It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

menmybooboo HB User
Thumbs down Burning in nose from snorting hydrocodone too long make it stop!

Hey everybody, I have been trying to get off of hydrocodone for awhile now. I have tapered down what I take orally (the body aches were to bad to quit cold turkey) but now the past 3-4mths my nose has started killing me burning, stinging, making my eye water on the side I snort and I have discovered a little hole and thats where most of the burning and stinging come from.
I can deal with my nose aching but the burning about drives me crazy, I sleep about 2hrs every night its getting so bad I have tried drinking alchohol to alleviate it taking ativan but I still have to snort to coat it I don't know how else to explain it. I am commited to quitting and am not trying to make excuses but I cannot deal with the burning I would quit snorting if it wasn't for that, I am not hung up on the "novelty" of snorting anymore and it is not a must.
I cannot go to rehab, I live in a very rural area so everybody would know if I attended a meeting (which all we have is AA) the closest NA meeting is 2hrs away and I cannot get away that long and gas prices forget about it. I am afraid that I am going to get addicted to alchohol (that has been a problem before) or ativan if this continues and I don't want to quit one drug to get hooked on another. Please if you have ay suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
I have tried hot and cold compresses on the outside of my nose, alchohol, ativan and thought about packing my nose with A&D ointment and packing it, motrin doesn't help so just anything that doesn't have to do with another drug please help I am tired of checking my nose for pink residue or worrying when I am talking to somebody that I didn't get it all or my nose start running and being bright pink from Lortab. Thank you guys in advance and good luck on your road to recovery as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Burning in nose from snorting hydrocodone too long make it stop!

Unfortunately, you have developed a fairly significant side effect of snorting. I would highly recommend you see an ENT ASAP. This hole could be the breeding ground for a major infection, including MRSA, which as gone through rapid spreading throughout the general population. MRSA is commonly found in the nose, so you're even more at risk.

The hole probably needs to be surgically repaired, but I don't know for sure. I'd research it.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

menmybooboo HB User

I am scared to see anybody, the hole is not all the way through, more like a divet (sp?) I guess its starting to turn into a hole, that is what alarmed me and gave me my wake up call. Thank you for your advice.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Ohhh....Ok. I thought it was a hole all the way through. You may be right then. Does it make sense to try to taper taking the meds orally, and then try to quit from there? Have you stopped snorting?

Ex

Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
(female)

menmybooboo HB User

Yes I have tried to stop snorting but the burning is what is keeping me from doing so. I snort and take orally, I cut back orally because I was doing ALOT with the combo and am now way down orally, I have tried quitting snorting cold turkey, tapering off, but no matter what it starts burning, my eye swells and waters and I CANNOT take it.

Like I said I have tried everything from motrin cold and hot compresses to alchohol and ativan to get the burning sensation to go away so I could quit but it was always just to much. I was hoping maybe I could put some antibiotic ointment on it with a q-tip then pack gauze in it something to keep pressure so it won't burn as bad and try that route. I do try to flush with saline drops 4-5 times daily to keep it from getting dry and burning as bad but only works temporarily.

I really am not trying to be difficult but I just hoped that somehing other than ativan and alchohol will get me healed up past the burning sensation I DO NOT want to replace one addiction with another then be addicted to ativan and/or alchohol.

Thanks ex you rock and your quick answers has helped alot thank god for people like you.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello M,

It is best to see a physician about this.

There may be more to this than meets the eye.

I know that you are a tad apprehensive but it is truly the best thing for you.

Going to the ER would be the most responsible thing to do.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

maggieloop HB User

Before I read Pheonix's post I was thinking the same thing. You need to get to a doc as soon as you can. This isn't something that you want to mess with.

Are you obtaining your hydrocodone from a prescription? If you are, you may want to think about coming clean with your md about this and he can prescribe something to help with the withdrawals and also help with the nose issue.

Maggie

Old 04-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

menmybooboo:

A couple of suggestions if I may:

There are ONLINE AA/NA meetings. Just do a search for them. You will be totally anon that way. Please don't use a rural area/small town as an "excuse" for not going. You will be surprised just how many people you may know there if it is truely a rural setting. I live in a very small area, and have been going to AA with my friend (at first for support, and just to get her there b/c she was killing herself, she just got her one year chip! ). You will see Doctors, Lawyers, and everything in between. They really take the privacy thing and the "anonymous" part VERY seriously. I was so shocked to see so many "successful" folks there. But if you need to worry about that "small town" thing for whatever reason, then please don't put off joining an ONLINE NA/AA group. NO EXCUSE to not join one of those whatsoever!!

Though I don't suffer with addiction, this addiction thing is not new to me. My brother, whose birthday was Friday, died in 1985 of Chirrosis of the Liver. He only ever drank beer, and though he put himself into 4 different comas that the docs said on each one he'd never live through, he never really (HELLO) saw himself as having a problem. My point to this is....They really DO take the "anon"
aspect of AA SERIOUS!! At the meetings I've gone to it was always said, "what you see and hear in this room STAYS in this room". I also get a lot of support from this board. (I don't chime in much though).

