It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
(female)

Squelchie HB User
Question New to Board....Need advice/help

Hey everyone! For 6 years a pain management doctor prescribed Methadone for pain related to Fibromyalgia...he also prescribed Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for any additional pain that the Methadone didn't take care of.
Over the past 4 months, thru a new doctor, I've been able to wean off of the Methadone...in fact, I took my last dose on Friday, 4/25. However, my new doctor has still been prescribing Dilaudid as needed.

I'm having a lot of problems with what I think are withdrawal symptoms:
1. Severe sleepiness
2. My legs ache and feel a bit restless..like I need to continually stretch.
3. Depression and at times crying.

Basically, I just feel like crap.

Right now, I'm feeling okay because I took a dose of Dilaudid...that's the only thing that seems to help all of my symptoms. I realize that both Methadone and Dilaudid are both opiate-type medications and when I take the Dilaudid it's taking care of my body's dependance.

I really don't know where to go from here....up until recently I never took Dilaudid on a daily basis...only as needed.
I was so excited to finally wean myself off of Methadone but it seems like I've got another vicious monkey that I need to get off my back.

If anyone has any advice or can help me...I'd really appreciate it. I'm married, have 2 kids and need to get back to normal (whatever that is..lol) as soon as is reasonably possible.

Thank you!!
Cara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: New to Board....Need advice/help

hi squelchie, sorry to hear of your predicament.

The symptoms you described are classic withdrawal syptoms. The thing with withdrawals is that it affects everyone differently. It took me a month to feel 'normal-ish' after tapering off 60ml of methadone (the taper was a slow gradual one). There are a number of things you can do to alleviate some of these symptoms.

1. Drink plenty of water (tonic water also contains Quinine which is said to help with cramps.
2. Bananas are a good source of potassium which is also apparently good for the leg cramps
3. Hot Baths - esp before bed (if you have any lavender oil - add it to the bath as it is said to aid sleep)
4. Hot water bottles for the aching leg cramps.
5. Light exercise will tire your legs out & release endorphins which will help with the pain relief (i think)

It does get easier tho - its a day by day process. I appreciate your situation too, its tough trying to be the 'family man/woman' when you feel like you've been hit by a truck load of wrenches.
How much methadone were you on btw?

i hope this helps

keep us posted

yoss

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Last edited by Yossarian22; 04-27-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
(male)

Friend999 HB User

Cara,

There are so many people on this forum that can help you. Some know about your particular situation, and some don;t but both types will give you caring and tremendous support.

Please keep reading and posting. You will truly be glad you did!

Friend999

Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

Lindsabins HB User

Squelchie, I amso have severe fibro and went to my first pain doctor and he said he will not prescribe meds for fibro. I was so mad and upset I just leftthe office. I have an appointment with a new DR tomorrow but I am not getting my hopes up. I almost just think I will have to learn to live with it which is so hard. Lindsay

Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

vickyc HB User

I am sorry Cara to hear that both you and Lindsay has Fibro ! It does sound like w/d's. Listen to the advice Yoss gives..I happen to think he is brilliant For the leg bends (as I call them) If your doctor can prescribe Clonidine for you, it will help greatly. It is a blood pressure medication, but does help the bends as well as the all over aches. My doc was dilaudid, and had two rough attempts at going CT, but this week went to the Dr. and started Suboxone, very expensive, but to "me" I feel as though I am still using..just legally. That is another story.... But I do wish you well, stick to these boards, the people here are a wealth of knowledge and the best supporters..ever! Love and Peace..Vicky

Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
(female)

Squelchie HB User

Thank you for your support and advice, Yoss!

I was taking 80 mg of Methadone in January and started weaning down in February...I'd cut myself down 20 mg. every 2 weeks until I was at 40 mg. and then I'd go down 10 mg. every 2 weeks.

