It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Smile 6 months clean

I've managed to hit the 'half year' mark !

i first posted on here six months ago tomorrow - and i couldnt imagine what was going to happen the next day, never mind six months down the line.

In this period i have relapsed on 2 occasions - each time i took heroin - and each time i actually hated the feeling/sensation it gave me. i was looking for some kind of reminiscent hit, but the drug no longer gave me those feelings - it just made me ill (after all, it is a strong toxin!!)

I have no desire to relapse again - i have had many an opportunity, but have declined.

I have turned my 'addictive personality/obsessive' behavior towards a more healthy fixation. I am mountainbiking 12 miles each day, going to the gym & eating healthily. Whooda thunk it - especially when i only gave up tobacco at new year!

For all those people tapering, and all of those going through W/d's, and all of those who have relapsed, for all of those contemplating, for all of thos trying - KEEP ON KEEPIN ON! we are ALL capable of beating this - if 'I' can do it, anyone can.

And to top it all off - i just went with my wife to have a 3D scan of our unborn child AMAZING!!! - i sure hope he aint as alien like when he pops out.

My Very Best Wishes to you all

take care - and keep winning.

Yoss

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Last edited by Yossarian22; 05-10-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User
Re: 6 months clean

Yoss, I gotta tell ya...
You are an inspiration to myself and I am sure so many others here. I can see how well you are doing in your attitude and your words.
You have made the ultimate effort and done what is very hard for so many.
6 months shows me that I can do this,too. I feel great,I'm clean,but i do ( as I bet many do)worry about the future. Your 6 month mark is a blessing for not only you,but for all of us here.

Congratulations and thanks for being here. i hope you know and realize just how much we need you here.

jerry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Great to hear you are doing well Yoss. We have been on a crazy road and its starting to straighten out for each of us. The exercise thing is so great isnt it! I try and go for a 30 minute run or a long road bike ride each day. I play a bunch of golf each day also. Summer is almost here and its simply amazing that I will be spending it with my family and NOT thinking about HOW and WHEN to get pills.

Congrats

D

Old 05-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
(male)

Friend999 HB User

Yoss, you are a "WINNER".

Keep on keeping on.

May the wind be always at you back!

Friend999

Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Yoss the Boss

Buddy, what words can I give you that could ever convey the pride I have in knowing you? You are inspirational not only in your words, but in your actions. You not only talk the talk, but walk the walk.

You plant seeds with your posts like Old Johnny Appleseed planted the trees. As you share the stories of your action adventures biking and all the crazy stuff you do, it makes us realize what huge changes can come into our lives. When you share about your little boy and the new little 'alien' you are awaiting, it reminds us that there is joy and happiness in life for us.

In reclaiming your own life, you are helping others to reclaim theirs. Who says one man can not make a difference in this world? You sure have.

Keep on keepin' on, Mate. I will never hear those words again anywhere without a secret little smile in my heart.

Love
reach

Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello Yossarian,

You have taken the "bull by the horns" and have begun to realize how much greener life is on the other side of the fence.

At first life becomes real, then interesting and then really interesting.

May your successes illuminate as brightly as they do on this board.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

Hey Yoss!! You have been a very good, constant friend on here for me. I too, am ending my long journey. I am scared, but very excited too. I know even though I've went down to the smallest mg of sub that I can, I will still probably feel bad for a little while. I just wanted to tell you what you've meant to me on here, making me laugh when I forgot what that was like. I LOVE YOU MAN!!! LOL

Don't be a stranger... and cool beans on the baby.. you know the sex yet??

Thoughts and Prayers,
Brandi
G8TRGRL15

PS - I also will not see or hear KEEP ON KEEPIN ON without thinking of you..

Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

Hi guys,

i have read & re-read all your lovely responses. It warms my heart like no drug ever could. thank you all for your kind words.

jerry - hey man, you've come a long way since joining too. i remember your first posts - and you dont sound like the same guy who wrote them. As you said - we all worry about the future - but the worry gets weaker and weaker as time goes on. The little voice that used to scream at you everyday will eventually become a whisper - then eventually 'reason & rationalization' will silence whatever is left of the 'monkey'. You've got a great future ahead of you. And you are starting to know that now. cheers mate for all your support

Hey Med - you better stick around to give me health advice for this 'brave new life' that we've both entered into. Im also looking forward to a family holiday where the emphasis is on the 'family'. cheers for your support.

A big thanks friend - at the moment i do feel like a winner and with this healthy eating regime, it feels like the 'wind' is always at my back

Ah reach just the name makes me smile. what a good friend you've been. always there to help. Your posts/replies/advice has always left me feeling helplessly optimistic . And its infectious! ive seen it pass from your posts to others. Its an amazing gift you have - they way you help people see things in a new light. And you are always there for everyone - you just keep giving like the Mother Theresa of the board. And to you - i am ever thankful/greatful.

Pheonix - i am taking the bull by the horns - but i am also aware that with my 'personality' that there will always be 'trials of life' ahead. I feel like i have lived my whole life to get to this point - actually 'living' & loving the feeling of living (if this makes any sense???). i feel the 'really interesting' life is nearly on my horizon. thank you also for your kind words & your wisdom.

HEY G8tr! Im stoked that your nearing the end of your journey! You have nothing to fear - and as you know - everything to gain. I'll never forget the first words you wrote to me - it was while i was going through w/d's and had posted that i had a 3 yr old boy to look after - some1 mentioned that 'other people' have to go through w/d's whilst holding down a job. Although that comment probably wasnt meant to sound like a harsh criticism - in my fragile state, it DID. Then you posted straight after that with helpful, supportive words that gave me that boost that i needed to keep me going. If you hadnt of posted - i can honestly say that i probably wouldnt have returned to these boards- i wouldve left licking my wounds, full of self pity. So its because of you that i stayed and - its through this that i have also got a lot 'better' So if there is anything in the world i can ever do - dont hesitate to ask - and i'll be there if you need me when you take the final step. (tho im sure you'll breeze it). If i wasnt married & looked like a certain 'football' player - i'd make you the happiest woman alive (or at least on these boards ). Again many thanks - and all my love. you're very special.

boomshanka to you all

Heres to the rest of my life (and to yours also)

good night (up early for an epic bit of cross country riding )

yoss

sleep on sleepin on

Last edited by Yossarian22; 05-10-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

I remember as well when you first posted. The child is what got to me, because I know how hard it is to take care of a little one when you are going through w/d or don't feel well. You have come so far!!! And now you are extending your family.. I just know that you are a wonderful father. Sometimes if I hadn't had you and others to come and talk to here... I don't know that I would've made it. Honestly.

So enough of the mush!! You are done, and I am just begenning another part of my journey. I will keep you posted!!

g8trgrl

Old 05-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
(female)

cakesluvscheeks HB User

~~Claps~~ Yeah for you Yoss !! I'm so happy for you. Speaking only for myself,I know you were a HUGE part of me staying sober those first few days. You're an inspiration to many and I'd like to thank you for that. Keep up the awesome work and as always you're in my prayers.

Peace Love and Skittles
Have a Grateful Day

~~dance on, dancing on~~

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

Yoss the boss.

Do you have the six-pack abs yet? I'm working on mine, but the belly fat is the last to go (why?).

Congratulations on your recovery. I am approaching the one year mark since I first detoxed. However, I have restarted my counter on every relapse, so I would be cheating if I told you my recovery is closing in on a year. I never reached the lows before that first detox, thankfully, so maybe it is a year?

Anyhow, enough of that wishy-washy talk. This thread is about you and your recovery. Life on this side is amazing isn't it friend?

mike

Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hey guys - thanks also for your comments - believe me, they make all the difference.