The other thing I want to address was the point that Ex made. She's right. One of the classes I teach (college) is anatomy and physiology of the Hearing Mechanism (the ear) and through that, we study the nasal cavity. IF you were to "burn" a hole all the way through the cartlidge of the nose from snorting, you are opening up a far more serious problem and risk of a FATAL infection. By the time you would catch or know about the infection, it perhaps could be too late.

You say in that you've tried to "cut back" on the snorting.....well, here's a wake up call for you... IF you don't STOP the snorting now, I'm afraid you will have no other option but to seek a doctors help in getting it surgically repaired (and there goes your anonimity) or WORSE, you will DIE from a brain infection.

menmybooboo, I don't say these things to be HARSH or MEAN or JUDGEMENTAL, NOR TO SCARE YOU, I say them to let you see the side of addiction I've lived. Where I've lost someone I've loved due to alcohol first (my brother), and second, my best friend in the not too distant past.

Please see your physician, ASAP, and lay it all out, and ask for help. You will be surprised how empathetic and understanding and caring they can be. They can help you develop a taper to get off of the pills.

Whatever you do decide, please know that I've added you to my "special prayers" list. Good luck, I hope things go well for you in whatever it is that you decide to do. We are ALL on your side.

Best Wishes

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmybooboo View Post

Like I said I have tried everything from motrin cold and hot compresses to alchohol and ativan to get the burning sensation to go away so I could quit but it was always just to much. I was hoping maybe I could put some antibiotic ointment on it with a q-tip then pack gauze in it something to keep pressure so it won't burn as bad and try that route. I do try to flush with saline drops 4-5 times daily to keep it from getting dry and burning as bad but only works temporarily.
If you've stopped snorting, the nose will eventually stop burning and heal. If it's not a "hole" yet, then by stopping, you will not do any further damage....What's there will scar over and heal.

If it's not too far up there, I would try putting some neosporin on a Q-tip and dab it on the wound. Most Neosporin today actually has a small amt of lanicane in it, so it will help a little bit with surface pain control. This will also help it from getting infected. I use it in my nose all the time to help with the sinus infections I get....This was recommended by my ENT.

The Hyrdro you have will help with pain if you take it orally. Not sure what your condition is, or why you take it. One of the reasons it hurts so bad is that you have increased sensitivity to pain (in general) from the regular use of narcotics. This comes with the territory.

Hope you feel better @ some point.

Ex

Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

hey girl its time you grow up and stop whining and giving all kinds of excuses why you cant do this and cant do that.the only way to get clean is to do the things that you say you cant possibly do.this is bullcrap and you know it.get to the meetings and seek a drs help for the addiction and the ulcer in your nose that was caused by all the tylenol that you have been putting up your nose.acetamenaphen will set the nose on fire every time you snort it and it eats the lining of the nose up and i think you are in big trouble cause of it in my opinion.you have done this to yourself and now its time to get yourself out of it.if you continue to snort after what you have told us then all i can say is find a dr that does nose transplants cause you are gonna need one.yu know what needs to be done now get off yur but and go do it before its to late.good luck-spark

Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Spark,

There is no one that can say it more brutally honest than you..

I miss your spark replies

Best wishes,

JB

Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

thanks granny for the support,alot of times i say what alot of people want to say themselves but dont want to sound harsh if you will.im still on the board everyday but dont post alot anymore,but i need to get back in the board.what and how i say things may make the person mad but alot of times it is what they need after having been babied for a long time,yu know what i mean.anyway glad you are doin good granny,as for me im still on suboxone and might be the rest of my life its a wait and see thing right now.im on 16mgs as we speak down from 20mgs per day.good luck granny and everyone else in addicton-spark

Old 04-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Men

Friend, whether it is written with finesse or brutal honesty, the truth is in each of the responses to you on this thread. You are in jeopardy with your snorting abuse and need some help pronto.

We all suffer both physically and mentally to great degrees when we stop abusing drugs. It is an unavoidable part of the process of correcting our behavior. A professional is needed for the severe nose problem and a professional is needed to guide you through withdrawal and lots and lots of help is needed to find recovery and a restored life again.

I do not belittle your fear at all. However, the fear of letting your secret out into the open pales in comparison to the fear that I have for you if you do not get moving now on getting the help you need. Please, get it in action here and do what you must. Much better to get clean and healthy.. which is so very possible... than to die with a headstone that reads "Died because fear and embarassment stopped her from getting help." Way too much to live for, Friend, and I swear to you that it can be a happy life again.

reach

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #14
(female)

michaelw0909 HB User

Have you found a solution to this problem? I have the exact same problem, I know what your going thru. The burning is so bad it makes your eyes swell and your nose run and burn so bad.. I cant sleep at night either the pain is horrible and the only way to get rid of it is to snort another hydrocodone. I used AD Ontiment and that seems to help a little, do you have any suggestions. Thank you.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

its the acetaminaphen and all the fillers that are doin all the damage,not the hydrocodone.a hydro is one of the worst pills there is for snorting.

Closed Thread