a doctor to get it!! and, will medicaid cover it? Where or who should I go too to ask about it? I've heard it is very hard to get?. Can anyone suggest anything?? Thank you!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
(female)

vickyc HB User

Hi dar, ahhhh...fioricet, that was the pill that began my world of abuse, been off of fioricets for over 6 years! Fioricet is a barbituate. Suboxone is for opiate withdrawls...so from what very little I know about Sub, it is the wrong med for barbituates. You need to search physicians who prescribe Suboxone and it will take you a list of Dr's in your area.

Did you say you did use Sub for fioricet and it worked, or was your doc opiates prior to fioricet? The Sub site is a wealth of information. As a matter of fact, I am going to find out in about 10 min how and if I can get started on Sub for opiate withdrawals..

Please keep posting, this message board is so leading me down the path of recovery!! I relapsed about 7 or so months ago after 6.5 years clean time....I tryed to quit cold turkey on the 10th but relapsed in just a few short days..grrrrr..... Good luck and peace!!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-21-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

I guess I dont know alot about it,but 3 years seems really long to me,also.
IF I was going to go the sub route to come off of opiates, and I really wanted to be clean I would start the taper asap.But again,I dont know enough about it, and everyone is different.
I guess the bottom line is to get off of whatever narcotics you are using if you have a problem,(like me!) and to do whatever it takes to achieve that.
Good luck to all of you. I guess I'm not the guy to say much because I dont know enuff about it.
Vicky,mornin',hun.

peace.
jerry.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
(male)

jerry43 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyc View Post
Thank you both for great advice!! I have been on about 16-20 mg dilaudid daily for the past 3 months, if I couldnt get dilaudid any opiate to take the edge off is what I would take. That really is expesive! Because of my profession, I will and want to pay everything out of pocket, that may also be a bigger reason to get off sub faster Have to be honest...3 years?!?! That scares me a bit, why so long Jerry..that of course is a respectful question. Am I looking about the same time frame? Thanks for your imput..still hungry for more information!! Peace!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
(male)

jerry43 HB User

Over The Three Years I've Tried Tappering But It Made For A Really Tough Situation. After Speaking With My Doc. And Trying Different Ways To Tapper. It Became Aparent To He And I, Based On Prior Abuse, I May Be On Sub For Life. The Alternative Is Not Pretty. Iv'e Tryed. I Was Consuming 150mg To 250mg Daily Of Hydrocodone For Over Two Years And Lots Of Money. So To Me You Can't Put A Price On Feeling Normal Again.

Jerry43

Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
(female)

dreamingoutloud HB User

Hi--
I too started my "addiction history" with fioricet...it's a really bad drug...many pharmacists warned me about it, but I just shook my head, because the doctors say that it's a good drug for headaches. Anyway...I'm posting to let you know that it's very, very dangerous to stop this drug cold turkey!! The drug butalbitol is a barbituate, and if you stop it suddenly you will have a seizure, especially if you've been on the drug for a while. I was given phenobarbitol as I was detoxing from fioricet...the doctor quickly tapered me off of that, and I was fine...physically anyway...like any other addictive med you have to be ready to detox psychologically too. It took time to learn to live without this substance...but it's so worth it.

I'm not sure about the whole suboxone question, as I've never used it...but many others here can help you with that. This board's been a Godsend to me...I wish you luck on your journey...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
(female)

vickyc HB User

Yuu got that right sister, friend!! Horrible, plain and simple. May I ask how your recovery is going? I have met so many wonderful people here who has kept my sanity....well...sain! Vicky

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
(female)

dreamingoutloud HB User

Hi there VickyC

How're you doing today? I hope that you were able to have a restful night? The nights seem to be the hardest, right?

You asked me how my recovery is...it's been going well...as I get more clean time under my belt i'm having fewer and fewer cravings. When do I do get a craving it always comes under a stressful situation...and boy am I glad that I just ride it out when the next day or even next hour rolls around! I don't have any drugs left, and I refuse to ask the doctor for any more, so it's a pretty safe situation when a craving does rear it's ugly head...
I've been feeling really well...very happy to be through with the nightmare of addiction...yet always on my guard for triggers. This is the best time to come off of drugs, Vicky...the weather's gorgeous, and you're not couped up in the house!! I know that you're going to be ok, and do amazingly well!!
God's helped me through all of this...and brought me through to the other side...I've asked him to help me so many times and he hasn't failed me! I don't know if you're a religious person...I for one don't believe in organized religion, but I know that God is there...and he loves us and wants us all to be happy....If you don't mind, I'll say a prayer for you? Right now i'm going to put the screen in my window, cool off the room and try and get some sleep... I hate to toss and turn whether it's from w/d's or a too hot room! LOL!

peace, love and understanding

Dream

Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
(female)

norco18 HB User

I used sub for two months for norco abuse, 400 mg/day. It was amazing and I felt great. Energetic, no more behavorial problems, no running from dr to dr to get a script, no more finding money in places where my husband wouldn't notice, etc. I felt NORMAL. I thought a quick taper from 16 mg to 2 mg and then off would be fine. It wasn't. Taper fast, but go down to .5 if possible before going off. I am in full blown withdrawal and hurting bad, but hoping it won't be much longer. I don't want to go back. I have little kids and a husband who loves me, even though he doesn't really know me. I want to be the person he thinks I am.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
(female)

vickyc HB User

Oh Norco! I missed this thread and have questions for anyone who was on is on Subs! Today is day 4 and I am tapering myself (started today) was on 24 mg a day and I know that was way to much, cant sleep and feel more "buzzed" then when I was using! I want to be off the Subs ASAP, can you tell?! How should I taper, any words of advice..I am basically just listing to what my body is telling me. I know you posted several days ago and hope your feeling alright. Are you? You are every bit of the woman he thinks you are...after all he is still there ..Hope to hear back from you soon!

Big hugs..Vicky~

Closed Thread