Cakes - its funny how things go - when i 1st posted here, there were people who spurred me on & gave me the support i needed (they all know who THEY are x x x) and i feel forever in their debt. And helping others as much as i can (if i can) is just a great way of redressing the balance. I know that you'll also be great at this too. So take care and keep posting.
as for dance on dancing on - i was told off for dancing at work today! mind you, i was spinning on my back in a customers house while they were out of the room

G8tr - im always here for u

MK ! ! I thought you'd disappeared - last seen heading off to the hills with some fine binoculars Hows things? i hope you are well & that the job has allowed you some time for a bit of ornithology. Six pack abs!? - i said by summer!! (tho its officially from march 30th til october 26th - everyone usually gauges it by when the schools break for summer, July 17th - so i've got a couple of months until 'Ab Day'
I am however getting plenty of exercise - ive lost 30lbs through cycling/aikido. So i've started going to the local gym - where i have been offered 'ephedrine' !?! i just cant seem to go anywhere without people throwing drugs at me. I must add that i politely turned them down and opted for the more physical/natural way of fat burning.
I think you should take your clean date from when you detoxed - a lapse is part of the learning curve, and how we stop this becoming a relapse back to addiction. You know all this anyway - teaching gran to suck eggs, as we say over here
Im not sold on the Richard Dawkins book - i guess im not the atheist i thought i might be - still agnostic, though i feel magnetically drawn towards Zen at the moment. I think i still lack some kind of spirituality in my life. Who knows - it'll be Zoroastrianism probably next time i post. shopping for religion is a toughy. take care my friend and keep in touch.

My warmest thanks to you all.

yoss

Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

Yoss,

Wow, thats AMAZING. i am so frikken happy for you ! you know, they say that the reason why many addicts turn to exercise to fill that "hole in the soul" is because it releases the very same chemical "dopamine" into our brains as the drug used to. so we really are getting high - high on our new lives.
thats why i turned to exercise in my sobriety (before my 2 week relapse and subsequent sub stint). ( i was sober for 5 1/2 years) i loved the high so much i work in the field now, so i can be near my passion every single day, all day.
so you've really taken the right road my friend. i will always look forward to your posts and your advice as i take my journey off sub and finally back into "real" sobriety again.

take care,

BIG HUGS,

michelle

Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

As far as the job goes, I took the diva Reaches advice. When I feel overloaded, I take a couple hours out for me, for balance. I'll stop at a trailhead and walk into the woods and listen to the wind sing in the trees; I'll catch the sweet scents of the forest as they stop for a visit; I'll watch with the curiosity of a child as life buzzes all around me.

It is working.

Well, it's time to go back to work (balance), so see ya around, buddy.

mike

Last edited by mk7657; 05-12-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hey michelle!

good to hear from you, how are you doing?
You're right about replacing the 'bad highs' with the 'good highs'. Im cycling to work & back everyday (20km) then another 10 - 15 km each evening cross country. & I'm loving it. As for your journey off sub - you've come off harder stuff than that. You know you can do it - and if theres anything i can do to help - just holler keep us posted - you are a great friend and a true help.
take care, Hugs backatcha.

Mk - im living a uncanny/symbiotic existence to yours. I have been lost in wonder whilst watching 'with the curiosity of a child' in the woods near my home. i have also acquired a pair of free binoculars when i bought my membership for the 'National Trust' (the same ammount as 4 bags of heroin in old money ) . Yesterday i sat and smelt the air for about 20 mins - just after a thunder storm. the air had that strange smell to it - like ozone, mixed with the honeysuckle on my garden wall - and i watched as a pair of buzzards (that nest locally & return each year) spiralled above the back fields catching thermals & soaring higher & higher. - ive got to get paragliding lessons next, i thought to myself wistfully.

take care - keep posting as i wlways enjoy your thoughts/comments/musings etc.

yoss

nearly late for work again!

Last edited by Yossarian22; 05-13-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Closed Thread