It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
am I an addict?

I sometimes take meds from my parents (tramadol and xanax). I don't necessarily WANT to do this...I do but I don't. Sometimes it's just so impulisive (I have bipolar disorder so impulse is a problem at times). I feel ok, but it's just like sometimes I want to relax more. And the funny thing is I have klonopin of my own (although that usually just puts me right to sleep...so what's the point?).

I also drink heavily anywhere from 0-4 times a week.

Am I an addict?

I hope this is not considered an inappropriate post. ?!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: am I an addict?

sounds like me - but with a different choice of drugs. Your drug taking sounds more compulsive than addiction at the moment, tho it easily & often descends into addiction. How long have you been taking the meds/drinking frequently?

Let me know - and we'll take it from there,

And by the way - its the RIGHT kind of post for this forum and is in no way inappropriate.

take care

yoss

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
I sometimes take meds from my parents (tramadol and xanax). I don't necessarily WANT to do this...I do but I don't. Sometimes it's just so impulisive (I have bipolar disorder so impulse is a problem at times). I feel ok, but it's just like sometimes I want to relax more. And the funny thing is I have klonopin of my own (although that usually just puts me right to sleep...so what's the point?).

I also drink heavily anywhere from 0-4 times a week.

Am I an addict?

I hope this is not considered an inappropriate post. ?!
Hello L,

Addictive behavior includes but is not limited to taking another's medications with or without their permission to achieve a desired effect.

As the saying goes, the devil is in the details and you mention the word "sometimes" on more than one occasion.

Also, you mention the words "want to" instead of "need to" relax more, which wages the difference in urgency.

It may be necessary for you to discuss the possible need for additional medication with your prescribing MD , for he/she may be able to offer better insight into your situation, as they would be more familiar with your medical history.
---------------------------
Binge drinking is not a good sign.

Do you experience blackouts or hangovers the next day?
---------------------------
You have to ask yourself if these behaviors are disrupting your life, for there are only two extremes here: a positive or negative effect.

*Please realize that I am not getting on your back but attempting to shed some light on your situation.*

Take care.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 05-08-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Well Yoss, the drinking I have been doing for maybe 2 years (I am 24) and the taking of drugs occurs way less frequently and I feel bad about it afterwards. Like today all I did was sleep until almost 5pm (I did take some of my klonopin too after I posted that).

And Phoenix you are right about the want vs. the need. I don't NEED it like some people who are addicted do. And yes sometimes (not always) I experience blackouts and once and a while hangovers from the alcohol. I live in a town where all the young people seem to do is drink. I know that that is no excuse because I should not be drinking anyway because of the bipolar meds I am taking. It is a bad habit.

Thank you both for your kind posts! Once when I was in the psych hospital the psychiatrist there told me I had a drinking problem but I refused to believe it. Now I am wondering if he was right.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello L,

The need to binge drink, not to mention the aftermath(blackouts and hangovers) leads me to believe that the psychiatrist was correct in his diagnosis of a drinking problem.

Some can have a casual or social drink but your need to binge is also an indicator...........

Then there's the medication/drink scenario, when you are aware that this can cause more harm than good.

Something happens when I drink............
I'm on cloud nine, at least I *****

Now what letters could those five asterisks represent?

The answer lies within that there are things that you need to do without.

The initial stage is acceptance versus denial.

Then there is the issue between "impulsive" and "compulsive" behavior.

Respectfully stated,

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 05-08-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

No I don't think you are an addict but you do steal. If you are in counseling for your Bipolar perhaps you should find out why you are stealing from your own parents. Do you steal from others/stores or ???.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

Hey Llama, have you ever looked into Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) ? i have a friend who is bi-polar and it has helped him tremendously. i also tried it when giving up heroin. its certainly food for thought.

hope things r ok with you.

yoss

keep on keepin on

Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am seeing a psychologist but I don't know if it's CBT or not. I will ask the next time I go. I will also bring this up to him, although it will be hard to admit to. I don't like to steal, but you are right that is exactly what I am doing. I don't want to do this anymore and hope I can stop. I feel really really bad.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Llama,

Don't feel really, really bad. There is a good thing here. You have caught yourself before you've fallen. You realized you have a problem before it has gotten completely out of control like it does for most people. I'm glad you are seeing a psychologist.

You are now aware of your problem and you know what to do about it. Don't take pills that are not prescribed to you and you don't want to be so stinkin drunk that you get sick or don't remember....that's no fun.

Best wishes,

JB

Old 05-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hey llama - as granny0 says - dont feel really really bad - you've done the best thing in the world! you've noticed a behaviour emerging, realised its negative impact, brought this behaviour out into the open on these boards - an admission, and now you are going to address that behaviour. sounds to me like the best way of dealing with a problem.

keep us posted as to how you get on

yoss

keep on keepin on

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I feel like I'm becoming a pill addict and an alcoholic. I stole again from my dad tonight. Why do I keep doing this? I have also been drinking heavily. I Just wish I could make it all stop. I don't see my psychologist until the 27th and wish I could be seen sooner. How are you ever supposed to stop drinking? I am not being sarcastic here, I just honestly don't ever see this happening!?!??!!?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
I feel like I'm becoming a pill addict and an alcoholic. I stole again from my dad tonight. Why do I keep doing this? I have also been drinking heavily. I Just wish I could make it all stop. I don't see my psychologist until the 27th and wish I could be seen sooner. How are you ever supposed to stop drinking? I am not being sarcastic here, I just honestly don't ever see this happening!?!??!!?
Hello Llama,

It seems to me that you are chasing a desired feeling that you are unable to get by simply using the medications prescribed to you.

It also appears that alcohol may have a "gateway" effect on you.

What I mean by this is that once you begin drinking, it increases the craving for other substances.

I have my therapists business email address, if the situation arises and not afraid to admit that I have used it a few times.

Is this an option for you?

If not, can you contact his office and explain that things are spiraling out of control and see if you could either speak to him/her, a colleague or assistant?

If things get to the point that you feel that you may physically harm yourself or others, go to the ER right away.
----------------------------------

The answer to your question pertaining to drinking is one day at a time.

Do not concentrate on tomorrow, for it will be here soon enough; just focus on today and know that whatever craving that you may experience eventually passes, if given enough time.

AA and NA are options to consider, as they can provide you with a foundation to build upon. This will help you realize that there is strength in numbers.

For support and advice, I find this board to have a vast amount of information, advice and support (not to mention caring individuals). Do not be afraid or ashamed to post; we are non-judgemental and believe me when I tell you, we understand. Our different styles of getting our points across is what completes this board, as no one person is better than the other and we all wish the same for one another; a manageable peaceful and prosperous life, without using.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Thanks for your post! It was very comforting just reading it. It made a lot of sense.

Thank you all for your kindness and help. I will keep you updated.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Hello Llama,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Take care.

Phoenix

Closed Thread