It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User
Need advice please

Does anyone have any advice on a taper plan to get off about 120mg of vicodin?I have been taking about 100 to 120 mg of vicodin a day for about 7 months now.I want to get off of them but I can't do it cold turkey at this point because of work and my children.does anyone have a taper plan so that I can minimize the w/d?I would really appreciate anyone's advice.Also is there anything I can get over the counter that will help me?
Thanks
Daisey

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User
Re: Need advice please

Will someone please respond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello DJ

First, a great thread to read is the second one on this board titled "Sample Home Detox." It offers many over the counter relief suggestions.

I tapered from Oxycodone first and then from Xanax. I did long, slow tapers. truthfully, withdrawal is going to be felt no matter what method we choose for ourselves to withdraw. However, with a slow taper, hopefully functioning is still possible. I had had a complete breakdown ( as in totally non- functioning) when I began tapering so I was not in such a good place to begin with. It sounds as though you might be in a better place to start.

On my tapers, I started with four doses a day of two tabs each of oxycodone. Initailly, I cut a 1/2 tab off of one dose at a time and then waited 7-14 days to level off before the next cut. The next cut was 1/2 tab off a different dose and so on. I worked at getting the doses to the same dose as I went down. As I plodded along, I began to stretch the time before the first dose more and more... eventually, the first dose melded into the second dose and I began taking only three doses a day.

As the total daily intake got smaller, so did the cuts. I pretty much followed the 5%-10% rule, meaning that cuts should never go higher than that amount. It meant not only breaking pills, but often crushing portions of those broken pills, eyeballing a portion of the crumbs and getting the crumbs ingested by wetting the finger and licking it followed by a glass of water.

Another rule of thumb tapering from opiates... once a cut is made, it stays made. no going back up. If it means longer to level out, then so be it. I once had to wait almost 3 weeks to level out enough to make the next cut. It is not the time that is so important, it is the steady progress of making cuts and making them permanent.

I have more to share with you, but I think that this is enough for now. My own taper took many, many months. I concentrated as much as I could on the progress, not the time it took.

best wishes
reach

Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User

Thank you so much for the advice reach.I am going to try hard to do that.I am just so sick of being sick.Enough is enough .I will read the home detox plan.I was just worried about taking anything when I am still taking the vicodin.Can I take the over the counter meds while I still am on the vicodin?
Thanks
Daisey

Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Daisey

Yes, to my knowledge, the over the counters are generally fine. What is important, though, is that if you are already on a prescribed anti-depressant, do not take the St John's wort or any other 'natural' antidepressant.

The immodium helps greatly if you experience diarreha as it has an opiate like ingreident that helps calm you as well as stopping the runs. I also found that magnesium helped with the nerves ( anxirty) that is a part of withdrawal. I took one 250 mg tab in mid-morning and one 250 tab mid-evening. Also, a 3 mg tab of Melatonin can help induce sleep at bedtime. It is a natural supplement that out bodies produce to indictae time to sleep. Only take at bedtime, not during the day.

Daisey, one of the hardest things about a taper is sticking to it faithfully. My Husband held my meds for me throughout the taper to ensure I would not cheat. I didn't want to cheat, but at times the withdrawal would get to me so bad that I think if I was holding my own tabs, I would have cheated!

S I tapered, I had to work hard on understanding why I started to abuse drugs in the first place. I worked with my family doctor and a licensed clinical social worker and spent a lot of time reflecting on my own behaviour and reactions to life. This is vital to do because we must change our thinking to change, really change, our behavior.

Getting off, and staying odd drugs does involve withdrawal of course, but it also involves a whole lot of work on ourselves and our thinking. It is the ongoing part of the process and can not be ignored. Do you have a plan for help?

reach

Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User

Yes.I plan on going to NA meetings,I have already been to one and plan on attending another very soon.I have no insurance so I can not afford to pay for counseling right now.I wish I had the opportunity to go to a rehab.The tapering is hard to stick to and it is very easy to cheat but so far so good.I can not tell my hubby at the moment either because I think he would not understand and I am doing ok so far and do not want to add to my anxiety.I read alot of posts on different boards and plan on more Na meetings for now.One day at a time.I will go get some comfort meds to help along the way.Than you very much for all of your advice I need as much as I can get right now.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

brightongrad HB User

Hi,

Have you thought about going to a doctor and getting suboxone to get off the vicodin? I had tried to taper many times, it was just to hard for me, although I was taking much more vicodin than you and also using soma at the same time. I had great success with the suboxone, have been clean 13 months. Good luck with getting off, you will feel so much better. Also the meetings will help it is important to have a support system while going through this. I would try to get a phone number from someone at the meeting that you could call if you have a weak moment. I hope this helps.