My biggest problem now is the Dilaudid...I'm given 4 mg. pills and I've been taking 4 pills/day (at one time) just to get rid of the WD's. The doctor who is still prescribing this medication is also an acupuncturist...she's originally from Korea and I have a very hard time communicating to her the problems that I'm experiencing.
My "regular" doctor is young and has never dealt with anything like this so I'm waiting for a call back from my psychiatrist. I don't know where else to turn for medical advice.
I just wanna get off all of these meds and feel good. I guess because I was gradually coming off of the Methadone...I just didn't expect WD's...no one told me that this could happen.
My original pain management doctor who started me on all of these meds left his practice and moved to Florida so I can't very well call him.

I'm really at a loss...however, I will try the things that you suggested to alleviate some of my symptoms.

Thanks so much!
Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian22 View Post
hi squelchie, sorry to hear of your predicament.

The symptoms you described are classic withdrawal syptoms. The thing with withdrawals is that it affects everyone differently. It took me a month to feel 'normal-ish' after tapering off 60ml of methadone (the taper was a slow gradual one). There are a number of things you can do to alleviate some of these symptoms.

1. Drink plenty of water (tonic water also contains Quinine which is said to help with cramps.
2. Bananas are a good source of potassium which is also apparently good for the leg cramps
3. Hot Baths - esp before bed (if you have any lavender oil - add it to the bath as it is said to aid sleep)
4. Hot water bottles for the aching leg cramps.
5. Light exercise will tire your legs out & release endorphins which will help with the pain relief (i think)

It does get easier tho - its a day by day process. I appreciate your situation too, its tough trying to be the 'family man/woman' when you feel like you've been hit by a truck load of wrenches.
How much methadone were you on btw?

i hope this helps

keep us posted

yoss

keep on keepin on

Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
(female)

Squelchie HB User

Thanks Friend! That's what I've been doing...a lot of reading and I plan to continue posting...maybe I can eventually help someone at some point! I sure hope so!

--Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend999 View Post
Cara,

There are so many people on this forum that can help you. Some know about your particular situation, and some don;t but both types will give you caring and tremendous support.

Please keep reading and posting. You will truly be glad you did!

Friend999

Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
(female)

Squelchie HB User

Lindsay - I know what you are going through and I understand your pain. It took me being hospitalized 6 times in one year and 26 visits to the ER for pain control before anyone really started to listen to me.

I went to 3 different pain management docs but one finally helped me.

However, now I curse the day that I started taking opiate-type meds to control my pain. Everyone needs to do what they need to do for themselves...I'm not one to judge....just be careful about what meds they put you on and how long you take them.

I'm stilling dealing with Fibro...but now I've got WD's to deal with on top of that. It's not fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Take care, Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsabins View Post
Squelchie, I amso have severe fibro and went to my first pain doctor and he said he will not prescribe meds for fibro. I was so mad and upset I just leftthe office. I have an appointment with a new DR tomorrow but I am not getting my hopes up. I almost just think I will have to learn to live with it which is so hard. Lindsay

Old 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
(female)

Squelchie HB User

Thanks Vicky - I'll mention Clonidine to my doctor. I think that I could handle all of the other symptoms but this restless leg/muscle feeling is driving me insane. When I have the flu...it's always the achiness that gets me more than the other symptoms.
Mentally, I feel super impatient and I'm doing everything I can to keep my "cool". My husband is a lot of help but he can't be here with me 24/7....he has a job that he has to take care of.
I've read several people on the boards talk about Suboxone but to me it's like trading one drug for another. However, who knows...I may end up needing it...I'm not sure what's ahead of me right now.
Thanks so much for wishing me well...I wish the same for you! I'm sure that I'll "see ya" again on the boards!

Take care!
Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyc View Post
I am sorry Cara to hear that both you and Lindsay has Fibro ! It does sound like w/d's. Listen to the advice Yoss gives..I happen to think he is brilliant For the leg bends (as I call them) If your doctor can prescribe Clonidine for you, it will help greatly. It is a blood pressure medication, but does help the bends as well as the all over aches. My doc was dilaudid, and had two rough attempts at going CT, but this week went to the Dr. and started Suboxone, very expensive, but to "me" I feel as though I am still using..just legally. That is another story.... But I do wish you well, stick to these boards, the people here are a wealth of knowledge and the best supporters..ever! Love and Peace..Vicky

Closed Thread