It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

Juby HB User
Question extreme sleepiness on Suboxone

Does anyone have extreme sleepiness while taking Suboxone? My son says he falls asleep at his desk and I know when he comes home from work he goes straight to bed. He takes 12 mg of Suboxone a day trying to break a two year habit of taking Vicondin for migraine headaches. He said his doctor doesn't think the Suboxone makes a person sleepy. Maybe the Suboxone isn't agreeing with him. From what I've been reading it sounds like it gives most of you energy.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
(male)

acaptainn HB User
Re: extreme sleepiness on Suboxone

My Doc started me on Suboxone a few days ago, and told me he woulld know the dose was to strong if i fell asleep on him while at his office.

My wife and i have been taking it since monday and neither of us has had it make us sleepy.

Is it possible he is taking more than prescribed ?

We take half of a tablet twice a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

Juby HB User

It sounds like your doctor knows that it can cause sleepiness. According to him, his doctor said it doesn't cause sleepiness. He takes one 4mg tablet three times a day. I don't know how he could be taking more than what is prescribed as he picks up his prescription once a month. He told his doctor about being so sleepy all the time but the doctor kept him at the same dose. I don't know what to think anymore, but as it is he doesn't seem to have a life.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

I have been taking Sub for the past 2 months. I started at 2 mg/day and that didn't make me sleepy. I have taken as much as 10-12 mg and that makes me very sleepy. I could take a 2 1/2 hour nap during the day and still sleep well at night. My personal experience is that Sub does cause drowsiness.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondgirl19 For This Useful Post:
lodye38 (05-29-2011)
Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
(female)

Juby HB User
Question Re: extreme sleepiness on Suboxone

I showed my son the post by acaptainn and he said Suboxone didn't make him sleepy when he first started taking it. He started getting the sleepy spells after he had been taking it a month. Maybe he doesn't need as much as he is taking. It seems like the doctor would know but I wonder sometimes. He had been taking up to six Vicadin a day before he decided to get help. Because of the type of job he has, he is afraid for anyone to find out about this.
Diamondgirl19 did your doctor help you get down to 2 mgs and how did you do it?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
(male)

acaptainn HB User

This is just my opinion, but i think he is on to high of a dose, i was prescribed 8mg a day that i started monday of this week, those 8mg put me on a pink cloud, soooo happy i actually felt high !! I saw my doc 2hours ago and told him this, he decreased my dose down to 6mg per day.

Now, evryone IS different and react differently to all things be it drugs, that can be alcohol,sugar,caffiene etc.But im not a small guy i wiegh 215lbs at 5ft 7, i was taking up 800 to 1000 mg of oxycontin and 200mg on a low dose day. that went on for 8 to 10 yrs !!. Thats a heckuva lot more!!! opiate that your son was taking.

Agian i want to say this just MY opinion but its possible he is on a higher dose than his body can tolerate,, as for him not getting sleepy at 1st Sub is a drug that builds in your system ( ive read) so it maybe it took some time for it to build to a level that makes so sleepy..
Dont lower his dose on my opinion as Sub must be tapered to aviod getting VERY sick,,I suggest seeing his Doc or another Doc for a 2nd opinion

Goodluck to you and your son, Acap

Last edited by acaptainn; 05-01-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
(female)

kellibear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juby View Post
I showed my son the post by acaptainn and he said Suboxone didn't make him sleepy when he first started taking it. He started getting the sleepy spells after he had been taking it a month. Maybe he doesn't need as much as he is taking. It seems like the doctor would know but I wonder sometimes. He had been taking up to six Vicadin a day before he decided to get help. Because of the type of job he has, he is afraid for anyone to find out about this.
Diamondgirl19 did your doctor help you get down to 2 mgs and how did you do it?
if your son was only taking 6 vicodin a day--he probably didn't even need sub. and 12mg is way too much for such a small habit!! he needs to taper off the sub ASAP before he's addicted to it and has to go through sub withdrawls!!

Closed Thread