Last edited by brightongrad; 04-23-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: wrong amt. of time clean

Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User

Thank you very much for the advice.I do not have insurance so I can't get suboxone.I think the Na meetings will be good for me,well they are better than nothing.Today I cut out 2 pills and I hope I can make it.If I can cut at least 2 pills a week I will be happy.I dont mind the w/d's I just cant get through the not sleeping part.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi DJ!
Welcome to the boards! You can also take a bit more of the immodium than prescribed. My doctor told me that once. That way it really helps you more, and its not dangerous if you dont eat the whole box or drink half of the bottle. Just dont go overboard.
Also Ive heard Benedryl works for sleep, but if you are one of those ppl who Bene hypes up, then I wouldnt try it.
I hope you can keep cutting back, and dont have to go thru horrible w/ds.
I remember one time when Fed ex lost my meds for 4-5 days, it sucked, plain and simple.
Are you in the city? If so there should be a ton of meetings and you certainly probably wont know anyone there!
I live in such a small town, id run into my mail carrier, grocery store cleark, vet. clinic receptionist, and best yet the town gossip.. For SURE. And it would be blabbed all over town as well.
Keep coming back to the boards, youll meet a ton of good ppl, and IM glad Reach, my buddy was able to give you some good info. Youll get the same from all of the others as well.
Hang in there, girl~
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 04-23-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User

Thank you Izzy!How many Imodium should I take at once and when is a good time to take them?So far I havent felt any symptoms of with drawl other than a little jittery and a head ach.Iam just now getting over a sinus infection and I think that is why I have the headache.I am sure more symptoms will kick in soon.I only have a few pills left and not sure when I can get more.They cost a fortune here.Like $140.00 for 30 10 mg vicodin.That is crazy and makes me sick thinking about it.I think I have about 6 left and I really want this over with I am thinking about going cold turkey after they are gone.I may wuss out later but I want to get this over with.
As for the NA meetings well I drive about 25 minutes out of my small town to another small town for meetings.There is no way on earth I would go to the meeting in my town for the exact same reasons you listed.I live in a small town where everyone knows or at least think they know everyones business really sucks.I really don't mind the ride but the gas prices can kill ya here.I have to go to them though because that is all I have for support.This board and you kind people have been wonderful also And I thank you for taking time out of your life to help me.
As for the benadryl I do not think that will work for me.It makes me hyper.I bought some magnesium and calcium,epson salt,immodium,bananas,and some stuff called SAM-E.IT is for your mood and also for joint pain.I am going to go today and get some decaf coffee because I hear that caffeine can cause more anxiety and god knows I don't need that .I can just imagine what a headache that is going to cause.I need a good sleeping pill because Valerian root and melatonin do not work for me.This ******* addiction has costed me a fortune!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Daisey

Hope you are having a good day. Smiles.

Just a couple of things to share:

Headaches ....were a constant with me throughout withdrawal. I sure didn't like them, but came to endure them by thinking of them as my brain slowly mending.

Coffee.... if you are used to drinking caffeinated coffee each day, I would not suggest coming off it abruptly. That is just going to add a whole lot of anxiety to the withdrawal from vicoden. Ease off by maybe mixing 1/2 caffeinated with 1/2 de-caffeinated. Truthfully, a cup of coffee actually calmed me a bit in withdrawal. Like a backwards effect, maybe, but it is what happened.

The supplements.... I think you will find they help a great deal.

Immodium.... I used to take three at a time.

Going cold turkey.... Daisey, we each have to choose a plan that seems most workable for us. However, I think it is dangerous and haphazard to switch a plan midstream unless the original plan is not working. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all and hope I don't, but you have just started a taper and are moving along and already you are thinking of switching gears. Whatever plan we choose needs to be carefully thought out and adhered to. I don't know if you really have a grasp on what cold turkey can be like. When I first started my own taper, my initial cuts were too big and I went into full withdrawal. There is no describing it if it hasn't been experienced. Forget doing it and Hubby not noticing immediately! If you decide to go that route, you better spill the guts to Hubby about everything ( which is something I advocate doing under any plan).

