It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

parapluie HB User
I'm off... hopefully for good this time.

I posted a thread the other day asking advice about what point in my taper I should stop taking percocet. I haven't had anything in about 2 days now and so far so good.

It's so difficult to describe how I feel. In some ways, I feel better. In other ways, I feel like crap. My head feels clear in a way that it hasn't in 4 years, but at the same time my body hurts. I am physically exhausted from my muscles constantly tightening up on me and I've been getting bad headaches. Add the fact that I feel like I "need" to take something and it can get pretty frustrating. But then there are moments when I feel wonderful... I was on the phone earlier tonight with my boyfriend and he got me laughing pretty hard and it was incredible. I felt that "feel good" feeling that you get when you laugh a lot and I haven't felt that since I got on this medication.

It's just amazing. I really had no idea how much this medication affected me until I came off of it. The best part is knowing that I'll only feel better the longer I'm off of it. That's what keeps me from taking it.

Part of me is still so paranoid that I'm going to end up in extreme pain again. The last time I tried to come off of it, I ended up in the emergency room because of how bad the pain was. I think the longer I'm off the medication, the more comfortable I'll be about that. It's just a difficult mental adjustment... I need to remember that I can manage my pain without taking 2 pills every 4 hours. I can't wait to be able to go out again and not have to carry around a bottle of water and medication with me if I'm going to be gone longer than 4 hours.

Anyway sorry about the length of this.. I just feel so happy with myself for even getting to this point. When I started the taper, part of me felt like it was pointless and like I'd never be able to get off this medication. Now that I haven't had anything for 2 days and KNOW it's out of my system, I feel like there's hope that I can stay off of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User
Re: I'm off... hopefully for good this time.

[/QUOTE]I just feel so happy with myself for even getting to this point. When I started the taper, part of me felt like it was pointless and like I'd never be able to get off this medication. Now that I haven't had anything for 2 days and KNOW it's out of my system, I feel like there's hope that I can stay off of it.[/QUOTE]

Good morning! You should feel very happy for getting to this point. I dont think its quite out of your system yet, but you are definetly on the right track. Funny how these stupid little pills can take over and run our lives.
There is definetly hope that you can stay off of them, you may feel crappy a little longer but keep at it.Its only going to get better!
Kep posting and let us know how you're doing.Be strong.You can do this!

peace,and God bless.
jerry.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
(female)

stillfromny HB User

Isnt it amaziong how when you stop taking those little devil pills your emotions and feelings start to come back to life? Thats the thing I felt right away. It was like i all of a sudden started to care, cry, empathize & laughed till i cried. As the road gets longer for you, it will only get better. You may have your up's and down's during the journey but their is a rainbow at the end of the road which you will enjoy trust me! My life has never been better and it keeps getting better.
Stay strong, stay focused, worry about YOU and pray.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
(male)

Razumikhin HB User

Dear Parapluie,

Seems like average for the worst is about 3-4 days and it gets better after that, so you're halfway home. You should be proud of your achievement! You might want to look for some of Reachout's posts - she has some really good experience and advice for the next steps in recovery.

I think many of us related to your experience - having to carry the pills around, making sure you can get water, scheduling things around your doses. I remember traveling to the east and seriously worrying that my meds, though legally prescribed by my doctor, could be confiscated by the customs officials, or worst case could be considered illegal in that country (luckily, they did not check). Frankly, I'd rather be in pain that have to deal with this anymore!

Keep up the great work, and know we're rooting for you!

Best,

Raz

Closed Thread