Please, Daisey, I so want you to do this successfully. I will support you no matter what course you decide on, but please make a decision and stick with it. Don't overwhelm yourself flip-flopping around in plans. There is enough anxiety in withdrawal without adding fuel to the fire with indesiveness and flying by the seat of our pants. Understand your goals clearly and then proceed into a steady implmentation of the actions to get there. Also, did you know that there are on line meetings? Do some research on them.

Strong and steady, Daisey
reach

Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User

I know I am all over the place with my feelings.I need to take a deep breath and slow things down alittle.I just want to be over this.I did ok yesterday by cutting out 2 pills and I am going to stay on that route for another 2 days and then try to cut 1 more out so that will be 3 less a day.It is better than taking 3 or 4 more like I would have if I continued down the evil path I was on.I am just so damn tired of trying to find the pills and then trying to get the money together to buy them and living my life around them.It makes me sick.
As for the comfort meds should I take 1 250 magnesium and 1 calcium along with the SAM-E in the morning?I also bought bananas and epson salt.
Look how I am worried about putting good things in my body but I would shove 10 to 12 vicodins down and not think twice.That is sick.One day at a time I guess.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
(female)

norco18 HB User

Good morning from CA. Hope your day is ok. How are the wd's? They are hard, I know, but you can do this. Try the immodium, that seemed to help me. be careful with the hot baths, especially if you are small or have low blood pressure or havent' eaten in awhile. I fainted yesterday after a hot bath.

How many are you taking now? Have you thought about suboxone? I know, I should have read back further but I am going thru some wd's too right now (from the sub) so I am not focusing very well. I was up to 40 norco-10mg a day, popping 10-12 at a single time and I know too well the horrors of finding money, drs to write scripts, etc. I got busted by the Justice Dept sending a letter to all the drs. I felt like a criminal and still fear reprecussions even though I haven't taken one since the day my pain med dr told me about the letter. Of course, he is the one who started me on the norco in the first place and then treated me with the suboxone.

Anyway, I hope you're doing ok. Post when you can to let us know. Worrying about someone else is better than being self pitying about my own sorry state.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
(female)

daiseyjane36 HB User

I am sorry to hear about your struggle.I know how you feel.I do not have insurance and never got a prescription I buy them from so called friends.It is costing me a ton of money and they really don't do anything for me anymore.I am doing a taper and so far have managed to cut 2 pills out a day.I am going to try to taper as fast as I can because I can not afford the pills anymore.So far I just have a headache and am a little jittery I have bought bananas,gateraid,magneisum,immodium,and calcium pills to take.I also have this stuff I found called SAM-E it is for joint pain and also is supposed to lift your mood up some.I wish I could afford a longer taper but I just can't.I was taking between 10 to 12 10 mg vicodin a day now I am doing about 8 but going to try to cut to 7 today and see what happens.I can not get sub because I have no Insurance and I have heard it is harder to w/d off that then the vicodin.I really hope you get well soon and all goes well with you.Just know that you are not alone.If you need someone to talk to I am here.I wish you all the luck in the world and I will pray for you.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
(female)

greeneyes1 HB User

Hi Daiseyjane. I was also addicted to Vicoden only a few weeks ago. I was taking up to 16 a day, and, like you, was spending almost every dime I made on these pills. When I decided that I was tired of being a broke, addicted, prisoner, I began to taper...one pill less each day until I was down to none. The physical withdrawals weren't near as bad with the taper. In past attempts to quit cold turkey, or when I just plain ran out, I was miserable. I decided to try the taper approach, and, let me tell you...the physical part is MUCH easier. The mental part was still a challenge for me, and I sometimes felt like I would just jump out of my skin. This lasted for about a week, but I found comfort in losing myself in a good movie, exercising to the point of exhaustion even when it was the last thing in the world that I felt like doing, and, most importantly, talking to others. Don't spend too much time alone. Face to face NA meetings did (and still do) wonders for me. I have a feeling that when the physical part is over....probably about 5 to 7 days...the mental part is what will really bother you. Please try and think of it in the way I did. It is your body telling you that you no longer have this drug in your system (yay!) and that you are beginning to heal. It may seem unbearable at first, but it doesn't really last that long. After a couple of weeks, you will probably surprise yourself in that you actually are starting to have more good moments. These good moments get longer and longer, and that is when you know that you are really going to be successful at this. Please take it from someone who's been there...it may be hard, but it's a small price to pay for the good things that follow. Just tough it out, my friend. If I can do it, anyone can! Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Closed Thread